Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   410 Repro’s (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35199)

Greg Baehman 01-10-2022 06:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald F. Mills (Post 352719)
The scene engraving are the same as on a DHE not the grouse, woodcock etc. on a BHE repro.

I think Don's response here is close enough to what the judges have been looking for that they award him with the semi-prestigious Bachelor of Repro-ology degree. Congratulations Don!

What you've actually been trying to identify is 1 of 3 known and previously identified Parker Reproduction BHE .410s built on a 0000-frame with DHE-style engraving, the toplever, however; is engraved in the BHE-style. How do we know it's a BHE-Grade? The single bead around the bolsters and being fitted with a Repro BHE-style checkered stock tell the tale.

Now for the bonus question: What identifying characteristics and other component does this particular gun have that is not de rigueur with standard Parker Reproduction BHE's? The correct respondent will be awarded a more prestigious advanced degree and be crowned Master of Repro-ology!

Hint: The bonus question can be correctly answered by looking at the top view of this gun.

Frank Childrey 01-11-2022 04:27 AM

I see three differences: the bolsters are smaller on the Repo; the trigger plate is shorter; on the Repo; the frame does not have the lightening cuts like the original.

Stan Hillis 01-11-2022 06:15 AM

It appears in that photo that the top lever has a more pronounced scallop on the right side than on the left. But that could be just because of the lighting, or camera angle.

Donald F. Mills 01-11-2022 07:03 AM

The barrels also seem to be DHE grade like as seen by the different engraving of the dolls head and lack of engraving between it and the rib matting. Might be also related to the engraving style mentioned earlier though.

Greg Baehman 01-11-2022 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Childrey (Post 352761)
I see three differences: the bolsters are smaller on the Repo; the trigger plate is shorter; on the Repo; the frame does not have the lightening cuts like the original.

Unfortunately Frank you're comparing apples to oranges. This is a Parker Reproduction 0000-frame that you're comparing to an original Parker. Incidently, the 4/0 frame Repro does have lightening cuts.

Greg Baehman 01-11-2022 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald F. Mills (Post 352764)
The barrels also seem to be DHE grade like as seen by the different engraving of the dolls head and lack of engraving between it and the rib matting. Might be also related to the engraving style mentioned earlier though.

Don's got it! The barrels are indeed Parker Reproduction DHE fitted to the BHE. Obviously they are true 0000-frame barrels fitted to the Repro 0000-frame and not the confusing factory stamped 0000-framed barrels intended for 00-frame Repros.

Three identifying characteristics of these Repro DHE barrels are:
1. The breech band of engraving is D-style (differs from the Repro B-style).
2. D-style engraving on the doll's head (differs from the B-style).
3. No wedge of engraving on both sides of the barrel. (B-grade Repros have the wedge).

For correctly identifying the bonus question the judges have awarded the prestigious advanced degree of Master of Repro-ology to Donald F. Mills. Congratulations Don!

Note: I would personally like to thank everyone that played along with this little exercise and hope you had fun and maybe even learned a thing or two about the guns. Muchas gracias!
KNOW THE REPROS!

Donald F. Mills 01-11-2022 08:54 AM

Thanks Greg. It was fun to learn from the Doctor of repro-ology.

Greg Baehman 01-11-2022 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donald F. Mills (Post 352770)
Thanks Greg. It was fun to learn from the Doctor of repro-ology.

Nah...but thanks, there are others here that can claim that.

Frank Childrey 01-12-2022 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 352767)
Unfortunately Frank you're comparing apples to oranges. This is a Parker Reproduction 0000-frame that you're comparing to an original Parker. Incidently, the 4/0 frame Repro does have lightening cuts.

As usual, I didn't read the instructions . . . sorry about that.

Dean Romig 01-12-2022 07:47 AM

Greg, or others in the know, is the pin spacing truly that of 0000 measurement, e.g. 12/16” ?

I think I’ve read that it’s not and that the 0000 designation was strictly a sales gimmick.