Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Charles Daly Hammer 10ga - A Crying Shame (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7822)

Pete Lester 08-17-2012 09:42 AM

Charles Daly Hammer 10ga - A Crying Shame

Came across this gun last night. Reasonably good dimensions, wood solid, locks functioning as they should. 9lb straight grip 30" 10ga Charles Daly with 3 digit serial number and LOM case. Light pitting in the bores and very slight wiggle when open, smooth checkering on forend, otherwise sound.

Apparently someone thought it was a good idea to polish the frame, trigger guard and hammers to a chrome like shine :crying:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...er/Daly102.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/Daly10ga.jpg

Bill Murphy 08-17-2012 10:31 AM

Is the engraving dull? Guns of that era intended for use near salt water were sometimes nickel plated. Look closely for chipping or wear to the original steel as signs of a plated gun.

Pete Lester 08-17-2012 10:36 AM

Very little engraving on it Bill, what was there appeared sharp. I have a nickel plated 32 cal Iver Johnson and it shows signs of chipping as you mentioned. This gun was very shiny with no evidence of chipping or wear to the frame, trigger guard, tang etc. Are there any other tests to determine plating?

Dennis V. Nix 08-17-2012 10:55 AM

Please allow me to inject my 2 cents of information but if the engraving is still sharp it would seem the frame is not polished to the white after all.

Richard Flanders 08-17-2012 12:24 PM

What a shame. Those old Daly hammer guns are superb pieces of work.

Bill Murphy 08-17-2012 02:22 PM

Dennis is making the same point I am making. Maybe this gun has no problem except the lack of an owner. I have some shiny Dalys myself.

Dean Romig 08-17-2012 04:57 PM

That seems to be a pretty fair price for what you're describing Pete... maybe I'll stop in for a look-see in the morning.

Bill Murphy 08-17-2012 06:04 PM

Dean, you are not only going over to the dark side, you are going over to the REAL DARK SIDE. Believe me or not. I saw my first big Daly at a show in about 1969. I finally bought the same gun no more than five years ago. I never quit thinking about it the entire time.

Ed Blake 08-17-2012 08:17 PM

Straight grip too. Bill's right. The only thing wrong with that gun is not owner, yet.

Larry Frey 08-17-2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 77294)
That seems to be a pretty fair price for what you're describing Pete... maybe I'll stop in for a look-see in the morning.

If I'm not mistaken this would be Deans "SECOND" 10 bore in the last month or two.:shock: Before you know it all those little 28's he's been collecting will be hitting the market.

Dean Romig 08-17-2012 09:21 PM

:rotf::biglaugh::rotf::biglaugh:

I don't think so!

Jerry Harlow 08-17-2012 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Lester (Post 77259)
Very little engraving on it Bill, what was there appeared sharp. I have a nickel plated 32 cal Iver Johnson and it shows signs of chipping as you mentioned. This gun was very shiny with no evidence of chipping or wear to the frame, trigger guard, tang etc. Are there any other tests to determine plating?

If the owner will let you, a drop of cold bluing on a q-tip touched to the metal will tell you if it is plated or polished. If it turns blue/brown or discolors in any way, it is polished steel. If it is unaffected, it is plated.

If you turn it blue, you can polish it back to bright with Flitz or its equivalent.

George M. Purtill 08-18-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 77294)

Dean- when you stop by KTP this morning- let me know if they have any used MEC 16 gauge loaders. thanks!!

Dean Romig 08-18-2012 07:58 AM

George, I was just yanking Pete's chain.

I have to go to a wedding in Vermont today and will visit with Austin and Pam on the way home tomorrow.

George M. Purtill 08-18-2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 77323)
George, I was just yanking Pete's chain.

I have to go to a wedding in Vermont today and will visit with Austin and Pam on the way home tomorrow.

OH darn- I love walking around KTP- I wish it wasn't so far away. there is always a sleeper in there. And some great old deerslayers out of northwoods Maine closets. And lots of used reloading equipment at a fair price.

Mark Ouellette 08-18-2012 09:14 AM

This is a very nice gun for the asking price. Would this be a Linder made Daly?

Mark

Pete Lester 08-20-2012 06:53 PM

I went back to the KTP today and returned the ROTA 10ga Skeet Gun (see other thread).

I had this Daly Hammer 10ga on hold and I looked at it more closely, much to my surprise it is not polished, it is a plated gun (I assume nickel plated). The receiver, trigger guard, steel butt plate and forend pin assembly all plated. So it is possibly all original however the barrels may have been redone???? Chambers are 2 7/8". There were no stampings of HAL or a crown over crossed pistols indicating it was a "Linder" Daly. Serial number is close to 200 and from what little information I can glean from the web this is probably a pre 1880 gun given the forend pin and made by Sauer but I don't know that. The KTP had no way to measure a 10ga bore (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr) so Scott is going to let me borrow his bore gauge tomorrow and I will return to the KTP and measure it up. I didn't think I would have a hammer gun but it is nice old gun and it is a 10ga :) plus I have a large credit that almost covers the asking price burning a hole in my pocket.

PS. While there one of their employees showed me a twist steel single barrel hammer 8 gauge. It had just come in and he bought it. What a beast!

George M. Purtill 08-20-2012 07:17 PM

God I love KTP.
Great find and best of luck on the bores.

Steve McCarty 08-22-2012 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete Lester (Post 77259)

Post deleted

Eldon Goddard 08-22-2012 04:16 PM

At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is KTP?

George M. Purtill 08-22-2012 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eldon Goddard (Post 77834)
At the risk of sounding ignorant, what is KTP?

Kittery Trading Post on Route 1 Kittery Maine. Good seafood can be found all around on Route 1.

Robin Lewis 08-22-2012 06:12 PM

Here are a couple of links to the KTP for those that never get to Maine.... Interesting store and a large selection of new and used guns:

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/

http://www.ktpguns.com/

Pete Lester 08-23-2012 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George M. Purtill (Post 77836)
Kittery Trading Post on Route 1 Kittery Maine. Good seafood can be found all around on Route 1.

Bob's Clam Hut is right next door, expensive but worth it, the best fried clams you can find.

Dave Suponski 08-23-2012 02:58 PM

Pete,Bobs Clam Hut may be good but Woodmans in Essex ain't no slouch either

Pete Lester 08-24-2012 03:35 PM

A few more pictures of the Daly 10ga hammer gun below. I stopped down to the KTP yesterday to measure it up. Subtracting ID from OD I came up with about .115 just ahead of the chamber and about .050 at the muzzle. Bores were .777, choke is almost non existent and what is there is right at the very tip, maybe .007. Cut barrels?????? or manufactured when choke was new and novel???? Anyway it's a nice gun but to my line of thinking a 10ga should be able to reach out and touch them and I don't see jug choking it or god forbid choke tubing it so I passed it up.

While I was there I saw a Remington 1900 12ga leaning in the corner with no tag. It's a KE grade, fluid steel 80% blue and working ejectors, 30" F&M, screws never turned, shootable dimensions. Checkering was all there except for a shiny coat of laquer or shellac which was also been applied to the receiver (very yellow). When I asked about the gun the clerk that was there said he liked Remingtons, set aside for himself, mentioned it was a great gun and less than $300. Then he said he shouldn't buy it because he is paying off a Parker he bought. I offered to relieve him of his anxiety and the Remmy followed me home instead of the Daly :rotf:

Here's some pics of the Daly:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0131.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0133.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0134.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0137.jpg

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/j...r/IMG_0135.jpg

charlie cleveland 08-24-2012 05:16 PM

were the remington pictures pete...you boiught a bargan in thar remy.. charlie

Steve McCarty 08-24-2012 06:55 PM

What at interesting shotgun! The original owner must have had it plated. It was common to do that to pistols as a rust preventative. I've seen a few plated rifles. But that shotgun is just amazing!

Dean Romig 08-27-2012 03:48 PM

I stopped at KTP Saturday afternoon on my way to the lake and took a look at several small bore Parkers, the big Daly and a sweet little 12 bore "Linder" Daly. probably a whisker under 7# with 28" barrels, wonderful engraving and fabulous wood! What a pretty gun... even if it is British.

Rick Losey 08-27-2012 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 78372)
I stopped at KTP Saturday afternoon on my way to the lake and took a look at several small bore Parkers, the big Daly and a sweet little 12 bore "Linder" Daly. probably a whisker under 7# with 28" barrels, wonderful engraving and fabulous wood! What a pretty gun... even if it is British.

entschuldigen Sie bitte,??? British?

Dean Romig 08-27-2012 09:16 PM

Eh??

Rick Losey 08-27-2012 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 78422)
Eh??

I would have sworn the Charles Daly Linders were Prussian

And as you say, not all German guns were heavy Drillings, they made some great light bird guns, the metric barrels come out to about 27 1/2 inches, in a light twelve or a sixteen they can be sweet in the grouse woods.

and they could turn that heavy game scene engraving to the topic at hand when they had a mind to.

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...Sauerright.jpg

Dean Romig 08-27-2012 09:39 PM

The one at KTP has the clips but not the scalloped frame. It also appears by the engraving style, that it might be earlier than yours Rick. Further, the coverage of engraving on the one at KTP is darn close to 100% coverage.
You're right about the Lindner being Prussian too.

Rick Losey 08-27-2012 09:56 PM

that one is later and a Sauer not a Linder, just an example of what the German Gunsmith had in him. My guess is that for the next few years more of these will show up as the greatest generation passes and the war trophies come out of the closet onto the market,

of course the Dalys were destined for the US market originally.

Dean Romig 08-27-2012 10:01 PM

I think my ignorance is showing...

This just shows how little I know about other doubles, especially those from Europe.
I guess I'll stick to Parkers, which have always been my focus in American doubles.

Bill Murphy 08-28-2012 08:42 PM

A poster has brought up a good point. Lindner Dalys are not found in Europe or brought back by WW2 soldiers. They were bought by affluent American shooters and hunters from the New York store of Shoverling, Daly, and Gales. They are buried in American homes, just like Parkers. My Dalys are as interesting as my Parkers, except that very few of them are provenanced. One exception would be the John Phillip Sousa Daly Single Diamond Grade which is probably the most famous Daly out there. This is the gun that he gave up to shoot the Ithaca Sousa Grade in 1916.

Dean Romig 08-28-2012 10:42 PM

W.H.F. owned a Daly at one time but sold it about the same time he sold his .410 (rumored to be a high-grade Parker) in order to help finance college tuitions for his children. The family retains the serial numbers of the Parkers but don't know if the serial number of the Daly was recorded.

Bill Murphy 08-29-2012 09:20 AM

Dean, that's a neat piece of news. It would be nice if the family would give up the serial number of the Daly if it is available. A friend here in Virginia is keeping a database of Lindner Daly serial numbers which he shares on request. I would assume that Foster's Daly was a rare smallbore, almost unheard of on the resale market. Some of our members are also serious collectors of Lindner guns as well as Parkers.

Richard Flanders 08-29-2012 06:34 PM

I was very delinquent in passing on a 24" 28ga Lindner Daly a yr or two back. It was $9k and absolutely stunning. The same shop had a gorgeous Lindner 10ga for $1700. I told some Daly collector about them and they were gone the next day....

Bill Murphy 08-29-2012 07:29 PM

I can understand that.

Andy Kelley 08-30-2012 07:37 AM

KTP is the stuff of dreams .In the last year I have gotten a nice two barrel Sauer there and also a model 21 Winchester.Staff are all very pleasant and have had many positive experiences with fellow shoppers.Over the years they have had many nice Parkers.A stop at the NH liquor outlet is always part of the trip.