Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussions about Other Fine Doubles (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   George Bird Evans Purdey & A H Fox 12 gauges (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=41470)

Rick Losey 03-19-2024 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 407669)
I don't know the source of the GBE gun being described as "the little Purdey" because it was a horse compared to the woodcock gun. The missing woodcock gun would be correctly described as "the little Purdey".

I merely used the phase because it is how GBE referred to it himself- I'll need to get out Dr. Norris' books to see what he referred to as his "woodcock gun"

Bill Murphy 03-20-2024 07:13 AM

Thanks, but the gun itself is, as I said, a horse compared to the other Purdey.

Dave Noreen 03-20-2024 10:25 AM

In The Upland Shooting Life, on page 278, GBE discusses the 27-inch barrel Purdey Woodcock gun, then quotes Dr. Norris "The little Purdey and the Churchill here," Dr. Norris laid his hand on the other two cases, "were left to me by an old friend, Lynford Biddle. ..."

So, Dr. Norris called the two-barrel set "the Little Purdey."

On pages 279 & 280 GBE states it weighed 6 pounds 7 ounces and goes on to describe his sanding down the comb and the face side of the stock and fitting a recoil pad to get the gun to fit him and having the chambers lengthened to 2 3/4-inch!!

Dean Romig 03-20-2024 10:41 AM

I wonder what the weight of the Woodcock Gun is/was?

Bill Murphy 03-20-2024 10:53 AM

I'll let you know when I find it. I won't let it get away next time.

Ian Civco 03-20-2024 11:06 AM

Serial number and perhaps a previous auction listing of this shotgun?

Rick Losey 03-20-2024 11:40 AM

Thanks Dave

As I said, I’ve been around the “little Purdey”

And I’ve been around horses :rotf::rotf::rotf:

No comparison

Bill Murphy 03-20-2024 01:09 PM

As I recall, Biddle may have been mentioned in the Purdey letter or email they sent me. I'll bet that letter is in this house somewhere.

Dave Noreen 03-20-2024 02:01 PM

GBE also states on page 279 that the "Little Purdey" has the third fastener and side clips. Can't really confirm from the photos in the book. I would generally associate those features with a heavier Pigeon or waterfowl gun?

Rick Losey 03-20-2024 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Noreen (Post 407725)
GBE also states on page 279 that the "Little Purdey" has the third fastener and side clips. Can't really confirm from the photos in the book. I would generally associate those features with a heavier Pigeon or waterfowl gun?

I believe he does mention needing to lightly stone a side clip to seat the barrels after OH Briar (i think that's the right dog) knocked it off a table

I do have side clips on a nice light Sauer, so not unheard of on a light gun