Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Substitute for 20/28 20 G 3/4 & 7/8 oz (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=47094)

William Davis 09-25-2026 08:28 PM

Substitute for 20/28 20 G 3/4 & 7/8 oz
 
Running out of 20/28, only possible substitute I can find is Unique. Have used up my supply of International which worked well now unavailable. Little bit of Green Dot Left I use it in a 20 G Beretta 391. Don’t think it’s suitable SxS powder, hard to find too.

Besides Unique any advice ? AVALABLE in 8 pounders !

William

Mike Koneski 09-25-2026 08:56 PM

Unique and Longshot

Daryl Corona 09-25-2026 09:19 PM

Unique and Longshot.

Harold Lee Pickens 09-25-2026 09:46 PM

Didn't realize Unique was still.available, but still have a good supply of 20/28.

Pete Lester 09-26-2026 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William Davis (Post 453161)
Running out of 20/28, only possible substitute I can find is Unique. Have used up my supply of International which worked well now unavailable. Little bit of Green Dot Left I use it in a 20 G Beretta 391. Don’t think it’s suitable SxS powder, hard to find too.

Besides Unique any advice ? AVALABLE in 8 pounders !

William

Winchester 572 might work for your application. Go to the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center online and look at 20ga loads using Winchester W572. A couple of examples:

AA hull, Win 209 primer, 15.5gr W572, CB-1078-20 wad, 7/8 oz shot - 1150 fps 8100 psi

Fed hull, Win 209 primer, 16.8gr W572, CB-1078-20 wad, 7/8 oz shot - 1150fps 7800 psi

I don't see any 3/4 oz loads listed.

NOTE: you won't find bushing information for W572 use the data for Hodgdon Longshot to get the weight of W572 you want in a powder drop.

William Davis 09-26-2026 07:23 AM

Thanks all, I’m well supplied with Unique use it in pistol caliber lever actions and gallery loads 32/40 & 38/55. Depending on which quickness chart Unique and 20/28 very close. Many old manuals show Unique loads

I hear about Longshot as an 20G option. On the quickness charts it’s a long way from 20/28 like to hear specifics, private message is OK.

On bushings, Working up new loads, dozen shells I throw from adjustable Rifle measure. Find one I like open up a small PW bushing with a boring bar in the lathe. Stamping it with my code to avoid mistakes. PW bushings on eBay often, small ones not many buyers.

Probably going to end up with Unique

William

Mike Koneski 09-26-2026 09:51 AM

Examples-

Hodgdon Longshot

Remington hulls Ched. 209 WAA20 15.3g 9,600PSI 1,150FPS

Hodgdon Longshot

Winchester AA hulls Win. 209 Rem. RXP20 16.8 9,200 1,200

Hodgdon Longshot

Remington hulls Rem. 209P Rem. RXP20 16.6 8,700 1,200

Mike Koneski 09-26-2026 12:58 PM

You can always reduce those powder charges. Just test them with a chronograph or watch for flame coming out of the barrel. Too much flame means the charge is too light. Shoot over the chrony at 6'-8' and you'll get good results.

Craig Larter 09-26-2026 05:35 PM

I use longshot on 20ga 7/8oz loads and Unique on 3/4oz 20ga loads.

William Davis 09-26-2026 06:45 PM

Good advice. Going to load up some 3/4 oz with Unique and see if I can find a pound of Longshot to test with 7/8 oz

Thanks all

William


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 1998 - 2026, Parkerguns.org