Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Wild Game Recipes (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Your favorite way to prep goose breast ? (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35241)

Joe Dreisch 01-13-2022 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daryl Corona (Post 353008)
I soak every game bird I expect to eat in buttermilk. Works on venison too.

The buttermilk works well with fish fillets, as well.
For goose breast fillets and deer backstraps I like to soak them overnight in the refrigerator in a gallon ziploc bag with a bottle of Lawry's Ginger Sesame marinade and grill them over charcoal the following day. That was a deer camp staple for many years.

Jim Kremmel 01-13-2022 11:06 AM

I’m not going goose hunting anytime soon, but I watched a couple of videos on YouTube where they were grinding the breasts and making snack sticks. Apparently a good way to use up meat by those in the goose hunting fraternity.

Breck Gorman 01-13-2022 11:47 AM

https://honest-food.net/goose-pastrami-recipe/

I tried a bunch of ways to cook goose so that my family would eat it. There was one Louisiana recipe for a wild rice casserole that began by chunking the goose breast and boiling it in crab boil for an hour. That tells you something about goose breast
I also wrapped popper in bacon. Family still didn’t like the taste of goose.
I started passing up shots on geese, until I found the recipe above.
Goose pastrami is so damn good. Most people say it’s by far the best goose they’ve ever eaten and some say it’s the best pastrami they’ve ever eaten. I don’t waste my time cooking goose any other way anymore.

Andrew Sacco 01-13-2022 12:00 PM

For ducks, I hunted with a guy who would let a hibachi get hot shore side while packing up decoys dogs and gear. Breast out the mallard, salt and pepper it heavily. Push some charcoal to make one side of the hibachi a little hotter. On the weaker side put two "Everything" bagels cut side down. On the hot side put the duck breasts. Turn the duck breasts pretty regularly. When the bagel is nice and getting a bit charred, take off the duck, put it on the bagel and eat. Fantastic. A bit rare in the middle against crunchy char broiled bagel is magic with hot coffee. I'm not sure that will work with goose!

Stephen Hodges 01-13-2022 12:37 PM

Ok, I will give up a family recipe for goose. My grandfather told us not to ever let this secret out but I will do so for my Parker friends. Filet the breasts and soak overnight in virgin olive oil in the refrigerator. Remove the next day and cover with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Put back in the refrigerator overnight. Remove on the third day and wrap with bacon. Grill on high until the breasts are medium rare. Remove from the grill and let rest in a warmed pan for exactly fifteen minutes. Slice thin, against the grain and the goose meat is often tough. On the way to the table throw out the goose meat and serve the bacon.:) It is wonderful!!!!

Daryl Corona 01-13-2022 01:14 PM

Seriously, spending my entire life so far here in the Chesapeake Bay region and killing hundreds upon hundreds of geese I can honestly say that I've cooked them every way imaginable and I've never run into tough goose that was inedible. Like venison, it's all in the field care, aging and cooking that makes the difference.

Joseph Sheerin 01-13-2022 03:00 PM

When it comes to geese......

I can just about imediately tell how it's going to be as table fare, when I cut into the breast meat. Some are so tuff, they barely are good for jerky..... I think this is because a lot of the geese I kill around here, are actually old golf course geese....

Now, assuming it's a nice tender goose, there isn't much better you can do with them than goose poppers.... Marinate over night in favorite marinade, then cut into thin sliced across the breast. Wrap the breast around a sliver of jalepeno, and cream cheese, then wrap in bacon and grill til the bacon is done.

If it's a really tender goose, goose kabobs are excellent, and difficult to tell difference from a beef kabob....

Matt Buckley 01-13-2022 07:56 PM

A recipe that works well for me that my wife and kids really like is sticking a goose breast in the crock pot with and cut up onion, a can of cream of mushroom soup, a can of crushed tomatoes, and a cup of water. The acid in the tomatoes helps tenderize the meat and makes an excellent gravy for the meat and to eat over potatoes, noodles, etc. You can season the meat however you like and cook all day.

Milton C Starr 01-13-2022 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breck Gorman (Post 353036)

I tried a bunch of ways to cook goose so that my family would eat it. There was one Louisiana recipe for a wild rice casserole that began by chunking the goose breast and boiling it in crab boil for an hour. That tells you something about goose breast
Goose pastrami is so damn good. Most people say it’s by far the best goose they’ve ever eaten and some say it’s the best pastrami they’ve ever eaten. I don’t waste my time cooking goose any other way anymore.

The goose pastrami is one I see mentioned a fair bit and it sounds like the best route if all else fails.

Has anyone tried making jerky out of goose? Ive had jerky made from just about everything even kangaroo to me jerky taste like jerky regardless of the meat used.

For goose sausage I wonder if there is a preferred blend? The local game processing stores will mix it with anything you want. Normally its deer sausage mixed wtih a % of hog. Personally for me the leaner the better but most people prefer a bit more fat content in their sausage mix.

As well I will finally get to see how these #2 Bismuth loads perform out of the 10 ga I guess its a good thing I saved some of them. The geese here having been flying pretty low and never seemed to pay us any attention while deer hunting. Makes me wonder if these are local birds that arent shy around people, normally you can get within spitting distance of them.

Andrew Sacco 01-14-2022 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breck Gorman (Post 353036)

Another Hank Shaw recipe. He's a monster when it comes to game cooking and he's my first go to for game recipes. I've tried twice in the past to attend one of his book signings or cooking events but they sell out quick.