PDA

View Full Version : 8 gauge

jack brady
11-21-2009, 08:47 PM
My wife inherited an 8 gauge parker from her grandfather and would like to know the approximate value with the thought of selling it. The research letter describes it as a Parker shotgun, serial number 60xxx ordered in Pendleton OR on Nov. 10, 1890. According to Parker Bros. Order Book No. 27 it was a Quality 1 Top Action hammer, 8-gauge. It featured Plain Twist steel barrels with a length of 34 in. Its stock configuration was a pistol grip. The chokes were patterned RH(115#4 pellets in a 30" circle at 45 yards) with the LH being the same. According to stock book No.21, its specifications were:Length of Pull: 14 1/4", Drop at Heel: 3 1/4" and Weight 11 pounds 11 ounces. the price was $95.00
Factory return and repair records do not exist which is not suprising since the gun has been in storage for sixty years and probably didn't get much use prior to that.
Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Jack Brady

John Dunkle
11-21-2009, 08:55 PM
Hi Jack!

Welcome to the Forum! As well, while we don't allow guns to be sold from the site, I'm certain that a few folks will pop on and help you and your wife to try to asses market value, as was your original question.

As well - to assist with that, is there any way you have a few of those individual pictures in an album (larger versions showing more detail) we can see?

Best to you - and again - welcome!

John

David Hamilton
11-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Your 8 ga Parker will attract a good deal of interest on this forum as it is an interesting and rare arm. Don't sell it unless it means nothing to you. David

jack brady
11-21-2009, 10:00 PM
John,

I will post some detailed photos rather than the collages.

Jack

George Lander
11-21-2009, 11:21 PM
Jack: Your wife's 8 gauge Parker hammergun appears to be in extremely fine condition and is a very rare item in any condition. Please follow the above advice and post some clear close ups. You will find a lot of good help and advice here.

Best Regards, George

Bill Bolyard
11-22-2009, 09:13 AM
Jack,

I hope you have a really good relationship with your wife, because that shooting iron she has inherited makes a terrible mess at close range.:eek: Condition is everything and then there is provenance( who owned it) If you go to this website www.pugsguns.com he usually has a couple 8ga guns for price comparison. If it was my gun I would first get a letter on the gun from the PGCA, then I would contact Julias Auction house or Rock island auction house.

How did I do Dunkle?:duck:

Bill

John Dunkle
11-22-2009, 04:45 PM
...How did I do Dunkle?:duck:As always, Bill - nicely done....

My thanks to you and all who have posted in this thread or to Jack privately helping him and his wife determine a fair market price for their Parker if it's sold at auction or via another site in the future.

Bill - my thanks again!

John

Don Kaas
11-22-2009, 06:32 PM
I've bought and sold a few 8 gauges lately.Your gun is worth around $8000 maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less in a private sale if you looking for a real answer rather than polite BS. A similar gun has been on Gunbroker for $9100 unsold for over a month. Lots of people (including Parker people) talk about 8 gauges but few of them are actual checkwriters.Good Luck with it.