PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Morning !!

Russ Jackson
11-07-2009, 11:50 AM
Took off this morning around 5:30 Am. for some " Patridge Shortnin " Never found a bird ,but sure was a nice morning to be in the woods , Had high expectations , was Pheasant hunting yesterday got a nice brace of birds and stumbled on to this likely looking spot and thought I would bring Old Chip and my little PH 20 and give Ole Mr Ruff a go ,maybe it was just that nobody was home today ,will try again later in the season ! Chip locked up tight where hes standing ,never figured out what may have been up his nose ,put him back on the spot ,whoaed him up and got the pic. ,thats whe he doesnt appear to be ready to come out of his skin ,like he does on a real point ,I really shouldn't make him pose for pics. but its just so much fun ! Good hunting to you all !

Robert Rambler
11-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Russ, It sounds like you had a day very much like mine. Took the day off Friday to tramp the northern PA forests with my favorite four legged buddy in search of Mr. Ruff also. It was one of those beautiful days that makes one appreciate just being alive! Hope Mr. Ruff is home next time you visit!

Dave Suponski
11-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Yup,Its the gettin out that makes for a great day...Keep them pictures comin boys..:)

Russ Jackson
11-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Robert ; When I was a boy about 10 or so ,my Dad worked with a fellow that had a nice little camp on Little Kettle Creek in Potter County Pa. ,we used to go up on opening day of the Pa. trout season for years ,of course there are little Mtn. streams all over Pa. like these ,Very nice Pics. Good luck with the Grouse ! Russ

Dean Romig
11-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Russ, does that PH 20 have Parker Steel barrels? How about a few closer pics?

Dave Suponski
11-07-2009, 09:21 PM
Gentlemen, an exerp from Bill Tapply's "Of Woodcock and Frogs" Quote"I try to explain about crisp October mornings.when the goldenrod glistens with melting frost and the dogs whine and slobber in their eagerness to get going.I talk about the evocative aroma of Hoppe's gun oil,of quiet times with a comfortable partner,of the delicious weariness of limb after a long day in the woods."

I think Tap pretty much nailed it!

Russ Jackson
11-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Dean; I just got in this evening ,I will look in my files for close ups ,and to answer the first question ,No it doesn't but I wish it did ,it does have really nice condition Twist barrels 28 " and handles like a wand !A wonderful gun ! Bores are clean as a whistle .

Dean Romig
11-07-2009, 09:36 PM
I talk about the evocative aroma of Hoppe's gun oil,of quiet times with a comfortable partner,of the delicious weariness of limb after a long day in the woods." I think Tap pretty much nailed it!

Yeah Dave - been there, done that! . . . and will gladly do it again and again 'til the day I die :cheers:

But I think "delicious weariness" is a poor choice of words for what we know as @*%#$@ PAIN!

Ben Yarian
11-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I took both friday and saturday off of work this week. Sure was beutifull in western Pa. Friday I shot my limit of 2 pheasents.( Used my new rbl 16 so no pics). Today I shot my limit of grouse(parker 16 vh straight grip, o frame). Great weather, great dog for a companion. Lots of birds, wonderfull weekend. great sunset also.

Russ Jackson
11-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Dean ;Perhaps you remember this gun in an old post ,I bought the gun on Gun Broker and when it arrived ,this is what I found in the box,If you recall I was pretty sick over all of this ,When I came down to the Vintagers this Fall, I brought my gunsmithing buddy if you remember ,he is the one that repaired the stock for me and here are some Pics. of the gun ,ready to go !

Rich Anderson
11-08-2009, 08:24 AM
Russ I have wondered how you came out on that gun. A very nice repair job and a Parker put back into service, perfect.

Dean Romig
11-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Thanks Russ. Right, I remember that break. That's a great little bird gun, thanks again for showing it. Dean

Russ Jackson
11-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Thank you gentlemen ; I was so dissapointed at the time of purchase , the man I purchased it from and the insurance company "and myself took about six weeks to work out the details and I decided to keep the gun ,it was close to hunting season by the time it got sorted out and I just put the gun in the safe and tried to forget about it ,I am fortunate to have a close friend that is such a good gun smith and after a while I showed it to him and he said he could place two small pins in the stock and do the repair and it would be stronger than original ,this gun is very very small through the wrist ,as you can see the gun was already refinished so that was no concern ,I originally bought it for a hunting piece any way ,so it looks nice and functions well ,I guess you could say it all worked out !