Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Hunting with Parkers (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   its getting close to turkey season (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=12792)

Mills Morrison 02-19-2014 07:50 AM

Well, the season is a good month away for us.:crying:

charlie cleveland 02-19-2014 09:22 AM

boy thats a long time mills...its just short of 4 weeks for us... charlie

wayne goerres 02-19-2014 09:54 AM

Sounds like both seasons start about the same time.

Destry L. Hoffard 02-19-2014 11:50 AM

Charlie that's a 4 gauge load in an 8 gauge shell. I can't imagine what something like that might do to the stock on that gun. It's yours obviously, but I'd sure be careful.

DLH

charlie cleveland 02-19-2014 01:49 PM

thanks for your concern destrey... i m keeping the powder cut down in fact i loaded up some 3 oz loads this morning shot the old gun useing 40 grains of blue dot then upped it to 45 grains..not much kick from the 40 grain load and the 45 grain load was just right..have not patterned them yet but will soon.. i know you would not want this old gun back with a broke stock..ha but really i ve read up a whole lot on the use of 2 3/4 oz and 3 oz loads in a 8 ga atkins wrote of his useing the 2 3/4 oz loads and said he would not be afraid of the 3 oz loads..a 15 lb 8 will handle this load with ease...45 grains of bluedot is a pleasant load to shoot with 3 ounce of shot...charlie

Steve McCarty 02-24-2014 06:23 PM

Talking with a guy yesterday who said that his property is overloaded with turkey. He went on to say that they were horrible eat'n. Is that true? I've never eaten a wild turkey (drunk some).

The fellow said that he took some and raised them, feeding them corn, etc and they were pretty good. Said the dark meat is really dark. Said his dog wouldn't eat a genuine wild turkey. Are they really that bad?

Mills Morrison 02-24-2014 06:36 PM

Yes they are horrible eating. Send any you have to me and I will eat it for you.

Ha! Eat a wild turkey and the store bought ones won't ever taste as good.

Dean Romig 02-24-2014 07:05 PM

I'll generally toss the wings and drumsticks... sometimes the thighs are good if you don't overcook them.
The breast meat is great! Way better than storebought... has a wonderful "nutty" flavor, but keep it moist - don't overcook it either or it will be too dry.

Angel Cruz 02-25-2014 11:32 AM

From what I've been told the only part worth eating on the Osceola are the thighs. Everything else is muscle. Hopefully I'll get a chance to find out come March the 23rd.

Jerry Harlow 02-25-2014 12:23 PM

All of a wild turkey is good. Sometimes they may eat wild onions later in the spring and there may be that taste there.

But while growing up and even now my favorite part of a turkey was the dark meat on the legs made into a hash.

Same with geese, which have the same tough legs. Cook them a long time until the meat falls off the bone, pick out the meat from the leaders that will fall out (never seen so many), cut it up. Cook up small cubed potatoes, onions, add meat, flour and water beaten/made into a thickening, lots of salt and pepper, a good portion of butter (and a little Old Bay), simmer, and it is the greatest meal with peanut butter toast. Guess what I'm eating now?

Wife is making me clean the freezer from springs past.