PDA

View Full Version : 1924 VH Parker Information

William Maynard
12-05-2009, 05:17 PM
I purchased a 1924 VH, Grade "V" recently. I have been researching the gun. It has "ejectors" and also has "Ivory Beads". Was this special order? I looked on the barrel lug for the frame size and I am seeing two numbers. There is a 12 and below it there is a 1? From the Parker site I assume there should only be one number?
Thanks.......

Bill Murphy
12-05-2009, 06:01 PM
In that era, it would be unusual for it to be any frame size but 1 1/2, but depending on how the numbers you mention are situated, it may be a 1 frame. A picture would clear things up. If we can't figure it out from pictures, the 1 frame has firing pins 1 1/16" between centers, the 1 1/2 frame has firing pins 1 1/8" between centers.

William Maynard
12-05-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks give me a few minutes and I will load a photo. I have another question. What is the correct way to measure a stock. It has a Hawkins re-coil pad and I would like to try and measure the stock to see if it has been cut?

William Maynard
12-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi Bill,
Here is the photo of the barrel lug.

Austin W Hogan
12-05-2009, 09:51 PM
The marks certainly indicate that the gun is a one frame twelve. Most twelves were made on the 1 1/2 frame in that era, but if orders exceeded the capacity of the 1 1/2 frame line for a time, 1 or 2 frame guns could fill the delivery schedule. Or perhaps a customer had a wish; good research topic for you to investigate.

Best, Austin

William Maynard
12-06-2009, 08:13 AM
So this gun is a 1 Frame, correct? and 12 stands for 12 ga.? I am also curious if you know if the VH came from the factory with Ivory beads or was this also a special order?

Bill Murphy
12-06-2009, 08:37 AM
PGCA research material available on guns of that era usually do not include information about Lyman sights. Many Parkers included this option, but non original installation of Lyman sights do not detract from collector value. The original stock likely measured about 14" to 14 1/4" from the middle of the front trigger to the middle of the hard rubber buttplate. An original uncut stock would probably measure about 13 3/4" to 14" from the trigger to the middle of the wood at the butt and the butt would be cut on a slight curve. A #1 frame 12 gauge gun of that era is scarce and coveted by shooters and also by collectors if in high condition.

William Maynard
12-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Thanks Bill Murphy for that information. This forum is most helpful. I am starting to believe maybe the "Lyman sights could be orginal" They look yellowed with age. I believe the stock was cut to apply the Rubber Recoil Pad. The pad looks to be from that era. From photos I have seen it looks to be a old RedHead and not in very good shape. Where these also put on at the factory. Also would the PGCA Research Letter disclose any of this information?