Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Opening Day II -- Teal (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=37302)

Garry L Gordon 09-13-2022 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 371844)
I’ve got one perfect for piggies and the letter states “pattern for buckshot” . Well that is if one wants to carry a 13 pound gun .

I sure wish we could use buckshot for deer here in Missouri.

Stan Hillis 09-13-2022 07:14 PM

Be careful what you wish for, Garry. While I don't know your particular situation I can assure you that buckshot is overrated for deer. And, I'm coming from a region that has a long-standing tradition of using it for deer run by dogs, though the practice has fallen out of favor in the last 30 years or so.

I'm of the belief, from personal experience, that nothing has wounded more deer that went off to die than buckshot. Buckshot is a deadly killer at close range but few hunters I've come in contact with seem to understand just how close that really is. I once shot a buck at 35 yards straight on in the front of the chest with 00 buck. Trailed him a few yards with tiny sprinkles of blood which stopped, then lost the trail. Killed him two years later and recovered the buckshot in the front of his chest that were barely under the skin, in tissue, and encased in a clear, gristle-like substance. Buck was perfectly fine, health wise, when I killed him that day with a .300 Savage.

Garry L Gordon 09-13-2022 07:33 PM

Hey, Stan, I grew up in Virginia, so I’m very familiar with hunting with buckshot…and I don’t dispute a single word you’ve written. I just want to have the idea of carrying an old double with buckshot, even if a close shot never presents itself. If I never kill another deer, I can die satisfied.

Stan Hillis 09-13-2022 07:50 PM

I understand, Garry. Hope I didn't seem to be too pointed. Didn't mean it to be, at all. Just have a sour taste in my mouth for buckshot on deer, in general. There are certain circumstances when it seems to be the best option, but it's sure not a "catch all".

Best to you, SRH

Garry L Gordon 09-13-2022 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 371868)
I understand, Garry. Hope I didn't seem to be too pointed. Didn't mean it to be, at all. Just have a sour taste in my mouth for buckshot on deer, in general. There are certain circumstances when it seems to be the best option, but it's sure not a "catch all".

Best to you, SRH

Stan, I agree with you on buckshot and your response, as always, was well founded and considered. I’ve killed a few deer with buckshot in VA as a young hunter, but once the counties we hunted in VA allowed rifles from elevated perches (VA is a commonwealth and each county can set its own regulations), I used my first rifle—a 30-06. I still wish I could hunt deer run by good hounds and carry a Parker loaded with buckshot. Alas, it will not happen again in my lifetime.

CraigThompson 09-13-2022 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 371868)

Best to you, SRH

I’m not arguing your opinion either . However I kill a deer or a few each year with buck 90% of the time with buck I loaded and or cast myself . Granted I rarely shoot at pushed deer be it by dogs or humans . Most of mine are shot at bow range with me perched in a tree . Typically it hammers them where they stood or they take a death dash and I see them fall . And on the other hand if a deer appears and I’m not happy with the shot using buckshot there’s a rifle hanging beside me to remedy those situations . Think I’ve shot at three deer in front of drives and all three bought the ranch . But again I don’t do this stuff in the typical way .

Richard Flanders 09-13-2022 09:16 PM

Teal are the very best duck for eating. So yummy!!

Garry L Gordon 09-14-2022 09:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My friend Tyler shared his photo of our take ready for consumption. He is going to use his new smoker grill on them.

Keith Doty 09-14-2022 11:55 AM

I totally agree with Richard, teal are by far the best eating ducks and these are headed the right way! Perfect to break a new smoker in with.

charlie cleveland 09-14-2022 02:32 PM

wood duck made into dressing is really good too....charlie