Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   USPS Service (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=31898)

Kevin McCormack 12-16-2020 04:21 PM

I went to the PO last Tuesday and there wasn't another soul there in line the whole time I was there. I sent a package USPS Priority Mail regular 2-3 day service to MI (from VA) with a projected delivery date of that Saturday. Recipient e-mailed me to tell me they delivered it that Friday afternoon. COVID-19 + layoffs + Christmas rush = strange days!

Joseph Sheerin 12-16-2020 04:40 PM

Well, just got this email from USPS. I guess it's all good now.... hahahaha.

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Postal Service®. This is in response to your recent inquiry.
The U.S. Postal Service is experiencing unprecedented volume increases and limited employee availability due to the impacts of COVID-19. Unfortunately, there may be a delay in responding to your inquiry. Please be assured that we remain committed to delivering for our customers during this holiday period and will respond as soon as we are able.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Sincerely,
Your United States Postal Service

Joseph Sheerin 12-16-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J. Scott Hanes (Post 318836)
Put a first-class mailer in the local PO on 12-5. It went to the Houston DC the same night, due to deliver on 12-9 in PA. It still sits in Houston (25 miles away) as of today. Incredible!

Scott Hanes

Sounds like we're in same boat then... Mine at least got a couple hundred miles from me before landing on Gilligan's Island.... :rolleyes:

Matt Buckley 12-16-2020 05:24 PM

I have had the same delays with shipping and receiving in Minnesota. I waited in a long line yesterday at my local post office for 20 minutes. People were single file 6' apart out the front door of the post office with only one teller working and the post master standing around watching. A little irritating to say the least.

Louis Rotelli 12-16-2020 05:38 PM

I shipped a model 42 that I restored. My client wanted to present it to his son who was visiting him on Thanksgiving. I wanted to send it 2 day priority but the post office assured me it would be there in 2 at the max. It got there 3 weeks later

Sara LeFever 12-16-2020 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin (Post 318808)
That is exactly what happened to mine.... Sitting there like this since 12/11, for a couple days, they'd update and change the date as seen below... But, last time they even did that was on 12/11.

Status
In-Transit
December 11, 2020

In Transit, Arriving Late

I have two packages, one sitting in Dallas and one in Buffalo, both had been updating as "In Transit, Arriving Late", but then those updates just stopped. It is beyond frustrating, especially when one was 2-day priority. I guess the only comfort is knowing that it's happening to everyone. :rolleyes: :banghead:

Sara

Dave Noreen 12-16-2020 06:24 PM

My Wife had our taxes done a couple of days after the normal due date. She always does them hard copy and mails them, doesn't trust the internet for anything financial. She mailed them on 20 April with tracking and a return receipt. They arrived at the IRS box in Fresno on 22 April by the tracking info. We got our refund check in August. The return receipt arrived in our mail box on Monday the 7th of December!! It was stamped received by the IRS on 20 June.

On the other hand my winnings from the Ward's auction got here plenty quick via UPS.

Larry Stauch 12-16-2020 08:07 PM

Shipping USPS

I sold two boxes of shotgun shells to a guy in Virginia about three weeks ago. He sent the $40 via a USPS Priority envelope. When I received it, 7 days after he sent it, I noticed the postage amount was $26.72!
I sent the shells via UPS for $12.83 and they got there in 4 days. :rolleyes:

William Davis 12-16-2020 08:44 PM

News this morning UPS & Fed Ex are refusing packages from major shippers on the front end. Previous peak shipment times they accepted all then delivered as best they could. Now only accept what they can handle. Both cite lack of capacity with inaccurate volume forecast from large shippers.

This puts more stress on USPS who is not allowed to refuse. . Further complication all three largely compete for the same 3rd party line haul carriers. None own railroads, some own airplanes, not enough to carry the volume. Lot of air cargo went to passenger carriers in the belly. Not flying as many planes now. Most use the same contracted long haul truckers. Owner operated truck capacity has reduced.

Situation is not going to get better anytime soon.

William

Sara LeFever 12-16-2020 08:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The first week I was hopeful, the second week just plain mad, and now...