PDA

View Full Version : Unstruck barrel wieght

Steve Huffman
08-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Do we weigh with forend on or off ? Do we include the forend at all ? I can weigh a barrel with it off and its like they removed 8 ounces put it on its within 2 , I have read many posts about this but never saw a sure answer. Im going home tonight and see if its in the TPS anywhere just thought I would ask too.

Bill Murphy
08-30-2012, 05:32 PM
Without the forend, but the marked weight will be different from the actual weight depending on how much is struck, and whether the barrels were bored to a larger diameter later in life. Parker always refers to boring out barrels in benign terms like "clean up barrels" but some barrels are pretty big inside.

Steve Huffman
08-30-2012, 06:59 PM
Were some 12 ga hammerless top levers barrels also bored to around .754 before 1892 When in March of 1892 the standard became 0.729 / TPS page 517 or is this just the T latch guns? Whats the most you have seen struck from barrels that was factory ?

Bill Murphy
08-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Factory 12 gauge barrels, hammer and hammerless, were on the "close to .750" side before 1894. I don't know how much the factory took out on a cleanup, but the order book repair order is the only proof that such was done. Without the order book entry, there is no proof that anything was done at the factory.