PDA

View Full Version : Double mis-fire!!

Brian Dillard
11-29-2009, 12:40 PM
While hunting yesterday, my 1892 DH began firing both barrels upon one pull of the front trigger.:eek: However, if I pull the rear trigger first it only fires one barrel...then I could pull the front trigger if a second shot was needed. This got me thru the day and the hunt but now what???

Has anyone had this happen before and what should I be looking for?

Thanks, BD

Bruce Day
11-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Clean the trigger assembly as has been explained here before. Almost all trigger problems are caused by dried crud and varnish. Clean it externally with Rem Action Cleaner. Then if still malfunctioning, then disassembly will be required. Then clean and look at sears for wear.

The heavier loads used for hunting will cause dirty/worn sears to double.

When was the last time the gun action was cleaned?

If that doesn't work, the sears are worn and need to be recut.

AND DON'T OIL PARKER TRIGGERS.

Brian Dillard
11-29-2009, 01:06 PM
[QUOTE=Bruce Day;8076]

When was the last time the gun action was cleaned?

Not since I've owned it. Only hunted with it 4-5 times and havent taken anything apart to clean interior mechanism's. Always scared of marring the screws or getting in way over my head.

Bruce Day
11-29-2009, 01:20 PM
So, maybe 100 years ago?

There is a good gunsmith at Kiowa Creek Sporting Clays east of Denver.

To reiterate cleaning from externally. Using the Rem Action cleaner tube, insertthe spray tube into the hammer nose holes in th e standing breech and spray a LOT in there. Spray around the trigger slots, a LOT. Stand the action stock up and pointing down, let it all run out and keep draining. Repeat the next day.

Take the gun out and shoot it with the same loads that caused it to double before.

If it still doubles, the action needs to come apart. If you want to try it fine, with caution and the right tools and using the disassembly instructions posted here many many times. If not, off to the gunsmith.

By the way, Brian. I have had two guns that doubled. I clean my guns that get shot a couple times a year with Rem Action Cleaner as preventative medicine, so I don't have many problems. A PHE 16ga with about 60,000 to 80,000 rounds through it kept doubling and it was off to DelGrego who fixed it by recutting the sears. The second gun was a DHE 20/32 that doubled with 1 oz loads. Turned out to be merely gummed up and cleaning solved it. Almost all the time a gun is just gummed up unless its had a whole lot of rounds through it. When I first got the PHE some 40 years ago, of course I oiled the triggers and if some oil was good, more oil was better, so they gummed up badly and an old gunsmith ( the famous Rudy Kautzky ) gave me what for, and I've never done that again.

Brian Dillard
11-29-2009, 03:04 PM
Bruce....as always, you're a wealth of information. Thank you.

And now that you've got me thinking of it, it may well have been 100 years ago that it was apart. SO, I'm off to get some Rem Action cleaner and do all my guns today while watching football and eating left over turkey.

Bruce Day
11-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Brian, there is a lot I don't know but others around here do know. So good luck with it and off to the games for me also.

Think KU will beat Colorado in basketball ?

Dave Fuller
11-29-2009, 06:53 PM
There are usually more KU fans than CU fans at that game... even when its in Boulder.

Destry L. Hoffard
11-30-2009, 03:08 AM
Brian,

I had that happen a couple times with a 10 gauge magnum. The phrase "get your attention" was very fitting. Mine had a hairline in the head of the stock that was putting pressure on something that didn't need any pressure.

Destry

Don Kaas
12-01-2009, 10:04 AM
I hate to disagree with Brother Day but unlike single trigger guns, a double trigger gun doubling is rarely caused by dirt. Much more often it is a wear in the sear engagement or wood interference. As Bruce says, take it to a gunsmith. I have had a bad year of doubling guns, first a Parker D grade top lever and then an Ithaca NID 10ga Magnum (that gets your attention...5 times 2...yes, I am an idiot) Both times happened with Destry...imagine that? Both times a faulty sear engagement as well as wood issues on the Ithaca.

Bill Murphy
12-01-2009, 02:17 PM
The PGCA "Doubles Medals" are in the mail to each of you. If Russ has had a doubling problem, he will receive another medal also.

Bruce Day
12-01-2009, 02:28 PM
That's probably the only "doubles" medal I will ever qualify for. I don't seem to do very well and my dogs don't either, at finding shot doubles in pheasants. I can always find the one but we lose the other on the ground. It happened a couple weeks ago with easy shots and birds seemingly dead in the air but we lost the second bird. No, I'll leave the doubles to you fellows who are much better than me. One at a time for me.

gordon fairrington
12-22-2013, 11:18 AM
:banghead:I have a vh 16 ga. that is doing that, we had it to a local gunsmith and though it had been repaired. unfortunately it has not. I'm amazed it has not blown up in either my dad's face or mine since it has happened multiple times. It also has some other issues too, one is that the safety spring was broken, we robbed one out of one of other parkers ( my son wanted to shoot it for the annual pheasant hunt. we thought the gun was ok to shot at that time, after replacing the spring we found out different) and two after disassembly we found that the pin that puts the safety back to safe after gun is opened was missing, or is it a opinion that parker guns have? I guess from reading this post its best this gun finds a good smith that know parkers well and the sears. also thanks for the post on how to disassemble the parker.

charlie cleveland
12-22-2013, 03:01 PM
would like to have seen that big ten ga a doubleing with destrey and don...just don t want it happening to me... thanks for the advice on the rem oil.. charlie

John Campbell
12-22-2013, 06:15 PM
I hate to be contrary on this thread, but what the heck. We're talking about Parkers here.

I would never use any spray cleaners to remedy any problems with a Parker, or any other fine double gun. These products are made for 1100 type guns that are built to the tolerances of Ford tractors, and run the same way. Any product that will clean "crud" from the internals of a Parker will do no good for the wood or anything else. Remember: The "crud" is still in there, it's just doing other bad things.

The responsible course of action is to take the gun - or send the gun - to a double gunsmith familiar with Parkers. A strip-and-clean can fix many problems. But if it's sear/bent related, only a pro can make it work safely again.

Just my humble view of things...

Angel Cruz
12-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Gordon, don't mess around with that VH, just send it to Larry DelGreco & Son and get it fixed right. It will be worth every penny.

Bruce Day
12-22-2013, 06:37 PM
The recommendation to use Remington Action Cleaner as a first step and how to do it that I in turn recommended to the original poster came from Babe Del Grego. He is a gunsmith with some familiarity with Parker guns and their operation and repair.