Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Quail hunting (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32064)

Dean Romig 01-11-2021 03:59 PM

Craig - that really made me think of how windows have played a big role in my life looking through them.

Harry Gietler 01-11-2021 09:12 PM

Dont forget about HAWKS! They kill more game( birds & fur) then you can shake a stick at. Around my neck of the woods theres one on every pole! I almost forgot about our smartest bird(killer) CROWS! They destroy every bird nest they find along with a farmers crops. Harry

CraigThompson 01-12-2021 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Gietler (Post 321716)
Dont forget about HAWKS! They kill more game( birds & fur) then you can shake a stick at. Around my neck of the woods theres one on every pole! Harry

All I’ll say on that matter is this , there were A LOT of cock fighters around here when I was growing up some with the name DuPont mixed in . Anyway ANY Hawk had a tough road in central Virginia when I was growing up even after the feds got involved . I

Bruce Hering 01-29-2021 07:01 PM

Here is a pic of my field trial/dog working/show Tennessee Walker. 16 Hands and a bit broke to ground tie, could shoot off his back, could stand in the saddle to scout a dog and he likely "FOUND" more dogs on point then I did. I hunted off him in 6 states and he never missed a lick as they say. He is gone now and I miss him.....

https://i.imgur.com/uRBPD8N.jpg

Jim DiSpagno 01-29-2021 08:19 PM

What a thoroughly majestic animal. As a kid in the early sixties, I had a half Tennessee Walker half thoroughbred that I used for jump meets and he was much too skidish for hunting but tried once and he took me for a mile jaunt through the woods and not on a path either. He was a big dark chestnut standing 16.3 hands and worked with a double split curb and snaffle and a running martingale. Always rode with a forward seat saddle. I miss all my horses.

Brett Hoop 01-29-2021 10:37 PM

Bruce

Good ones are hard to replace. Just got the call last night from a friend and he moving forward with his trial first weekend in April. Judges will ride a be a few scouts.

Back in the day we had a number of open shows where we had Saddlebreds and Walking horses and hunters at all of them.

CraigThompson 01-29-2021 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brett Hoop (Post 323737)
Bruce

Good ones are hard to replace. Just got the call last night from a friend and he moving forward with his trial first weekend in April. Judges will ride a be a few scouts.

Back in the day we had a number of open shows where we had Saddlebreds and Walking horses and hunters at all of them.

Our mutual friend (Patton) had all Tennessee Walkers correct when he was in the horse buisness ?

CraigThompson 01-29-2021 11:18 PM

I think I’d kinda like to go ride in the National one time before I meet my demise . Although I might be a little to stiff and or brittle anymore to ride every race .

Bruce Hering 01-30-2021 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 323743)
I think I’d kinda like to go ride in the National one time before I meet my demise . Although I might be a little to stiff and or brittle anymore to ride every race .

If you are going to ride Ames DO NOT REPEAT DO NOT go on the weekends. Its a cluster with every cowboy and cow girl riding. It looks like a cluster and is no fun. Go during the week with much smaller crowd.

Bruce Hering 01-30-2021 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim DiSpagno (Post 323718)
What a thoroughly majestic animal. As a kid in the early sixties, I had a half Tennessee Walker half thoroughbred that I used for jump meets and he was much too skidish for hunting but tried once and he took me for a mile jaunt through the woods and not on a path either. He was a big dark chestnut standing 16.3 hands and worked with a double split curb and snaffle and a running martingale. Always rode with a forward seat saddle. I miss all my horses.

Jim: Thank you. He was a wonderful horse. He was set up (shod) to rack in the pic but he could shake his head, reach and squat when shod to walk. He was a calm dream around pups teaching them to road to the harness. I have a pic of him somewhere with pups under him with the main lead wrapped around him. He just stopped and waited for me to get em untangled.