Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What do I have? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3595)

Richard Flanders 02-16-2011 06:36 PM

Lordy! If that gun could just talk, eh?! Looks like a 7/16" bolt head coming out of the middle of the floor plate. Stay with us Dee. I'm sure folks will be very curious as to what gets done to this one. It looks like it was used as a halibut gun on a charter boat in southern Alaska! I bet that gun has taken a lot of birds...

Dean Romig 02-16-2011 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Lander (Post 35803)
Restoration costs for your gun should be between $1,200 and $2,000 IMHO.

Okay, it's my turn to humbly disagree with George. (no offense intended George) In my opinion the surface pitts on the barrels are nearly irrepairable and I believe it will be closer to $4K to bring this fine Parker back to what it originally looked like when it left Meriden, CT. and we still don't know what the bores look like or the internal 'action' parts either.

I'm not saying that it isn't worth it to try to restore this gun but considering the expense... it's entirely up to Dee what she does with it.
Personally, I think I would do what my budget allowed but only considering the fact that it is a "Family Heirloom".

Bill Murphy 02-16-2011 08:11 PM

Richard, I missed the hex head. However, I think it's a 3/8" bolt head. I hope it isn't a serious defect. How can we estimate a repair when we don't know if it has a stock, the replacement of which could approach $2500. Dee, let me know if you got my PM. Don't worry, Francis, I'm not trying to buy the gun. That is an inside joke, Dee, about a guy who would accuse you of soliciting if you didn't wear a parka in July.

Dean Romig 02-16-2011 09:13 PM

The 'Book' may list it as a capped pistol grip but in the picture Dee's Grandfather is holding a gun with a straight grip.

Dee Durham 02-16-2011 09:28 PM

More pictures

5 Attachment(s)
I could very well be wrong about the gun in the picture. I just found it with the gun and I assumed it to be the same. Here are more pics that I took when I got home today. I have it out, so if I need to take more, just give me direction of what you are looking for and I will do my best.

Attachment 7306

Attachment 7307

Attachment 7308

Attachment 7309

Attachment 7310

Dee Durham 02-16-2011 09:31 PM

More pictures

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 7311

Attachment 7312

Attachment 7313

Steve Huffman 02-16-2011 09:41 PM

Oh my !

Steve Huffman 02-16-2011 09:43 PM

I guess I am lost for words

Dean Romig 02-16-2011 09:44 PM

Dee.... Dear Dee, your Great Grandfather's Parker must have been a prize posession to him but after viewing the rest of your pictures I must confess that it would be best to simply hang it on the wall next to a picture of him with a little plaque stating "Great Granddaddy's once-valuable Parker".... Sorry :violin:

Dee Durham 02-16-2011 09:52 PM

That's what I'm gathering. I just looked at Mr.Turnbull's website. There he has a restored gun just like mine, and mine has wood pieces missing that were replaced with some kind of metal plate :( I'm slowly getting discouraged here, but I'm a Durham and guess us Durham's put that Parker through hell and back...lol.