Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Shotgun Shell Reloading (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Repro Parker Bros brass shot shells (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=30025)

Milton C Starr 04-22-2020 03:56 PM

I wonder if anyone here has experimented with the teflon wraps and tss in a older gun ?
https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Te...ctinfo/TEFLON/

Joseph Flynn 04-22-2020 07:50 PM

I’m not sure I really understand how those work? Are they supposed to create a buffer for the shot to barrel contact?

Milton C Starr 04-22-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Flynn (Post 300760)
I’m not sure I really understand how those work? Are they supposed to create a buffer for the shot to barrel contact?

If I recall and dont quote me on this as its been awhile but I think they go inside the wad before you add in the shot . But yes I think it works like you said creating a barrier between the shot and bore . I have read concerns of tss going through the wad petals when firing . Not that I have any evidence to support that just a concern I seen with people loading tss .

The guys on duck hunting chat used to post all sorts of creative loading techniques . I have always read never to shoot HTL shot through fixed full chokes . I dont mind shooting lead or bismuth but its interesting to see the performance of TSS .

they also sell a mylar wrap im not sure how it differs from the teflon .

charlie cleveland 04-22-2020 08:02 PM

tss is harder than steel so you have to use aspecial wad such as a steel shot wad...i wood not shoot them in a parker unless it was a repo...they have barrels made for hard shot...charlie

Milton C Starr 04-22-2020 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 300763)
tss is harder than steel so you have to use aspecial wad such as a steel shot wad...i wood not shoot them in a parker unless it was a repo...they have barrels made for hard shot...charlie

Something about steel shot wads I have been wondering about .
The 3oz 10 ga loads I had were loaded in a steel wad that was unslit .
From what ive read though you're not suppose to load wads unslit like that .

Jerry Harlow 04-22-2020 08:40 PM

The recipes I am hand loading use the mylar wrap in 12 gauge and a 28 gauge wad top portion inside the 20 gauge wad. Both call for buffer. I find the buffer to be more as a filler than as a cushion for the shot or the barrel. The number 9 shot or even 7 is so small there is no concern with bridging as with big steel shot, and I have shot these hand loaded TSS in Parkers, Foxes, and Browning A5s, and I have no concern about the bores. The shot charge is so small because the shot is so heavy that it does not fill the shot cups. Plus it is not as if I am shooting two boxes every time I go, and the way turkey season is going the test shots may have been all that I will shoot.

charlie cleveland 04-23-2020 12:35 PM

thanks for that info j a......i may carry my old 10 ga parker and use gauge mates and use them 12 ga tss shells i bought...charlie

Paul Harm 04-23-2020 02:28 PM

Jerry, why do you think #9 shot doesn't slow down as much as larger shot ? This is the first time I've ever heard of that. Has someone taken down range velocity test ? Thanks for any help.

John Dallas 04-23-2020 03:52 PM

For an equivalent charge weight, there will be more #9 pellets than say #6's. Assuming those two charges are started with the same velocity, each charge group will have the same energy in total. Since there are more pellets in the #9 charge, individual pellets will carry less energy than their big brother 6's, and therefore will slow down more quickly due to wind resistance

Paul Harm 04-23-2020 05:09 PM

Someone please show me where velocities were taken down range of different size shot. I'm not saying anyone is wrong, but I'd like some published data. If I'm reading everything correctly, John claims the #9s slow down more quickly, jerry just the opposite. Me, I don't think there's hardly any difference to write home about other than the bigger shot will have more retained energy. But then there's more of the smaller shot.