PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again

allen newell
03-13-2013, 06:39 PM
My brother calls me last night and says that the owner of the multiple family home that he is renting right now in Sandwich, Mass has a Parker that he no longer uses, is thinking about getting rid of as well as a number of hammer guns (don't ask me what they are, I asked my brother and he hadn't looked at them all - just had looked at the Parker as he thought that would be the only double I'd be interest in...I have disabused him of this notion so there's more to come).

Anyway, I ask him for the serial # of the Parker, he says it's # 152770., 12 ga, VH 30 inch bbls,

I told him to take multiple pics and forward. I'll post them when received and give any other info so we can see what this really is. I'll follow up on the hammer guns and provide this as well for you Hammer gun gurus.

The owner is in his 80's and used to duck hunt locally when his legs would carry him in the marsh. Stand by. We may have some interesting 'finds'.

:corn:

Bill Murphy
03-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Allen, stop complaining and listen to what we've told you about the Serialization Book and the other PGCA research vehicles. Your number may not be in the SB, but it is in the PGCA research files, which are much more interesting than the stock book entries from which the SB entries are compiled. Spend forty bucks and get a letter.

tom tutwiler
03-13-2013, 07:05 PM
I spend $115 today getting my oil changed at Jiffy Lube. $40 seems like a bargain.

allen newell
03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
Thanks Bill for the reminder. I've got 2 Parkers out for repairs and 1 LC Smith our for repair. When I've paid the bills on these, I'l see what's left and consider ordering a Letter or two.

Right now though, I'm more interested in seeing what 'finds' we may have to report on in Sandwich, Ma.

Gary Carmichael Sr
03-13-2013, 08:33 PM
Is Sandwich MA where the Earl of Sandwich comes from! just joking

allen newell
03-13-2013, 08:43 PM
More likely the Earl of Potluck

Brian Dudley
03-14-2013, 09:07 AM
Sounds to me like he has a 12g VH with 30" barrels. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

allen newell
03-14-2013, 05:39 PM
Yes, Brian based on what my brother told me last night over the phone, it's a 12 ga VH w/30" bbls. He did say there were some hammer guns in this gentleman's collection but he had no data on them as he thought they would not be of any interest to me. He's correct in that regard but there are folks on thie Forum who might be. I'm going over tomorrow to look at this man's collection. In the event this gentleman wishes to sell any of his doubles, I'll post pics and data of these in the Members Only section. It never ceases to amaze me as how this stuff comes up.

edgarspencer
03-14-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm sure you'll do the right thing, and purchase them first, so that you comply with the rule of posting only guns which you own.

allen newell
03-14-2013, 05:50 PM
Absolutely Edgar.

Mike Franzen
03-14-2013, 06:01 PM
It is amazing how this stuff comes up. This morning a plumber was working at my house and admiring my beagles. That led to talking about hunting on his farm and that brought up the subject of guns. He told me his grandad left him "two guns that are in a wooden box. They're apart with the bbls separate from the stocks. One has never been fired. Just old farmer guns probably". I asked who made them and he said some company called L C Smith.

allen newell
03-14-2013, 06:13 PM
It really is MIke and it's not like we're 'trolling' for this stuff (at least not me). It just comes up in casual converstaion mostly for me.

My dad had a successful real estate business on the side and when he'd appraise a house for sale, because he and my mother dabbled in antiques, he often inquire if they had any antiques they's want to exchange in lieu of the appraisal fee. I can't tell you how many times he'd come home with tales of the number of guns people had stashed away in their attics! Lots of clunkers mostly but every once in a awhile there'd be a real gem.

allen newell
03-15-2013, 10:51 AM
I called my brother back today and went over to where he is living to look at the collection of double guns his 86 yr old landlord has.

He took me downstairs to the basement where in the corner stood a wooden gun cabinet. Inside this gun cabinet I observed about 6 doubles. Opened the door and took out the first one which was the 12 ga Parker VH that my brother had called me about last evening. Barrels dented and rusted inside and out. Stock floating/oil soked on the frame. Fore end so dark with oil it looked like it was painted that way. Action totally gummed up, in short, a major project gun and big $$ to bring back. The only good thing about the condition of this Parker was the barells were still tight on face. The inside of the barells looked like something was growing in there. A real shame. The old gent asked me what it would cost to restore the gun and I gave him some numbers for each of the repairs etc. that would have to be undertaken - assuming it could be restored. I was too disgusted with the condition of the gun to bother to take any pictures.

The next gun was an LC Smith Hammer gun with much engraving but it was so rusted up I couldn't make out any numbers/marks at all and barely could make out the smith name.

Another hammer double was an F. Williamson, also rusted out (inside and out), missing components, broken stock, etc.

Another hammer gun was not identifiable as was another. In short this was a rust heap and they all looked as if the old gent had left them in the salt' thinking this was the best way to keep them lubricated. What a shame. These doubles were so far gone, I couldn't bring myself to even open up the camera. Not your grandfather's attic guns I can assure you.

Daryl Corona
03-15-2013, 04:43 PM
What a shame Allen, really.:crying: But.... you never know until you go. Better luck next time.

allen newell
03-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Yes Daryl. The Parker 12 ga VH could probably be brought back to life but it would take a fair investment. I didn't take any cleaning materials with me as I did not expect this old gents guns would be in such terrible rusting condition. But my guess is there would be jujst too much pitting inside and out to render the barrels unusable. And if the outside was in such bad shape I imagined the inside of the frame was no better. A real shame. He was an old duck hunter on the Cape. I had to ask him if he ever cleaned these guns. He said NO. His buddies had a hunting camp somewhere down Cape on the beach. Their hunting shack eventually disappeared in one storm. He pulled these guns out and jujst stored them away all these years. A real shame. The LC Smith was a higher grade based on all the engraving but the center rib on its barrels was rusted out and missing, the frame was just covered in rust, the stock was broken at the wrist, parts were missing etc. A real shame. His best gun was upstairs - a nice hammer gun totally complete and beautiful - but he had someone make it into a standing lamp and they had drilled through the frame! Go figure.

Andy Kelley
03-16-2013, 05:23 AM
Allen, sorry it did not work out but thank you for posting the story. Your writing conveyed a sense of excitement that we have all felt when on the hunt. Open up the single malt! Andy

allen newell
03-16-2013, 06:06 AM
Thanks Andy. There may be a silver lining in that cloud though. I was reading another gentleman's post on this forum last evening who I recall may be looking for a #2 frame to build off of. The Parker that I handled yesterday might serve for someone as a 'parts gun'. I thin I'll pm this member and give him the info and contact so he can follow up with the old gent should he wish to explore it. The frame on that rusty 12 ga Parker was a #2 frame. THere might be a silver lining to this story after all for someone.