Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   General Parker Discussions (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Iver Johnson Skeeter 410 value question (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38974)

Dean Romig 04-14-2023 04:00 PM

IJ used beautifully figured wood on the SKEETERs. I'd love to see it.
... so you bought it already?
PG or straight?? Single trigger or double" Mine had a selective Miller.

Mike Koneski 04-14-2023 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Murphy (Post 386911)
Take the original high gloss finish off and reduce my estimates by $500. I must admit that my 30" .410 skeeter has a matte finish, but I think it's factory special order, like the 30" barrels.

It's not always about "collector" value. Why have a gun that you think can look better? It's ultimately the owner's decision. A very high grade gun I'd leave as is, but then I wouldn't buy it anyway. I'd want to shoot it and shoot it a lot!! Verstehen?

allen newell 04-14-2023 04:23 PM

Dean, I'm picking it up next week. Pistol grip, ejectors and double triggers. Dean, the wood on this skeeter is better than what's on my DHE Repros. The dark burl is stunning. The one drawback is that for a 410 it is a bit on the heavy side. But I'll get over that. A good friend of mine at the club shoots a very nice Browning 410 over under. When I show him this 410 skeeter it will blow his mind. I'll have to let him shoot it. Do you know how many of these Iver Johnson made? I'm told that it was less than 500.

CraigThompson 04-14-2023 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Koneski (Post 386920)
It's not always about "collector" value. Why have a gun that you think can look better? It's ultimately the owner's decision. A very high grade gun I'd leave as is, but then I wouldn't buy it anyway. I'd want to shoot it and shoot it a lot!! Verstehen?

Hate to say it but I agree with Murphy , nice factory original beats refinished 24/7 in my book :whistle:

allen newell 04-14-2023 04:32 PM

I dont plan on selling it. What my 2 grandsons do with it after I'm gone is not my concern.

Dean Romig 04-14-2023 06:07 PM

IJ never used a urethane finish on the SKEETERs.

And yes, they’re bit heavier than some of us think they ought be but that’s because they were made as competition Skeet guns, not as something you’d be carrying all day in the grouse woods.

allen newell 04-14-2023 06:38 PM

Then what is the finish they put on? It looked like urethane to me

allen newell 04-14-2023 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allen newell (Post 386936)
Then what is the finish they put on? It looked like urethane to me

or some type of hard finish other than oil

CraigThompson 04-14-2023 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Romig (Post 386932)
IJ never used a urethane finish on the SKEETERs.

And yes, they’re bit heavier than some of us think they ought be but that’s because they were made as competition Skeet guns, not as something you’d be carrying all day in the grouse woods.

I have an IJ Hercules 410 26” straight grip double triggers , it’s actually a little to light and whippy . But I still shoot it well on the skeet field if I pay attention .

Dean Romig 04-14-2023 07:02 PM

Depends on when it was made... urethane wasn't being used as a gunstock finish until at least 1940 having just been invented in 1937.