PDA

View Full Version : VH Made in 1942

Nathan Ikert
11-20-2009, 07:58 AM
When did Remington start making Parker sxs's and are they as well made?

Dave Suponski
11-20-2009, 08:30 AM
Nathan,Remington bought out Parker in July of 1934. Remington made Parkers are every bit as good as earlier guns. In fact. ..sometimes Remington guns bring a premium..

Russ Jackson
11-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Good Morning Nathan According to the Parker Story "TPS" Remington took over control of the Parker Gun Works ,June 15, 1934, and the first Remington built gun was a 28 Ga. VH Grade ,Serial # 236531 . Wouldn't a guy like to have that one ? As far as being as well made ,you will have to wait for others opinions ,I only own one Remington made Parker ,It happens to be my favorite ,so I am not really qualified to answer the question !

Bill Murphy
11-20-2009, 08:34 AM
What is the serial number of the 1942 VH? Remington officially discontinued the production of non ejector guns except for Trojans much earlier than 1942. However, occasionally a late non ejector gun shows up.

Russ Jackson
11-20-2009, 08:35 AM
Dave ; You and I must check this thing about the same time in the morning ,we do this often ,my memory is so bad ,I went off to get my book while you were replying !:bigbye:

Nathan Ikert
11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Thank you gentlemen for the information. I have sent an email to the gentleman requesting the serial # but have not received it yet?

Russ Jackson
11-20-2009, 08:45 AM
What is the serial number of the 1942 VH? Remington officially discontinued the production of non ejector guns except for Trojans much earlier than 1942. However, occasionally a late non ejector gun shows up.

Bill I have my book on the desk here and am looking ,I don't see what you are asking for ,the last serial # recorded is 242487, according to"TPS" but I don't believe this is what you want to know ? If you know where to look ,I would be happy to take a look ! Russ

Dave Suponski
11-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Great minds think alike Russ! I have always used 242487 in my head as the last production Parker made.Thanks for looking the date up Russ.I just shot from the hip on that one...:rolleyes:

Russ Jackson
11-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Dave; I have to look it up ,things I want or need to remember ,I write down and put in my wallet ,My wallet will barely fit in my pocket ,and nothing in it but notes and reminders ! :eek:

Austin W Hogan
11-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Parker Pages carried articles on the closing of "The Parker Operation" in Summer (pg 16 - 17) and Autumn (Pg 22 - 26) 2007

Remington considered the extractor and ejector guns to be two different models with different model numbers. The last gun without ejectors in the archive is 241622; however grade, gauge and barrel length are not entered; it may not have been completed prior to closing of the operation. ( the last s/n in the archive is 241623)

Some noticable differences among Ilion and Meriden Parkers are;

Stocks of Grades G and lower were finished on Remington's spray line, not with french polish.
A dog replaced the birds on the floorplate of some D grades.
A grade engraving was a little sparcer in Ilion.
Barrels were made on Remington's tooling in Ilion, and there is no steel type roll mark on the rib.
The grip cap is marked Ilion.
Best, Austin

James T. Kucaba
11-20-2009, 02:17 PM
This is just MY opinion, and others are free to disagree so take it for what it's costing you ...I believe that once a company is bought out by another firm and the new owner continues to produce the same line of products, under the original company's name, the product is a FAKE regardless of it's quality. There's no disputing the fact that Remington built Parkers and Parker reproductions are both high quality guns ... Whether they match the quality as a Parker built in Meridien, under the direction of the Parker family is for each individual to decide ... I'm not saying that I would never own a Remington built Parker or a reproduction, but I am saying that I don't hold either gun with the same esteem as what I consider to be the genuine article.

Respectfully yours ... Jim Kucaba ... AriZOOna Cactus Patch ... Email: JimKucaba@aol.com

Dave Suponski
11-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Jim,Years ago I kinda felt the way you do now.But after owning a few Remington Parkers I feel they are all just as good(if not better in some ways) than the Meriden made guns.

Dean Romig
11-20-2009, 03:13 PM
I've got to take exception with your logic Jim.
Remington bought the Parker Gun Works in '34 and continued to produce the same Parker product, in the same factory, using the same materials and supplies, using the same methods of production by the same employees and contractors until the move to Ilion in '37 or '38 (didn't memorize the exact date) and continued to use the same machinery, stock from Meriden, methodes and procedures with many of the employees who relocated from Meriden . . .

. . . I don't get what's "FAKE" about these Parkers :corn:

Dave Suponski
11-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Russ,I also write myself notes...only trouble is then I can,t remember where I put them..:banghead:

Nathan Ikert
11-20-2009, 09:02 PM
The serial # 228901 VH 12 ga.

Dave Suponski
11-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Nathan,Gun number 228901 would be a 1928 Meriden made Parker

And yes Russ I went to the "book"....:rolleyes:

Nathan Ikert
11-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Thanks Dave. The ad said 1948 12 ga. VH 28" barrels choked imp/mod. he will sell me pictures in a day or 2. Thank you for all your help.

Dave Suponski
11-20-2009, 10:26 PM
My pleasure Nathan Let us know how you make out!

Dave Miles
11-23-2009, 01:31 PM
This is just MY opinion, and others are free to disagree so take it for what it's costing you ...I believe that once a company is bought out by another firm and the new owner continues to produce the same line of products, under the original company's name, the product is a FAKE regardless of it's quality. There's no disputing the fact that Remington built Parkers and Parker reproductions are both high quality guns ... Whether they match the quality as a Parker built in Meridien, under the direction of the Parker family is for each individual to decide ... I'm not saying that I would never own a Remington built Parker or a reproduction, but I am saying that I don't hold either gun with the same esteem as what I consider to be the genuine article.

Respectfully yours ... Jim Kucaba ... AriZOOna Cactus Patch ... Email: JimKucaba@aol.com

I think you'd change your attitude real quick, if someone came along with a Remington built Parker, in 16 gauge lifter hammer configuration, for sale. :rotf:

Bruce Day
11-23-2009, 01:39 PM
The market and prevailing collector's interests have not shared Mr. Kucaba's views. He primarily collects in a subset of Parker collecting, that of early hammer guns.

Nathan Ikert
11-23-2009, 04:12 PM
The gentleman has emailed me some pictures, how do I post them from my email withoutshowing his address?

Dave Suponski
11-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Nathan,If you download the pictures to your computer you can resize them there and then upload to this site by clicking "Manage Attachments" that is how I do it anyway....:rolleyes:

Nathan Ikert
11-23-2009, 04:40 PM
Here are the picture's

Bill Bolyard
11-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but the case colors look like a torch job.

Bill

Bruce Day
11-23-2009, 04:58 PM
No, Bill. Just a recent cyanide color re case job, which can be toned down if not to a person's liking.

Nathan Ikert
11-23-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't know, this gun has been offered for sale the owner claims that he has never had any work done on it. I would go look at it in person but it is a 4-5 hour drive. Tell me what you guys think of it.

John Mazza
11-23-2009, 05:02 PM
In the second-to-last picture, what's the little circle on the rib, approx. 1/2" in from of the doll's head ?

I thought it was just an abberation, but I've seen it on one other Parker. So, this makes a grand total of two examples of this circular mark - but what in the heck is it ????

Bruce Day
11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
John, that's the pin which secures the rib extension. They all have it, some more visible than others. They are often more visible after the barrels have been re blued, although I am not saying one way or the other about these barrels. The whole rib extension is a separate piece, butting against the main rib at one end and terminating in the dolls head at the other.

I moved a friend of mine into a gun like this. He was not a Parker collector but only wanted a nice shooting gun that would last for him and at a reasonable price. He has been very pleased.

John Mazza
11-23-2009, 05:14 PM
Thanks Bruce !

(I learn something every day !)

I'll have to check my ca. 1886 hammer gun & my ca. 1894 EH - I do not recall ever seeing this pin...

Thanks again !

John

Bruce Day
11-23-2009, 05:26 PM
Use a magnifying lens.

I would suggest that a person always inspect a gun in person, open and close it, look it over carefully.

Nathan Ikert
11-23-2009, 05:47 PM
If the gun checks out and is ok ,what would it be worth?

Dave Suponski
11-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Nathan,I would venture a guess that the gun is a Delgrego refinished gun,Maybe a long time ago. In that second to the last picture I see a line that could indicate a sleeving job. Maybe its just the photo.Is there a 3 day inspection?

Dean Romig
11-23-2009, 08:46 PM
I agree with Dave in picking up on that line across both barrels possibly being indicative of sleeved barrels.
I'm also curious about what appears to be polished rust pits on the side of the chamber area of the right barrel.
If you decide to buy it be absolutely certain you get a "no questions asked" three-day inspection period.
We're not trying to find fault with the gun but are simply pointing out possible areas of concern.

Bill Murphy
11-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Nothing could make those lines in the barrels except a sleeve job. Sleeved barrels will take half the value from a gun like this. The gun is also probably restocked judging from the quality of the wood. The gun is very nice, and, if it is a Del Grego full redo and restock, it would be worth a couple of grand, if the barrels were not sleeved.

Dave Suponski
11-23-2009, 10:03 PM
Bill,I have never seen a Del Grego gun that was sleeved. Did he do/had done this kind of work?
Other than the case colors the stock cheeks and the fluting on the nose of the comb looks very Del Grego to me.

James T. Kucaba
11-24-2009, 03:17 AM
I think you'd change your attitude real quick, if someone came along with a Remington built Parker, in 16 gauge lifter hammer configuration, for sale. :rotf:

Dave ... As I stated earlier, the fact that I hold Parker guns made by Remington and Parker Reproductions in lower esteem, doesn't mean that I would never own a Remington-Parker or a Parker Reproduction ...

And, I guess you haven't heard, but Remington never built any Remington-Parker Lifter Guns, let alone any 16 gauge Remington-Parker Lifter Guns !

Jim Kucaba ... AriZOOna Cactus Patch ... Email: JimKucaba@aol.com

James T. Kucaba
11-24-2009, 03:27 AM

Dave ... As I stated earlier, the fact that I hold Parker guns made by Remington and Parker Reproductions in lower esteem, doesn't mean that I would never own a Remington-Parker or a Parker Reproduction ...

And, I guess you haven't heard, but Remington never built any Remington-Parker Lifter Guns, let alone any 16 gauge Remington-Parker Lifter Guns, and that's lucky for me ... Remington-Parker Lifter Guns would be "morescarcer" than Invisibles and I could never afford to buy one !

Jim Kucaba ... AriZOOna Cactus Patch ... Email: JimKucaba@aol.com

Nathan Ikert
11-24-2009, 07:23 AM
I want to thank you gentlemen for your hounesty. Did Del Grego do barrel sleeving?

Bill Murphy
11-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I am not aware the Del Grego did barrel sleeving but that has nothing to do with whether or not this particular gun is sleeved. No one has proven that Del Grego did the refinishing or stocking of this gun, either. It seems to be a nice gun, whoever did the work, but sleeved barrels will reduce the value.

Bruce Day
11-24-2009, 09:30 AM
General comments, not particular to this gun:

The Color Case Company did lots of cyanide re-case jobs. I'm sure there are other shops. Cyanide process case hardening is a common industrial process.

Fred Wenig and Fajen's before him, turned out rough finished and machine inletted Parker stocks and forends by the hundreds, if not thousands, with downwardly fluted comb noses. They would turn out a completely checkered and finished stock for several hundred dollars for many years, Wenig work was higher cost. Their typical stock was of Iowa and Missouri black walnut stump wood.

Many, many people did barrel sleeve work, Lefever did hundreds.

Many bright cyanide case color jobs are not DelGrego work at all, but some people like to claim that a gun they are selling was redone by DelGrego because of a commonly considered good reputation.

Dave Suponski
11-24-2009, 09:43 AM
I have an Ohio Case Color gun and it is definitley bone charcoal. Did they revamp their process and are now doing cyanide?

Bruce Day
11-24-2009, 09:53 AM
I don't know Dave. I know they did cyanide process.

Interestingly, I believe its Turnbull's web site, cyanide color case hardening can be made to be almost imperceptible from bone charcoal colors. So these gaudy colors that some do not like do not have to be that way and the color result is much dependent upon the technique of the cyanide process technician. Don't ask me how its done, maybe a mix of artistry and magic. I have also seen worn cyanide colors that are imperceptible from worn bone charcoal case colors.

Dave Noreen
11-24-2009, 10:36 AM
Those case colors look just about perfect for a Savage-era Fox-Sterlingworth.