Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Restoration (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Restore D grade or not? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8113)

Steve Groeteke 09-18-2012 10:22 PM

Restore D grade or not?

2 Attachment(s)
I just bought this D grade and can not decide to restore it or not. Any opinions??

Dean Romig 09-18-2012 10:53 PM

May we please see more pictures Especially pictures of the stock... both sides. It is an interesting and unique stock with a gold capped ball grip. Grade 5 and higher were the "only" Parkers with that feature unless so specified by the person ordering the gun.
You need to order a PGCA Research Letter before you do anything at all to that gun.

In any case, I would do nothing more that to properly clean it being especially careful to "do no harm" to it... it may be more valuable in its current or cleaned condition than to "restore" it.

Eric Eis 09-18-2012 11:22 PM

Agree with Dean..

David Dwyer 09-19-2012 05:55 AM

I also agree with Dean really nice D grade

Ed Blake 09-19-2012 06:34 AM

Start with a good cleaning, then decide. How are the bores?

Thanks Dean.

Dean Romig 09-19-2012 07:26 AM

"Auto correct" Ed?

George M. Purtill 09-19-2012 07:57 AM

Do not RESTORE a good used original gun.
professionally clean yes
fix yes

Bill Murphy 09-19-2012 08:44 AM

Is anything engraved on the gold grip cap? Order a PGCA letter. Gold grip caps are very rare on D Grade guns. There may be a story behind it.

Dean Romig 09-19-2012 10:54 AM

It looks like I W M.

I'll bet there is a story there!

Steve Groeteke 09-19-2012 10:34 PM

New Pictures

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks for all of the replies. I have ordered a letter. The cap looks to read WMI or IWM. I have posted more pictures. What do you all think. Not sure if I am responding properly, this is the first time on a blog.

Dean Romig 09-19-2012 10:41 PM

Steve, that is a lovely Parker. Please do not restore it.

Where are you? I would like very much to have your gun in hand to examine and enjoy its beauty.
Will you be going to the Vintage Cup in Addieville at the end of September? If so, please bring it with you and visit us at the PGCA Display tables in the tent.

Dean

Brian Dudley 09-20-2012 08:57 AM

Very nice and very interesting D grade. There is nothing in those photos, as far as I can tell, that would justify any restoration work. Screws are timed correctly and look good. Wood looks great. Checkering looks pretty crisp and engraving is crisp.

Like others have said. Just properly clean it. It looks like it could use some of that.

David Dwyer 09-20-2012 09:28 AM

That is a really nice D grade! If you are coming to the annual meeting next month in Georgetown SC, please bring it as several of us would live to see the gun.
David

Ray Masciarella 09-20-2012 05:56 PM

Do not restore!!!!!

Very nice gun

david lipps 09-20-2012 06:01 PM

Im no expert that is for sure, but I just went downt this road
Whatever you do do not have it restored. It will kill its value.
I have spoken with many many people about this same issue.

Im not sure of your tinkering skills, but actually the take down on these guns is really not that hard.

I tried several cleaning products, stick with Hoppes oil and rem oil and a soft cloth and nothing harder than plastic, that will not scratch the surface.

If the gun has been sitting for a bit, you might have some issues with the screws.
The are hard to get out, so get a good screw driver that fits the slots well, otherwise you are going to strip the screws. Each screw is designed to be used in only the hole it came out of, so remember that when you get into it if you do.

Frontier pads are great for the bores, although I finally went with chore boy which worked well.

As long as it is structurally sound its going to be a great gun

I finished my project i had started, and have even now fired the gun. Shoots like a champ. But I found I had to do a small amount of metal removal to reseat the tongue as well as to be able to get the stock to fit the barrels well.

You would never know it was done.

Whatever you do dont get rid of the patina, just remove the dirt.... Thats the best advise you will get.

D

Chuck Bishop 09-22-2012 01:39 PM

Steve,

I have your request. You didn't state the barrel length but it should be 30".

Are the initials on the grip cap J.W.M? Gun looks "right as rain"

I won't say any more, you'll just have to wait for the mailman. It will go in the mail Monday!

Chuck Bishop 09-24-2012 08:15 AM

I stand corrected. The initials should be I.W.M

greg conomos 10-09-2012 09:29 PM

Well?