Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Reproductions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Straight Grip DHE 28ga, 28” Barrels, Double Triggers On GI (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36466)

Chris Travinski 05-31-2022 12:55 PM

I still think if it had more typical wood it would have sold by now. I'm in the market for a 28 ga. repro right now and have been paying a lot of attention to the prices. They are up some, but I've noticed that the really high-priced ones are not moving. It's a typical case of you can ask whatever you want, what you're going to get is another story. There are a lot of overpriced PRs on the market right now but you can still find a decent buy if you're quick.

Greg Baehman 05-31-2022 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 364986)
It may be stamped Mod and Full but experience with Repros tells us that measuring choke constriction and patterning will tell the REAL story..

You're absolutely right Dean. I love my 28ga. 28" factory original M/F set of barrels. On a typical sporting clays course I score just as well with them as I do with either the IC/M or Q1/Q2 sets of barrels.

Because of all the negative comments that have been made regarding 28ga. Repro M/F chokes being overly tight and thus useless, many have ground metal out their 28ga. Repro's choke area. I know of several that have done so in the name of making it into their dream gun, only to learn that the grinding of the metal didn't do what they were expecting it to do. These same dreamers eventually sold their guns.

Moral of the story: If you're considering buying a 28ga. Repro w/28" bbls. stamped as having M/F chokes, measure them, know EXACTLY what you're buying as the gun may have been owned by one of the dreamers.

edgarspencer 05-31-2022 04:01 PM

When I read Dean's comment, I took it to mean 'measure the chokes because they don't conform to the stamping'.
My last 28 Repro was stamped IC and Mod, but measured Mod and Full.

Dean Romig 05-31-2022 04:18 PM

From what we've seen Edgar, they can be stamped one thing but constriction and pattern can be anything but.

Greg Baehman 05-31-2022 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 365041)
When I read Dean's comment, I took it to mean 'measure the chokes because they don't conform to the stamping'.
My last 28 Repro was stamped IC and Mod, but measured Mod and Full.

I think we both had similar, but different understandings of what Dean said. Your understanding was to "measure the chokes because they don't conform to the stamping", mine was that "M/F (or IC/M) patterns can vary with load selection".

Dean Romig 05-31-2022 04:58 PM

My original meaning was that of the first, that they don't always conform to the markings. After the constrictions are determined different manufacturers' loads/shells can be experimented with.

edgarspencer 05-31-2022 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 365048)
I think we both had similar, but different understandings of what Dean said. Your understanding was to "measure the chokes because they don't conform to the stamping", mine was that "M/F (or IC/M) patterns can vary with load selection".

I'm not sure any load will give IC and MOD patterns with .015" and .021" chokes.

Greg Baehman 05-31-2022 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgarspencer (Post 365058)
I'm not sure any load will give IC and MOD patterns with .015" and .021" chokes.

Why wouldn't spreaders do it?

edgarspencer 05-31-2022 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg Baehman (Post 365059)
Why wouldn't spreaders do it?

From a purely academic perspective, they would. From a practical perspective, Spreader inserts for 28ga are likely not available, for the handloader. Also, Spreaders are generally only available in target shot. There are those who would want the 28 for hunting. Are there spreaders in 5, 6 71/2?
Let me counter with a question; Why not bore it, as stamped, or stamp it, as bored?

Call me a 'dreamer' if you like, but I bought the gun wanting a true IC and MOD. If I didn't already have a couple Meriden made 28ga guns, I'd have those barrels up to Mike Orlen in a heartbeat

Greg Baehman 05-31-2022 07:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Edgar, 99.96% of my shooting is done with reloads. About the only time I buy and shoot new shells is to replenish hulls for reloading. As a reloader of 28ga. I still have a bag and a half (500/bag) of 28ga. Spred-R inserts, but having 28ga. Repros choked Q1/Q2, IC/M and M/F I have little need to load up Spred-R's for my shooting needs. I can just use another set of barrels, but if the need arises I have a lifetime supply of the inserts on hand just in case. I don't know why the Spred-R would't work just as efficiently with #5, 6 or 7 1/2 shot as they do with 8s or 9s.

As for your counter question, I haven't any idea -- you'd expect that the gun would produce patterns commensurate with its choke designation. I also have to believe that your IC/M stamped Repro with .015/.021 constrictions falls outside the norm and is an exception rather than the rule.

Maybe you should have measured that IC/M stamped barrels before you wrote the check, eh?