Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   VH 16 on bun buns ! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35247)

Daniel Carter 01-13-2022 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco (Post 353104)
So....like fox hunting now in England where you can't shoot the fox. If that's what hunting comes to eventually God help us.

My sons growing through their teen years hunted over beagles every Sat. holiday and school vacation. We had cottontails although on the northern edge of their range and 100 miles south of good Hare range. A start was honored with a 15 minute pause before the rabbit could be shot. A rabbit each was our self imposed limit, for them, none for me. We had permission from an elderly hunter who brought in hares from Canada on his land, the boys could shoot 1 but i was along for the chase and to listen to the dogs.
None of us felt deprived in any way we were just taking care of what we had and making it last. Those poor dogs were ribs showing by the end of Christmas break.
It really is about the chase and not the kill.

Victor Wasylyna 01-13-2022 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerald McPherson (Post 353056)
Rabbit hunters down here don't like people who shoot the rabbits. They just want to hear the music.

Ha! The cacophony of barking hounds. To each his own. Some folks even call “jazz” music. I guess I prefer the hounds.

-Victor

CraigThompson 01-13-2022 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Sacco (Post 353104)
So....like fox hunting now in England where you can't shoot the fox. If that's what hunting comes to eventually God help us.

My neighbors on two sides ride to the hounds . They also frown at me as they know if Mr. Fox comes by when I’m sitting in a treestand behind my house more than likely Mr. Fox breathes no more .

Garry L Gordon 01-15-2022 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joseph Sheerin (Post 353063)
Rabbit is excellent table fare, I can't imagine going rabbit hunting just so I can hear a dog bay...... But, to each their own I rek'n.

I grew up hunting rabbits over dogs back in the 70's.... We used to raise a litter now and then. Been a couple years now since I hunted them over dogs, I will probably walk my place sunday with a 16ga in hand, as Archery deer season closes on Saturday.

Bring your snow shoes!:)

CraigThompson 01-15-2022 04:48 PM

My cousin and our friend told me we’d go a couple more times . I’d like to get four or five in the freezer . In the morning I’m thinking about bothering the tree rats , they should be out and about before the snow comes after lunch .

CraigThompson 01-15-2022 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Victor Wasylyna (Post 353121)
Ha! The cacophony of barking hounds. To each his own. Some folks even call “jazz” music. I guess I prefer the hounds.

-Victor

I like jazz sometimes and the bagels didn’t sound bad thursday either !

charlie cleveland 01-15-2022 04:51 PM

takre the big guns for squirls I do a lot...charlie

Garry L Gordon 01-15-2022 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 353315)
I like jazz sometimes and the bagels didn’t sound bad thursday either !

Craig, I had to read this twice. I thought for a minute this was a new culinary sensation -- bunnies and bagels.:rotf: I thought it was maybe like rabbit on toast, but hey, beagles, bagels, whatever spellcheck gives you.

BUT, you now have me thinking I might need to dig out my 26" VH and go behind the house in the snow and trail a few bunnies. I've got 20 acres of good bunny habitat out my back door. If only I had some bagels...er...beagles.:bigbye:

CraigThompson 01-15-2022 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garry L Gordon (Post 353321)
Craig, I had to read this twice. I thought for a minute this was a new culinary sensation -- bunnies and bagels.:rotf: I thought it was maybe like rabbit on toast, but hey, beagles, bagels, whatever spellcheck gives you.

BUT, you now have me thinking I might need to dig out my 26" VH and go behind the house in the snow and trail a few bunnies. I've got 20 acres of good bunny habitat out my back door. If only I had some bagels...er...beagles.:bigbye:

That wasn’t spell check , that was intentional :whistle: I’ve got a VHE 20 26” that hasn’t killed anything but skeet targets I might take that if it works out I go with them again .

CraigThompson 01-15-2022 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlie cleveland (Post 353316)
takre the big guns for squirls I do a lot...charlie

If I make it out in the morning I’ve got a DH 16 32” 2 frame on my ATV as well as my suppressed 10/22 . The way they hung around during deer season I’m going to go up a tree with my climber and perhaps I can pot a few . Snow is supposed to be here by 11 AM so thinking if I get out by 8 I might kill a couple or so . Then go in the house and try the Arkansa squirrel skinning method .