PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a needle in a hay stack

Ray Masciarella
12-06-2009, 11:43 AM
Help! I'm looking for a 12 ga Damascus 6 blade 1 frame barrel circa 1890's and a Parker #40 gun case, which I don't believe was made by Parker but sold by it in the 1890's-it's a truck style case. Can anyone help?

Ray

Dave Suponski
12-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Ray,Good Luck on your search...:)

Dean Romig
12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Ray, if you're looking for Damascus barrels for a 1890's hammer gun, look no farther than www.gunbroker.com no. 149360464

Ray Masciarella
12-06-2009, 03:37 PM
No, for hammerless...too bad for me! Ray

Fred Preston
12-06-2009, 04:29 PM
The pic shows a doll's head.

Dean Romig
12-06-2009, 08:44 PM
That's right Fred, the "doll's head" first appeared about June of 1882 on Parker No. 25992, a top action (the later of which had the check hook as shown in the Gunbroker set of barrels). I don't know how involved it would be to change the lugs to hammerless style but I know Russ Bickel has done it once or twice.

Francis Morin
12-07-2009, 10:48 AM
A most challenging request indeed. I would suggest you contact PGCA member Brad Bachelder- I was in his shop in Grand rapids MI last Thursday- a brother PGCA member was there with a 10 bore lifter Parker No 5 frame- 32" Damascus barrels- weight about the same (in my hands guess) as a issue M-1Garand with full clip and bayonet affixed- BUT the Parker has the balance. Brad has restored that fine old Parker- I handled it, and was amazed at the smoothness of the open and closing of that Lifter actioned 10 bore- First Lifter Parker I have handled-anyway, Brad does a good bit of Damascus barrel work, and you might check with him, possible he might be able to find you the barrels and fit them- he also has a collection of older vintage gun cases- mostly the LOM style, which his wife Lori has used for foto shots in their ads online. You never know when something like that might turn up-
his e-mail is bachelderfirearm@aol.com phone is 616-459-3636 EST hours- Open Tuesdays through Fridays 1000 hrs. to ?? 1730 depending on customer traffic-From a personal standpoint only, I haven't found anything worthwhile yet on Gunbroker or GunsAmerica, but then I am NOT an auction or internet based buyer.

I have purchased several older 12 gauge LC Smiths from Brad, possibly paid a bit more, BUT- I could see the gun, no shipping or insurance/loss problems, and to verify Brad's 30 years and integrity- I chose between a 12 Smith 3E and a 12 Smith Ideal FWE- both guns with ejectors and 28" barrels, and both fit me properly-

But I prefer double triggers, and although this is NOT the Smith or Fox forum, I'll "wade deeper" as many members, as with my case, own and shoot other side-bys besides Parkers- I have a 'bug-a-boo" about HOT- The Ideal had the HOT, and Brad offered to replace it with the foolproof double triggers should I have any problems with the single selective trigger- I ended up with the 3E, but to my point of view, that says volumes about the integrity of the dealer selling the gun. I am sure you might possibly be able to have that 'comfort zone' with some of the sellers on the Auction sites, but I am not quite "there yet"--:cool: