Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Waste of time, or....? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32865)

Harold Lee Pickens 03-24-2021 02:51 PM

Wow, rough. How are the bores--that is the key if you want to shoot it. Restoration will probably come to more than what you could buy a decent Parker shooter for, still, a straight grip underlever is cool. A money pit for sure, but many of us have our money pits also.

John Cleveland 03-24-2021 02:53 PM

Interesting. So the U reflects a feature, not a grade. On the site's grade description page, a 2 is listed as E, F, G, or H for hammer guns. How would I determine which of those it is?

John Cleveland 03-24-2021 03:01 PM

"Wow, rough. How are the bores--that is the key if you want to shoot it."

Good question. I don't think I am qualified to evaluate, other than to say it looks "dirty". Not sure what the dirt is. Am I risking any thing to use modern bore cleaners and brushes? Still, I couldn't say myself whether they have shooting integrity. Do I need a Parker expert? Not sure I would trust a modern gunsmith on Damascus barrels.

Money pit may be an understatement! I don't know what I don't know. FOR NOW, it has admiration for it as a survivor in its favor.

John Cleveland 03-24-2021 03:03 PM

But, I guess if I sent it in for evaluation for restoration, experts like Turnbull could say if it were shootable--if restored. Questions, Questions!

Andrew Sacco 03-24-2021 03:21 PM

Where are you located? If anyone knows someone close to you that is qualified they'll let you know.

Dean Romig 03-24-2021 03:25 PM

The letter grade on grade 2 Lifters is determined by grip style and the gauge of the gun.

John Cleveland 03-24-2021 05:31 PM

I'm located near Gainesville, GA

John Cleveland 03-24-2021 05:37 PM

Dean, sorry, somehow I overlooked your citing it as a G because of the "Bow tie", when I asked how to decide its grade.

charlie cleveland 03-24-2021 07:05 PM

work on the gun your self if the barrels are shootable you can fix the old gun....you can watch ebay for a stock....clean the barrels out with a steel brush on a drill..wipe out with clean ragsans see how deep the pits are...if not to deep go ahead with looking for a stock...now shell not be new with you and friends working on it but ya ll can get her shooting again with not a lot of money in her...I fixed a parker in worse condition than your gun and have shot it probably a 100 times now with low pressure loads....and I m not a very good gunworker....lots of luck.... charlie

Mike McKinney 03-24-2021 07:36 PM

There are several folks all around Georgia and Western North Carolina that will be happy to help you be advised of a reasonable choice. I live in Maggie Valley, NC and will be glad to help you evaluate the Parker. You should also join our organization as you may have the beginnings of Parkeritis. It’s a wonderful disease.