Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Foto Fridays (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Early Mock up of great 34" case!! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29508)

Bill Murphy 03-21-2020 09:23 AM

Matthew, what are the dimensions of the big space on the left side between the barrels? It is often the case that a 34" and 30" two barrel set would have a beavertail forend. I doubt that a beavertail would fit in the case while mounted on the barrels. However, it could be placed in the big space between the two sets of barrels. What is that dimension?

Matthew Hanson 03-21-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 297065)
Matthew, what are the dimensions of the big space on the left side between the barrels? It is often the case that a 34" and 30" two barrel set would have a beavertail forend. I doubt that a beavertail would fit in the case while mounted on the barrels. However, it could be placed in the big space between the two sets of barrels. What is that dimension?

Depending on the stock length, anywhere form 11 1/4" to 12 1/2" IF I'm not correct those Beaver tails are quite long. I just might have to back up the stock even more!

Oh and I could make a little cradle to hold the Beaver tail and maybe even the other forend if it was a splintered. I was thinking about splitting up that extra space but now with the beavertail option I will defiantly consider that as a fitting option. Thank you so much Bill for the advice.

Matthew Hanson 03-21-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 297052)
Put the snap caps in their own compartment, either side of the oil flask.

That is exactly what I'm going to do Edgar! Both you and Eric said do that. Two masters can't be wrong.:bowdown: Thanks for the advice, I'm feeling better about this fitting now.

Bill Murphy 03-22-2020 11:16 AM

I have a 34/30 set with a beavertail that measures 11 5/8" X 2 7/8 if those dimensions would be useful. None of my beavertails on 12 gauge guns are any longer than that. It would be neat if a splinter forearm could be mounted beside the beavertail with an oak and felt divider. Is your compartment big enough for two forends side by side? I have never had a case where you could display two forends off the barrels.

Eric Eis 03-22-2020 12:29 PM

Matt, you are at the point where you put the case up for sale and let the buyer (that has a deposit on the case) decide how he wants the final case to be.

Bill Murphy 03-30-2020 11:43 AM

Matthew, how are things coming along with the placement of the forends?

Bill Murphy 04-06-2020 05:49 PM

Matthew, would you like to have a deposit on this case? I am liking it more as we progress.

Matthew Hanson 04-07-2020 07:59 AM

Well the case has been covered in a lot of clamps the past few days'll try and get some as close to finish photos as I can get. Looks like Bill Murphy has taken a liking to the case. Thank you Bill I'll PM you with information on purchasing this beautiful case.

Matthew Hanson 04-11-2020 06:27 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Well I am glad to say that the case is done and spoken for. Lots of challenges with a double case and this case has a few "Extras"

I wanted the case to look old and worn and have it fitted in its original splendor. I want to thank you guys for telling me to keep the outside original, really gives the case an original warm feel. Putting the snap caps and oil bottle where they ended up was a bit challenging but look much better, I thank you again for that suggestion.

1. It will hold a 30"and 34" barrel or just about any configuration of barrels.
2. Has a cradle for a beavertail for-end.
3. The 30" barrel can be stowed for-end up for display or for-end down for hauling. Just remove the little "extra" lug holder, which fits snuggly in the end.
4. Had to find and install the correct brass side locks. They took some filing and light wood shaving to get those to fit and work, but they look great.
5. Purchased a vintage key and filed it to work with the original lock. Only took me three keys to finally get it, all while not taking the lock apart. Had to think about how I thought it worked.
6. Made the dividers in the original walnut top showing and dark green baize. The case had one small piece of the original divider, which I took all measurements and design off.

Next up is a good cleaning and lint removal, then I have to box this beauty up. going to miss this case. :bigbye:

Next case I’m working on is a small 28” very vintage canvas case. Hand sewing on hand made corners and strap retainers. Going from wood working to leather work? If this Corona virus thing doesn’t get over soon, there is no telling what I’ll venture into next. Thanks again for letting me entertain you. Matt

charlie cleveland 04-11-2020 07:33 PM

the buyer should be really happy with this case....shes a nice one....charlie