Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Spring is Nearly Here (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32706)

John Davis 05-09-2021 05:51 PM

86 degrees and windy

Richard Flanders 05-09-2021 06:13 PM

May 9 and it's sunny and 64deg here in Fairbanks. I set up my outdoor rainwater shower for my first shower yesterday; today it's almost too hot to work outside! I think I like this program of sending our cold air to you folks down south! Most of the US is still north of the jet stream so get used to it!

John Dallas 05-09-2021 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Water temps on the Au Sable (Mich) 49 degrees. Gonna let it warm a bit before the boat gets wet

Richard Flanders 05-09-2021 08:21 PM

I got to wade and fly fish the Au Sable once when I lived in Michigan. Great wading stream.

John Dallas 05-09-2021 08:23 PM

C'mon back. I'll put you in the front of the boat

Andrew Sacco 05-09-2021 09:20 PM

Fished the Willowemoc last weekend. Water was 43 degrees. Cold for wading, and no fish rising and no bugs hatching. But managed to take half a dozen on the top with large Hendrickson emergers after failing with nymphs and streamers. Go figure. I just wanted to cast a dry fly and that fell into my lap : )

Dean Romig 05-09-2021 09:51 PM

The Hendrickson or Red Quill (ephemerella subvaria) is one of the very first mayflies to hatch in the Northeast. That was a good choice of drys to tie on, though none were hatching, they may have been a few days earlier.

CraigThompson 05-13-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan (Post 328425)
Nice. That looks like an Orvis Battenkill rod. I do a lot of fly fishing and tying and I always fish with cane. I have a couple of Battenkills, but my favorite rods are the vintage Leonards. My favorite small stream rod is a 6 ft. "baby" Leonard which I bought from the widow of the original owner. I also take it with me when I hike to above 12,000 feet for the rare greenback cutthroats in the Colorado Rockies. It is a hard hike into the trail less area using a topo and compass but its well worth the effort and pain to get there. The trout average about 17 or 18 inches in the Alpine lakes I fish.

A few pictures............a greenback, an alpine lake at 12,500 ft. that I frequent and fish and two bighorn sheep fighting. I see a lot of sheep every day at altitude. I was in the right place at the right time for the big horn fighting photo.

Harry Murray the fellow that started "Murray's Flyshop" in Edinburgh VA had me talked into going west for small freestone stream cutts . He claimed it was just like fishing for Brookies in the small VA streams . And I have the perfect rod for it , a Walt Carpenter Highlander split cane 6 1/2' 4wt that loads very nicely with a DT 3wt .

Bruce Hering 05-13-2021 07:32 PM

Wife and I are waiting for the weather to settle down a bit. Then its off to MO and AR. The White, Norfork and a couple of smaller trout and smallmouth streams and the 11 Point in MO for some of the same.

Cane rods should be the ticket for this trip. Orvis, Sweetgrass and Little River all with CFO's, Bill Baylan and an old English Sage 506 (for the 6 wt. streamer rod) reels. I am ready for it to happen.