PDA

View Full Version : Runge Engraving

Bruce Day
03-09-2013, 10:34 AM
In the interest of collecting, following are photos of a 1939 C 12, the last records documented C. The picture panel engraving has been attributed by several knowledgeable collectors to Runge, and I believe that to be the case from my comparision of many higher grade guns.

I think these are Ryman line setters.

I cannot attribute the scroll work to Runge, yes there is more of it than lower graded guns, but the more open and larger style is common to many Parker grades in later years. I believe the scroll work became progressively larger and more open from about mid 20's on or even prior. I have several C's made in the 1900-1905 timeframe and some have scrollwork more open than others. The same trend follows in A grades.

The tight, compact, scroll of turn of century guns and prior progessed to open and looser scroll in many makers, including best grade London guns; I believe that is best attributed to changing styles rather than cost cutting, decreasing engraver ability or other factors that are sometimes stated. The more open scroll style is seen in high grade guns where presumably cost was not a factor.

I have seen posts here stating that G grade engraving subjects remained the same throughout production. However, in the early 1930's the picture panel subjects generally changed to bobwhite quail from the earlier generic gamebirds that are arguably prairie grouse. I believe these were most likely done by journeyman engravers rather than the master engravers such as Runge or those on Parker retainer. They do not exhibit the fine line and complex engraving of Runge. My understanding of production shop methods is that scroll work and picture panel work in lower grade guns is left to less accomplished engravers while the picture panel work in high grade guns is reserved for the masters.

Finally, and for comparision, there is a picture of one of my favorites, a pre 1900 gun. The differences in engraving are striking . Note the fine scroll and complex engraving, but styles quickly changed for these guns. It has also sometimes been said and is even stated in TPS, that the frame sculpting grooves became shorter as time went by, but the reader might look at the two guns.

Rick Losey
03-09-2013, 10:43 AM
love those dogs - not that there is anything NOT to love about that gun

allen newell
03-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Bruce, that Parker is beautiful. A number of our PGCA brothers believe this frame is also Runge engraved

Richard Flanders
03-09-2013, 11:56 AM
What a beauty of a gun Bruce. Can't imagine they get much better than that. The bottom gun is interesting in that there is a bird set right into the scroll engraving without a 'frame' of any sort - that has to be tough to do. Don't think I've seen that before. The scallops along the edge of the floorplate are more accentuated than most also. Very nice.

Dean Romig
03-09-2013, 01:30 PM
I kinda like the frog...

Those early Grade 6 guns are wonderful!

Bruce Day
03-09-2013, 02:39 PM
The snakes are after the frog. The wood is nice also.

allen newell
03-09-2013, 02:55 PM
The wood Bruce is very nice! You have a real treasure there. I'm not too old to be adopted.