PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry polish for cleaning?

Andrew Thompson
11-11-2009, 04:54 PM
I have a DH that needs the triggers and skeleton plate cleaned. I plan to remove the stock from the frame and the plate from the stock. Is jewelry cleaner the best to use? If not, what is the recomended cleaner.

Andrew Thompson
11-11-2009, 04:56 PM
Forgive the spelling in the thread title

Richard Flanders
11-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I think most of the guys would recommend Flitz.

Austin W Hogan
11-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I wipe discolored metal parts with Hoppes, and wipe them with a cleaning patch. If the patch becomes red or brown I repeat, then grease the part thoroughly. Repeat every day or two; if the red or brown persist give the piece a few strokes with a file card and repeat the Hoppes and grease routine. It is amazing how much finish remains under soft build ups.

Best, Austin

Dave Fuller
11-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Flitz is great stuff but don't use it on any case coloring unless you want to get rid of it.

Andrew Thompson
11-13-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks guys.

Francis Morin
11-13-2009, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=Austin W Hogan;7017]I wipe discolored metal parts with Hoppes, and wipe them with a cleaning patch. If the patch becomes red or brown I repeat, then grease the part thoroughly. Repeat every day or two; if the red or brown persist give the piece a few strokes with a file card and repeat the Hoppes and grease routine. It is amazing how much finish remains under soft build ups.

Best, Austin- Austin- I believe many jewelers use amonia to clean jewelry- would that work if diluted with water and Not hard the case colors like Flitz and Brasso might?:bowdown:

Austin W Hogan
11-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Francis; It has been my experience that a lot of the rusty look of old Parkers is really a soft fouling or growth of some kind of mold? for a better word on the surface. I have used this procedure on several lifter and hammer guns that I shoot, and the twist/damascus pattern has recovered with time. It doesn't restore anything, but many times the grungy look on old Parkers is just a growth on the surface, not really deep rust.

Best, Austin