PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Andrew Thompson
11-14-2009, 07:31 PM
While cleaning several guns at a time, I mistakingly put the barrels from a ph on a dh and they will not come off. Do I have to dissassemble the gun?:crying::crying::banghead:

Dave Suponski
11-14-2009, 07:55 PM
Andrew,What exactly is happening..

Austin W Hogan
11-14-2009, 08:05 PM
Don't apply any massive force.

Apply pressure to the top lever slowly; do you feel the lock bar disengage from the barrel? If you think the locking bar is clear of the barrel try this.

Sit on a low chair or stool. Place the butt on the floor, and one foot behind the butt. Rest the barrels atop the other knee. Push the lever over with one hand. Slap the frame/floorplate with the other. If the gun does not open it may be necessary to remove the stock and internal frame parts to fully withdraw the bolt.

Good luck

Austin

Andrew Thompson
11-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Not paying attention, I hooked the lug over the pin and when i tried to close the breech, noticed that it would not close and now I can't remove the barrels from the reciever. Thanks for responding.

Andrew Thompson
11-14-2009, 08:19 PM
I think it's in the cocking mechanism

Dave Suponski
11-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Andrew it sounds like the cocking hook has become caught in the cocking crank. Can you get at the screw that holds cocking hook to the barrels? If so then carefully remove it and the barrels will come off.Then you can try to dislodge the hook from the crank.

Andrew Thompson
11-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Dave. Tried that and could not move the screw. I'll clean the slot, get a bigger screw diver, and try again

Andrew Thompson
11-14-2009, 09:32 PM
Got it. Thanks alot, guys.

Dave Suponski
11-14-2009, 09:38 PM
I,ll bet most of us has done that a least once...:bigbye:

Bill Murphy
11-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Not "at least once" but once. Firing the gun usually releases the hook. However, if you can get at the screw that holds the hook, that does the trick also.

Austin W Hogan
11-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Sorry; I read that as the gun not opening to remove the barrels. I think anyone who owns more than two Parkers has one that does not want to break down. Sometimes a gun that has been regularly used developes this out of the blue.
For a long time I thought this was ejector related until I had a hammer gun act this way. I find that looking the other way when breaking down the gun sometimes clears it. On hammerless guns letting the hammers fall usually helps.
I still look on ejectors/extractors as the cause. When you get the gun open, remove the extractors/ejectors from the barrels, clean them well, and clean the pilot hole with Hoppes on a Q Tip.

Best, Austin

This is not unique to Parkers; I have a Fox that does this as well.

Andrew Thompson
11-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Not "at least once" but once. Firing the gun usually releases the hook. However, if you can get at the screw that holds the hook, that does the trick also.couldn' tclose the breech to fire the gun.

Pat Dugan
11-15-2009, 07:30 PM
So you got the barrels off and hook out with no damage by taking out the screw?

PDD

Bill Murphy
11-15-2009, 07:34 PM
I know the answer to that problem. If the gun has an automatic safety which prevents the gun from being dry fired with the lever over to the right, use a utensil of some sort to trip the lever, then fire the gun. The gun shouldn't need to be completely closed. Repeat several times if need be. Spray some kind of lubricant into the area of the cocking crank, which is the problem. Keep cocking and firing if you can, until the barrels free themselves. Absolute last resort is to remove the floorplate. I may have left something out of my procedure, but it has worked for me every time but once. I was so glad to get that one gun back together with the original parts that I can't even remember what barrels I was trying to fit to the gun in question. I never tried again.

Austin W Hogan
11-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Bill; It has been my experience that goo and oxidized oil and grease under the extractor/ejector causes a forward pressure on the roll. It is this forward pressure that keeps the cocking hook from disconnecting, not the cocking hook itself. I may be wrong, but cleaning the extractor/ejector mechanism has worked for me.

You are exactly right in tripping the Parker poker to release the hammers to fire in a gun stuck in open position.

Best, Austin