Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cliff Green Parker's for Sale (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9760)

Bill Murphy 02-26-2013 11:12 AM

Cliff also attended the NSSA Nationals in 1937, the year the gun was built, but I am not sure when the gun was delivered, so I didn't relay his scores for that shoot. I have had many pleasant days shooting with his squadmate Joe George's son, John George. I wrote Joe George's biography for the Maryland Skeet Hall of Fame, and he was inducted on the first application. Our PGCA friend Daryl Corona also knew John George, I believe. The George family goes back several generations of waterfowl guides and competitive shooters, at least the the turn of the 20th century.

George M. Purtill 02-26-2013 11:16 AM

Nice post Bill

allen newell 02-26-2013 12:31 PM

Thank you Bill. That was very nice.

Bill Murphy 02-26-2013 01:01 PM

Thank you for all the thanks for my post on Cliff Green. By the way, in 1947, the Great Eastern had 343 entrants. 2013 will be the first year since the forties that there will be no Great Eastern. Remington has dropped their sponsorship. This year, my club will have the 77th North South Skeet Shoot, the only NSSA shoot in the country that exceeds the Great Eastern for number of shoots held. Keep in mind that these .410 scores were shot with paper shells, low gun, and variable delay target release. In 1947, when Cliff Green shot a 91 with the little BHE .410, the winning score was 95. Charles Lyman Jr. shot a 93 in All-Bore, and Charles Lyman lll broke 90. I wonder if they were shooting Dr. Lyman's Parker Invincible #233,565? That would make two great guns being shot in the same skeet shoot. The shoot records for the 1947 Great Eastern were taken from a seventeen page hand typed synopsis of all events and all 343 competitors provided by the Remington Gun Club at Lordship.

Rich Anderson 02-27-2013 09:24 AM

I stopped shooting registered skeet years ago but recall when you left a popular shoot like The State Shoot or the Coast Guard you signed up for the following year or you didn't get in. Now you can walk in on the day of the shoot and get on a squad.

Bill Murphy 02-27-2013 10:48 AM

It really doesn't matter that some shooting sports are on a downturn, the history is still there. Glass ball shooting is not very active today, but the glass ball guns are still bringing the big buck and the history of the shooters is more interesting than it ever was. Who ever thought that NSSA skeet guns would be as interesting as the Dr. Lyman Invincible or the Cliff Green BHEs? My goal in collecting is to not let the ownership and provenance of the guns be separated from the guns themselves. Many of my Parkers are not acquired for condition, but for available provenance. I realize that the secondary sale of these guns may not be as easy as similar high condition guns without provenance, but they are more interesting to me while I own and shoot them.

Rich Anderson 02-27-2013 11:28 AM

It is nice to carry the history of the gun from one caretaker to another. It gives much more meaning to the gun than just when it was made and where it was originally shipped to.

What was going through Cliff Greens head as he stood on station 4 with the 410 shooting the third round and he was clean so far?

charlie cleveland 02-27-2013 12:37 PM

i agree a gun with a good storey behind it is worth more to me than ones that not got a storey....the old 8 ga silent auction gun has many storeys to be told yet...most people would not have this gun in their collection...its a rough looking old gun but to me with its provence so far its a gun for me to treasure...i trully like the green gun and i like the stories about it..and i trully appreciate the fellows who own and keep up with these fabulous guns...but its the stories about them i like most... charlie

John Davis 02-27-2013 04:08 PM

If it wasn't for a Parker shotgun originally owned by Fred Kimble, I wouldn't have spent four years of my life researching his and having the best and most rewarding time of my collecting career.

Daryl Corona 02-27-2013 04:12 PM

Great book by the way John. Thanks for all your research as it brought Mr. Kimble to life as I read it. Will my signed copy be worth more money some day?:bigbye: