Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums

Parker Gun Collectors Association Forums (https://parkerguns.org/forums/index.php)
-   Parker Hammer Guns (https://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I pulled a Mills today ! (https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26122)

Mills Morrison 02-26-2019 07:44 PM

New fore end needed for sure

CraigThompson 03-18-2019 11:16 PM

Well I got a semi expensive lesson today ! Bought a gun from the Rock Island Auction and it showed up today . I should have asked more questions ! The stock isn’t original , the upper grip tang is a bit different and the first two inches of the rib at the muzzle end are loose . A bit disappointed but I can’t blame anyone but myself for not asking more .

Mills Morrison 03-18-2019 11:19 PM

That stinks.

CraigThompson 03-18-2019 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mills Morrison (Post 269266)
That stinks.

That’s certainly a case of live and learn :shock: I set it aside for now , I’ll eventually send it to Merrington or someone and have the rib relaid . Think I have a line already on a pair of Parker hammers and hammer screws . But the upper tang not much can be done and no need looking for an original stock the same frame size . Amazingly the barrels still ring relatively well and they look very nice on the inside but I’d bet they’ve been polished at some point .

CraigThompson 03-18-2019 11:41 PM

It needs to be tightened a bit . I’ll shoot it on paper atleast with buckshot before I worry about re laying the rib and perhaps plunk a deer next season . So now I have a hammer gun to fix a broken hammer retaining screw , another hammer gun to address a couple stock cracks and this new set of uh problems LOL’s . Took care of a dented twist steel muzzle dent earlier today and manipulated a set of scope bases on a Mannlicher Schoenauer. Looks like I get two issues resolved a half dozen more come into view !

Randy G Roberts 03-19-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 269265)
Well I got a semi expensive lesson today ! Bought a gun from the Rock Island Auction and it showed up today . I should have asked more questions ! The stock isn’t original , the upper grip tang is a bit different and the first two inches of the rib at the muzzle end are loose . A bit disappointed but I can’t blame anyone but myself for not asking more .

Most of us have been there including me and about everyone I know It seems the older I get the less desire I have to buy a gun that I have not held in my own hands. Not that I won't do it mind you. I don't care how many questions you ask there's no substitute for holding it yourself especially if you plan on keeping it. Good luck with the repairs Craig...

Eric Eis 03-19-2019 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraigThompson (Post 269265)

Sorry to hear that Craig, been there and done that myself :banghead: That's why it's so nice to be able to have it in hand or have a friend at the auction that can look over the gun for you. I got burned once on a DHE Damascus that the auction house said had 30 thousandths wall thickness and it had 15 thousandths in the one barrel :eek:

Mills Morrison 03-19-2019 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tis the season

CraigThompson 03-20-2019 09:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
My Rock Island oversight/mistake .

CraigThompson 03-20-2019 09:02 AM

Un struck weight is 6/15 incidentally .