Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Gun Insurance (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25447)

Phillip Carr 03-24-2019 10:10 PM

I am guessing location makes a difference on cost. $100,000 cost me just over $300 per year. $250 deductible.

Dean Romig 03-24-2019 10:19 PM

Who is your carrier Phil?

Phillip Carr 03-24-2019 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Dean I have been using Hanover/Eastern insurance for about 6 years. I just pulled my policy and I pay $314 for 100k. They give Parker members a 5% discount.
Unfortunately Jack as some of you may know, passed away last year. Great fellow.
There is a lady that has taken over his accounts ( don’t recall her name off hand ) but she is very helpful and knowledgable.

Eric Eis 03-25-2019 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phillip Carr (Post 269913)
Dean I have been using Hanover/Eastern insurance for about 6 years. I just pulled my policy and I pay $314 for 100k. They give Parker members a 5% discount.
Unfortunately Jack as some of you may know, passed away last year. Great fellow.
There is a lady that has taken over his accounts ( don’t recall her name off hand ) but she is very helpful and knowledgable.

Phil, I think her name is Laura Sewall, I'll have to ask if I got the 5% discount.

Randy G Roberts 03-25-2019 07:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 269842)
So, Randy, is a locked vehicle considered "attended?"

Garry the attached is what I would refer to as a typical example of this language.

Garry L Gordon 03-25-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts (Post 269926)
Garry the attached is what I would refer to as a typical example of this language.

Thank you!

Bill Murphy 03-25-2019 09:09 AM

I wonder why Paul couldn't go back to the dealer or individual who sold him the stolen gun. I have heard of similar situations and the unlucky buyer was able to recover from the seller. In turn, the seller can go back to his source. One of our members bought a stolen high grade Superposed several years ago and recovery was a piece of cake, happening very quickly.

Phil Yearout 04-06-2019 10:00 PM

I have the Eastern program; am I right that if I buy and pay for a gun that it is automatically insured during shipment to me?

Robin Lewis 04-07-2019 08:46 AM

Call and ask.

I asked them the other side of that process.... if I sell it and ship it, is it still insured and their answer was that it was, until the shipment was accepted. So the three day inspection period I gave a buyer and the shipment to him is covered. Since you haven't accepted it yet.... call and ask to be sure.

Gary Carmichael Sr 04-07-2019 10:52 AM

Eastern, has my business, and yes the lady is Laura Sewall, One thing that you need to know about Eastern, if your gun is over a certain amount you will need to have an appraisal letter for that gun, do not know what the limit is but my AA hammer gun had to have one, Gary

Bob Decker 04-07-2019 11:51 AM

I use Steve Boyett & Associates (www.antiqueguninsurance.com). The coverage is complete for travel, shipping, etc. Coverage is $150/$100,000. As far as coverage and cost this is the best I have found. In terms of records of payouts, I have none.

Robin Lewis 04-07-2019 12:09 PM

It was $50,000 when I bought mine

Eric Eis 04-08-2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Carmichael Sr (Post 270952)
Eastern, has my business, and yes the lady is Laura Sewall, One thing that you need to know about Eastern, if your gun is over a certain amount you will need to have an appraisal letter for that gun, do not know what the limit is but my AA hammer gun had to have one, Gary

Gary it's $50,000

Paul Ehlers 04-08-2019 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 269942)
I wonder why Paul couldn't go back to the dealer or individual who sold him the stolen gun. I have heard of similar situations and the unlucky buyer was able to recover from the seller. In turn, the seller can go back to his source. One of our members bought a stolen high grade Superposed several years ago and recovery was a piece of cake, happening very quickly.

It's a long story, but the short of it is: I did approach the seller and he basically told me it was my problem to work out with the Maine court system. He was banking on the fact that he was in Maine & I'm in Colorado where the overall money involved wouldn't justify lawyering-up to pursue. I do have a court ordered restitution against the thief's that stole the gun. I know that I'll never see a dime from that either, the people that stole the gun aren't the type to pay-up even if it is court ordered.

I was the lucky one in all of this, there was another gun stolen at the same time and the guy that bought is out $12,500.00

I probably should take the time and post a thread telling the whole story to shed some light on some of the things that can come up when buying guns on-line.

Phil Yearout 04-08-2019 11:48 AM

I have the Eastern blanket coverage plan which covers up to $45K; costs me $150.00 per year. I just spoke with Laura at Eastern; once you pay for a gun and the seller has accepted your payment the gun is covered so no need to add insurance coverage during shipment. If the purchase puts you over your blanket amount you need to call her and increase your coverage. If the gun is over $10k you do need to have it scheduled.

Dean Romig 04-08-2019 11:56 AM

By "scheduled" I presume you mean fully described, including the serial number?

Randy G Roberts 04-08-2019 12:01 PM

[QUOTE=Dean Romig;271054]By "scheduled" I presume you mean fully described, including the serial number?

That would be correct Dean.

Randy G Roberts 04-08-2019 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Yearout (Post 271052)
I have the Eastern blanket coverage plan which covers up to $45K; costs me $150.00 per year. I just spoke with Laura at Eastern; once you pay for a gun and the seller has accepted your payment the gun is covered so no need to add insurance coverage during shipment. If the purchase puts you over your blanket amount you need to call her and increase your coverage. If the gun is over $10k you do need to have it scheduled.

Some folks do insure up to their deductible amount through the carrier. Not a big deal but if you have a $1,000 or $2,500 deductible you may want to consider it.

Phil Yearout 04-08-2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randy G Roberts (Post 271056)
Some folks do insure up to their deductible amount through the carrier. Not a big deal but if you have a $1,000 or $2,500 deductible you may want to consider it.

Good point. Mine's only $100 so I probably wouldn't. Here's another dumb question: I've never returned a gun I've bought, but if you do, does it have to go to an FFL or can it go straight back to the sender?

Randy G Roberts 04-08-2019 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Yearout (Post 271059)
Good point. Mine's only $100 so I probably wouldn't. Here's another dumb question: I've never returned a gun I've bought, but if you do, does it have to go to an FFL or can it go straight back to the sender?

Unless this has changed without my knowledge of it the rule was always that a nonlicensee could mail a rifle or shotgun to a resident of their State or to a licensee of any State.

tom leshinsky 04-08-2019 02:27 PM

please post the contact for eastern insurance?

Robin Lewis 04-08-2019 02:56 PM

Laura Sewall

(781) 834-6578
(800) 333-7234

233 West Cetral St.
Natick, Ma. 01760-4623

lsewall@easterninsurance.com

Eric Eis 04-08-2019 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Yearout (Post 271052)

I just call Laura and the scheduled amounts very depending on your policy. If your policy is up to $249,999 it is $10,000 if it is over 250K and under 500K i's $25,000 per item, and if your policy is over $500K you only have to schedule a firearm if it's insure for over $50,000

Chuck Bishop 04-08-2019 05:04 PM

Eric, that's what I was told too for Eastern. I'm covered to 60K and my premium was $170. Piece of mind!

Bill Murphy 04-09-2019 02:18 AM

Randy, I don't think you answered Phil's question. He bought from a non-FFL. Can he return it without using an FFL? I think this is a question many of us would like to have answered.

Dean Romig 04-09-2019 07:32 AM

Post deleted. My understanding of the law has been proven in error by Randy's post of the link to the actual law.

Randy G Roberts 04-09-2019 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 271105)
Randy, I don't think you answered Phil's question. He bought from a non-FFL. Can he return it without using an FFL? I think this is a question many of us would like to have answered.

According to the "ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide" and I will quote "A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of his or her own State or to a licensee in any State". There is some additional verbiage that
clarifies that a common or contract carrier (not the USPS) must be used for a handgun. Same rule that I quoted above applies to a handgun. There is nothing that I can see pertaining to a transfer of ownership. Based upon this if Phil does not have an FFL he can ship it in State or it must go to an FFL if out of State. So it would appear the ATF does not want nonlicensee's shipping firearms out of State, right ? Wrong, if you are going hunting it is perfectly legal to ship your guns out of State to the intended State where you will be hunting as long as you ship to yourself in the care of another. Fellas I could be wrong on this as the rules are lengthy and complicated but I cannot see anything other than what I have stated above. Phil you can always call the local ATF office and inquire.

Randy G Roberts 04-09-2019 08:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I should have done this previously, attached is the rule I am referring to. Maybe you will find a different interpretation.

Phil Yearout 04-09-2019 12:39 PM

Talked with my local AFT office; according to the agent the gun must go to an FFL if I return it.

Bill Murphy 04-09-2019 06:49 PM

That's a lot simpler than the raft of rules and regulations that have been offered to us in the last several posts. End of story, I think.

Bill Murphy 09-09-2020 06:49 PM

Sorry if I killed this thread, but we need to know this stuff. Can we or can't we ?

Mills Morrison 09-10-2020 09:22 AM

A notorious old South Carolina Circuit Court Judge once told a friend of mine "That may be the law in South Carolina, but it is not the law in my courtroom today." A lot of law enforcement officers have the same attitude.

Randy G Roberts 09-10-2020 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 311659)
Sorry if I killed this thread, but we need to know this stuff. Can we or can't we ?

Bill I presume you are referring to the shipping issue previously discussed in this thread. The ATF regulations as I previously posted seem clear to me, however if an ATF agent has advised otherwise I have no response on that one. I would have to present the agent the regulations if it were me and ask for clarification if his comments contradicted the regulations but that's just me.

Jeff Peck 10-22-2020 12:41 PM

Can anyone share contact info for Laura @ Eastern Insurance ?

Jeff Peck 10-22-2020 12:42 PM

never-ending, missed the page.

Thanks !

Randy G Roberts 10-22-2020 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Peck (Post 314497)
Can anyone share contact info for Laura @ Eastern Insurance ?

https://www.easterninsurance.com/ins...toric-firearms

Ronald A Moore 10-22-2020 02:22 PM

insurance

Core Vens no longer used Travlers as their co insurance, they have a new company I cannot remember name now. I will look it up. and annotate this reply.

Ron Moore

Ronald A Moore 10-22-2020 02:29 PM

insurance

Core Vens carrier on gun insurance is Trans Guard insurance.

Ron Moore

Jeff Peck 10-23-2020 07:56 AM

Spent about 30 minutes on the phone yesterday with Laura @ Eastern/historic firearms.

Fantastic discussion, they are still offering discounts for PGCA members.

I liked the additional options for ammo, optics and reloading supplies.

Looking forward to the quote.

Dean Romig 10-23-2020 09:29 AM

Jeff, I guarantee you’ll be amazed at its affordability.