Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Beavertail forend (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5992)

Dean Romig 02-21-2014 10:38 PM

Although the Repros probably represent the best buy in a modern SXS shotgun they have never been purported to have the same balance and feel of an original Parker configured the same way.

Peter Clark 02-22-2014 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 131555)
Although the Repros probably represent the best buy in a modern SXS shotgun they have never been purported to have the same balance and feel of an original Parker configured the same way.

To me at least, an older gun, be it Remington, Fox, Smith or Parker, all "feel" different when you close them. Sort of like closing a heavy door on an old Buick. I love my repros but they are different.

I lied about the virgins. I have only seen near virgins so no sacrifice was involved.
-plc-.

Greg Baehman 02-22-2014 11:25 AM

Yep, if you're lucky enough to find an original Parker with only a 2 1/4" drop and a 14 3/8" or longer LOP it's amazing how similar in feel they can be to the sweet handling Repros. :whistle:

Peter Clark 02-22-2014 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 131608)
Yep, if you're lucky enough to find an original Parker with only a 2 1/4" drop and a 14 3/8" or longer LOP it's amazing how similar in feel they can be to the sweet handling Repros. :whistle:

Oh, you mean like this one. :whistle:

Dean Romig 02-22-2014 08:13 PM

The only Repros I have handled that balanced as well and felt as good between the hands as any original Parker are the 28 gauge Repros. Twenties and twelves, to me, feel 'dead'.

No offense intended... I have and have had those other gauges as well.

Greg Baehman 02-23-2014 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 131647)
The only Repros I have handled that balanced as well and felt as good between the hands as any original Parker are the 28 gauge Repros. Twenties and twelves, to me, feel 'dead'.

Maybe you and I ought to work out a trade: My light and lively 12-ga. Trojan for your deadweight 20 Repro. Even up, eh? (just kidding!) :smiley7:

Dean Romig 02-23-2014 01:46 PM

:smiley7:................:biglaugh:

Peter Clark 02-23-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 131647)

No offense intended... I have and have had those other gauges as well.

I tested your theory Dean. Our sporting clays winter league is on and yesterday I shot a round with my 12 VHE 26" choked IC/M or thereabouts. I did not burn up the course but managed a 75. I usually do a little better but had not shot the gun for some time. Today, I shot the same course with my 12 gauge reproduction and only managed a 74. Oddly, the ones I did well on yesterday and the ones I did poorly on were reversed today. Guess I should carry two guns. The original in my hands was at least one bird better!

More importantly, son Wyatt beat me both days by 4 birds on each occasion.This is a first and he won't let me forget it. He had been shooting the 28 repro but opted for his mother's Beretta Silver Pigeon using it's 20 gauge barrels. He shot his best ever scores and is now smitten with it so I guess I can reclaim the 28 Parker Repro. Actually the 28 gauge Parker's stock is a tad straight for sporting clays.

I was chagrined enough to get out my 16 gauge Elsie when I got home and walked over to the hay barn and nailed a cottontail on the dead run. I told Wyatt he can have those clay birds for supper!

Sam Ogle 02-24-2014 09:25 AM

I am a member of the dreaded "He opened the chokes" club:
I have a 28 Ga double trigger 28" BTFE Reproduction that had mod/full chokes that were just silly tight. The "full" was over 30/1000ths. (No kidding)And the "Mod" was 20/1000ths.
I opened them up to IC/IC. I am happy, the gun handles like a dream, and my heirs can quibble over my sin, because I am not selling the gun, I am SHOOTING it.
I don't own "wall hangers;" and my motto on side by sides is: "If I own it, I shoot it."
Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE