Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Quail hunting (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32064)

Dean Romig 01-06-2021 02:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 321117)
I wouldn’t mind going somewhere in the deep Old South , but I wanna ride a Tennessee Walker not ride a mule wagon .

Now wouldn't that be the coolest!?!?:cool:

That would be an absolute gas!!

Yeah - with a 34" twenty gauge straight-grip CHE - Yowza!!

Garry L Gordon 01-06-2021 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop (Post 321115)
Stan is absolutely correct. Some folks who have never hunted a wild quail have not really experienced quail hunting. Not saying that is a bad thing at all, but there is no comparison really to wild bird hunting and pen raised birds.

Amen.

Garry L Gordon 01-06-2021 03:00 PM

For several years I belonged to a local field trial club. Most of the guys participated in the horseback trials, and although we were the "poor" participants (did not own horses), we could have a ride whenever we wanted. It was quite the experience. BTW, Missouri jumping mules are quite the thing, especially among old coon hunters. They would lay a blanket over a fence and the mule would jump it. I saw one once at a horseback trial. I was fascinated, but the others looked down their noses.

Mills Morrison 01-06-2021 03:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Study for "Sunnyside Plantation" by Aiden Lassell Ripley. Also rougher study on the back.

Stan Hillis 01-06-2021 07:17 PM

The big advantage to having a couple guys on horseback, as long as they know what they're doing, is that you can get the dogs to work "wider" from the wagon and cover more fruitful territory, and it's easier to keep eyes on them from the back of a horse.

SRH

Andrew Sacco 01-06-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop (Post 321115)
Stan is absolutely correct. Some folks who have never hunted a wild quail have not really experienced quail hunting. Not saying that is a bad thing at all, but there is no comparison really to wild bird hunting and pen raised birds.

On the bucket list- wild pheasant and quail. Nothing has made me want to hunt wild pheasant like Pheasants of the Mind by Datus Proper.

CraigThompson 01-07-2021 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 321121)
For several years I belonged to a local field trial club. Most of the guys participated in the horseback trials, and although we were the "poor" participants (did not own horses), we could have a ride whenever we wanted. It was quite the experience. BTW, Missouri jumping mules are quite the thing, especially among old coon hunters. They would lay a blanket over a fence and the mule would jump it. I saw one once at a horseback trial. I was fascinated, but the others looked down their noses.

That’s the first place I ever rode a Tennessee Walker ! I will say of the horses I rode in my younger days a Walker had the most Pleasent gait .

CraigThompson 01-07-2021 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stan Hillis (Post 321147)
The big advantage to having a couple guys on horseback, as long as they know what they're doing, is that you can get the dogs to work "wider" from the wagon and cover more fruitful territory, and it's easier to keep eyes on them from the back of a horse.

SRH

I’ve witnessed plenty Uhm “sports” fall off horses in field trial galleries when the horse was walking slowly or standing still . Of course caused by the Southern Field Trialers pocket flask or thermos of shall we sat very stiff coffee . I’m not worried about being the scout for the dogs but I liked riding behind them years ago .

Rich Anderson 01-08-2021 11:00 AM

I'll second Morrison Pines, I think this will be my 7th year. There released birds early in the year and acclimate well. On occasion we will get into some wild birds as well. I have also hunted Brays Island and favor Morrison Pines. Add some flare and use a small gauge gun.
The Boys and I leave the end of the month and I can hardly wait.

John Davis 01-08-2021 02:30 PM

Once or twice a week I saddle up and run the dog. Usually ride for an hour to an hour and half, and we will find 1 to 3 wild coveys on a good day. Field trials are more like work. If handling, you can be up and down off the horse multiple times in 30 minutes handling the dog. And when judging, I've been in the saddle for as long as 8 hours straight. No lunch break and only dismounting to go to the bathroom. And if it's raining, cold and the wind blowing, that only adds to the misery.