PDA

View Full Version : North Bound to South Dakota

Bruce Day
11-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Next week the gang will be heading to SoDak for our annual Parker pheasant hunting trip. Charlie Herzog and I have 7 month old Llewellin setters that have been pointing, shot over and doing well, but we will be cautious with them. Most of the bird finding will fall to the older dogs, my old pointer, Chalie's Lab and Pete Kappes' setter and pointer. The corn is coming out of the neighboring fields and the corn is left in at our place and the birds come to it.

We have Charlie, Jim Van Blaricum and his son in law, me and my son thats here( the other is in DC working for his congressman) , Greg Dershem, Pete Kappes, Ron McDonald from Tasmania, John Dunkle, and lots of wild pheasant and prairie chicken. I can hardly wait.

We always bring a bunch of Parkers, high to low grades, various gauges, and people can try each others guns. I bring a Colt SAA and we have our lunch time shooting contests.

We have John Dunkle coming in and I will be looking and lurking for photo opportunities.

I have an article to write for the Pheasants Forever magazine about Parkers and pheasants so I will be looking for material, and where John is concerned, comical material to publish.

Here are a few from past years:

Dean Romig
11-04-2009, 09:54 AM
We have John Dunkle coming in and I will be looking and lurking for photo opportunities. :

Bruce, please remember me... I have a score to settle with Mr. D.

Bruce Day
11-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Dean, just tell the forum readers that you think John is right about the prohibition against selling guns on the PGCA forum and that will start heated discussions that will take months to come out of. That would fix him.

Call me when its over.

Dean Romig
11-04-2009, 12:20 PM
HA! I've dipped my toes in that water before and I don't think I want to swim in it. :duck:

ED J, MORGAN
11-04-2009, 12:21 PM
Bruce, Good luck and great hunting. Wish I were there! Regards, Ed

David Dwyer
11-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Bruce
Is that "new" CHE 16 Bernard going to see some action?
David

John Dunkle
11-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Geee whiz Bruce & Dean...

I'm reminded of an old saying I can only partially recall..?? Goes something like.. "..with friends like you who needs..."... ;)

I can, and will, also add that I was really looking forward to this trip....

;)

John

Dean Romig
11-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I can, and will, also add that I was really looking forward to this trip....

John

Operative word; "was" :rotf:

"You'll pay for this my Pretty! Aah-ha-ha-ha-ha!" :bigbye:

Bruce Day
11-04-2009, 02:32 PM
Yes David, it most certainly will.

Dean, yes, the situation could be dangerous, so I am going to use the 16ga to raise my hat ( I think I had better wear my old helmet liner ) above the grass to see if John shoots it off.

And don't shoot my new puppy. Long legged and gangly like a teenager.

John Dunkle
11-04-2009, 04:26 PM
I do hope that this server that sits about 2 feet from my desk, in my office, attached to my home, over my garage - stays "on-line" while I am away? And if it does go "off-line" doesn't drop a few users and threads/posts when it comes back on-line? Being in South Dakota, I would have a difficult time resetting it from thousands of miles away.......

Just sayin'......

:)

John..........

Dean Romig
11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Idle threats my friend, idle threats :corn:

Come to think of it... maybe Jen'll let me take yer Porch out for a spin whilst yer gone :bigbye:

C Roger Giles
11-04-2009, 05:37 PM
The gang sitting around the kitchen table are the epitome of Coca Cola cowboys during proabition.

Have a good hunt.

Roger Coger

John Dunkle
11-04-2009, 06:45 PM
....Come to think of it... maybe Jen'll let me take yer Porch out for a spin whilst yer gone :bigbye: Actually - if you do call her - she may well ask you to go hunting over my dogs (after you take our Porsches out for a spin ;) ). As well - remember - I train my own dogs, and as a few of you know - they are spectacular in the field - even the little one who I've only worked with for about 8-10 months.. Which - to be honest, is why I want to see Bruce's pup and how he has trained it up for the same length of time......

He may be the one who actually needs that helmet.. HA!!!!

We'll see..... :D

JD

Francis Morin
11-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Will have to say Bruce, that is a fine looking Setter, but the 'Nam era helmet liner (or "brain bucket") on a fine Parker instead of a M-14 or a M16 is a real interesting story in the offing, if you'd care to share. Who is the attractive Lady in the photo with the "surprised" look on her face? The Lady of the farm house where you guys stay? Been a few years since I hunted in SD- Chamberlain area, hope the birds are there for you and your crew. Interesting that you will have a mixture of both pointing and flushing dogs with you- do you usually split up into two-three man groups, or hunt the larger areas all together?? Good shooting--:cool:

Bruce Day
11-05-2009, 08:50 AM
Here's a photo of Charlie's setter Shea. Both Shea and my setter Triple are 8 months old and just recently began to be worked on live birds and be shot over. There is nothing like getting a young dog on wild birds and next week they will be there. I once had a pointer that was hopelessly gunshy and so I approach the first times being shot over with trepidation, but both these dogs have done well so far and show the makings of being good gundogs. And they are very lovable pets.

We hunt a little west of Huron, and the lady is Sue, the ranchhouse wife, chief cook and she who must be obeyed. We hunt as a group because of the huge land to be covered and plan tactics to cover a given piece of ground. Sometimes we get an older hunter who can't walk as hard and we can position those fellows where they can cut off escape routes and get shots. Our oldest hunter in the past has been 83. We suspect that John will not be able to keep up with me (62) or Charlie ( 67) so we'll likely have to bring a chair for him and use him as a blocker.

We are always outwitted by birdbrains but everyone will have an opportunity for their limit of three pheasant each. We generally see some prairie chicken. I've been hunting SoDak since the 1950's when we lived in Rapid City. I had relatives at SoDak State U at Brookings and I have memories of hunting with my father, Gov. Joe Foss and the university dean, a relative.

The helmet liner is just one of those military articles you collect over the years of service, 23 for dad, and 25 for me. The only gun I carried in Vietnam was a S&W Mod 10...they were afraid we Air Force pilots would hurt ourselves or others if they gave us something more effective.

John Dunkle
11-05-2009, 09:01 AM
Hey Francis..!

Actually - you may find that Bruce has little time for frivolities of the Forum as he has now hired a Professional trainer for his puppy... After a bit of research, I stumbled upon his contact information and asked him about his training techniques...???... His reply:

"...This afternoon we took two hundred pheasant and set them out across the county.. I had my whole neighborhood do the setting & shooting and I handled the setter.. She is now 7 days old.. The weather was snowing with heavy sunshine and the wind was calm at about 45 mph with gusts up to 80 nots or so. Her performance was outstanding – pointing and holding from 30-40 yards out, upwind, eyes closed, blindfolded, lying down, rolling over and muzzled 50 yards from any particular pheasant… This was her very first exposure to neighborhood peasants, and them shooting at her.. She did not make anything of the shooting at her and I was glad for that – cuz’ you never know how a young dog will respond to them pheasants, peasants and guns..

Well, off to help train Bruce’s dog up as well. Ought to be ready for S.D. in a day or two...."

....The helmet liner is just one of those military articles you collect over the years of service, 23 for dad, and 25 for me. .... You have 48 helmet liners???

;)

JD

Bruce Day
11-05-2009, 09:31 AM
Cute, damn cute.

She will likely find a dead cow and roll in that. She'll want to curl up beside you that night.

John Dunkle
11-05-2009, 10:21 AM
She will likely find a dead cow and roll in that. She'll want to curl up beside you that night. They shoot cows AND chickens in S.D..?? Do we need a special license for that or anything?

As well - remember - I frequently go to Haiti and work in some pretty disgusting conditions. I'm quite certain your pup will smell like a "daisy" in comparison...

Just sayin'....

John

Francis Morin
11-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Bruce- thanks for the info. Sounds like you have a well organized hunting plan, allowing of course for the inevitable intrusion of "Murphy's Laws" of course. I'm going on a Birthday preserve hunt tomorrow- most likely will use the GHE 12--The same club (I am a member) will have a European of Tower release shoot on Sun 22/Nov--then a pick-up hunt afterwards- always a great event- I like the idea of us older guys (I was born in 1941) being blockers, and being a pass shooter at heart, that's my style- I would guess you have the rule of "only climbing birds or those clearly visible above the line"- same as with the Tower shoots- only birds above the top line of the Tower are shootable-sometimes we get a few (mainly hens-) who do a tuck and roll and wait for the static line to "pop their 'chute" just above the deck, they get a "pass" and we hope to visit them later on the "pick-up" hunt--

As to your USAF issue sidearm- S&W Model 10-- let's not forget the armament of your aircraft- 20mm cannon, .50 cal. M-2 Brownings--I assume the sidearm was part of the "survival gear" in case- hope that never happened to you or your crew, very hostile country both above and below the DMZ- and of course, as "Tricky Dick" told the American public- we never flew sorties over Loas or Cambodia, Ho Chi Min Trail nonwithstanding- Just wish you guys had the "bunker buster bombs" for that cavern complex astride the Song River in NVA territory-

If you want a good read that deals with air combat (partially) during that era, read Michigan writer Jim Harrison's story "Revenge"- deals with a Navy aviator and his Phantom fighter- some aircraft indeed- but no cannon or MG's I believe--

I had a 1911-A-1 for a TO sidearm when I made E-6, but was never a high expert qualifier- I have a Colt Python with 6" barrel and shoot .38 wadcutters for target work at our club's ranges- I also have a Colt .38 Detective Special for my CCW carry gun- one thing about a "wheelgun"- the springs are NOT under tension until the piece is cocked- what sort of pistol noontime competition do you guys have? Sounds like fun- I have my Dad's Colt MT Woodsman he bought new in 1940--That's the only semi-auto handgun I own, and it is a great shooter- a hunting pal has a Colt "Ace" .22 built on the 1911-A-1 design- it's also a great shooter, but not as accurate as the MT Woodsman (IMO)--The handgun is weapon to be mastered, takes a lot of practice indeed, IMO.:bigbye:

Bruce Day
11-05-2009, 10:57 AM
For those who do not know, John Dunkle is the major monetary and labor supporter of a Catholic orphanage and school in Haiti.

Dean Romig
11-05-2009, 11:26 AM
To you John, and for all you do :cheers:

Francis Morin
11-05-2009, 11:33 AM
As both a member of St. Patrick's parish and a believer in trying to help others, I recall the late Fr. Flannigan, founder of Boy's Town saying these words: "No man stands taller than when he bends down to help a child" and Haiti has to be one of the many countries ravaged by disease and poverty-and of course the children are affected in the greater extreme. I also recall the words of my friend John Croyle, founder of Big Oak Ranch in Gadsen, AL-- John was a star running back for "Bear" Bryant at "Bama" in the late 1970's- had several pro offers, but instead, with the help of a brother athlete who turned over his first year signing bonus with the Washington Redskins to help John and his wife Ti start Big Oak Ranch "on a shoestring" and like the acorns that fall to the ground, Big Oak Ranch has also-- John is the person who said two things that I will always remember about caring for children: 1) "Patience is being patient when your patience runs out", and (2) "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car we drove, what sort or house we lived in, or how much money we had in the bank- what will matter is that we were able to make the life of a child better"--

Of note, at least to me, in my friend's last remarks is his choice of the singular- "A child" not perhaps children. I am "second guessing" John here, but I think he may have recalled the parable about the boy on the beach after a severe storm-- goes something like this: "On the morning after a huge storm from the ocean had pounded the beach, a man sees a young lad picking up starfish- damaged from the pounding waves--' Say there, Son, he says- don't you know you can't save them all?" "Yesire, that's true, but at least I can save ONE" was the lads' reply--

I belong to the FruitRidge Farms hunt club (where I will be hunting pheasants tomorrow) and they sponsor the "Hunt For A Cure" Cystic Fibrosis program, our European shoot for 22/Nov will be a benefit for that cause. And Chuck Connell, owner of the Tails A Waggin club near Marion, MI sponsors fishing charters for children-

I'm not surprised to read this about John Dunkle, even though we have never met- as our Aussie friends might say: "Good on you, Mate" Good indeed!!:bowdown:

John Dunkle
11-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Aww - my thanks folks.. Actually - our 501c3 isn't a part of any Catholic Church - or for that matter - any larger organization(s), churches, yada, yada. In short - we set it up and run it - and it is privately funded through our efforts alone and private donations from private individuals.. For that - we have done a few orphanages, schools effecting thousands of kids and support some children through foster mothers for school expenses, books and uniforms... May of these kids are "street kids" who have no parents and or were to be sold off into child slavery (which happens to about 300,000 Haitian children a year - google "haiti restaveks (http://www.google.com/search?q=haiti+restaveks&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)"

While I really need to update our website with some newer info - here it is:

http://rennwish.org/
or a couple of our projects. As you can see - we don't "hand out fish" - but rather - "teach the kids/villages to fish"..:
http://rennwish.org/Pastor_Vilnor.htm
http://rennwish.org/Pwoje_Espwa.htm
http://rennwish.org/Buy_Mom_A-Block.htm

Anyway - my sincerest thanks!

John

John Mazza
11-05-2009, 05:14 PM
Even without a church affiliation, you're doing God's work...

Bruce Day
11-06-2009, 09:02 AM
In preparation for going north to go south, Dakota that is, we need to mention that we use the occasion for educational broadening. Instead of pheasant hunting all the time, we devote one afternoon to tour the Anne Hathaway cottage in Wessington Springs, the closest town.

In the evenings, we attend the opera at the Springs opera house.

John is joining us from the east, and we want to show off that we have culture too.

Dean Romig
11-06-2009, 09:07 AM
. . . then there are the Honky-tonks and Bordellos :shock:

Bruce Day
11-06-2009, 09:08 AM
And finally,

Francis Morin
11-06-2009, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=Bruce Day;6737]In preparation for going north to go south, Dakota that is, we need to mention that we use the occasion for educational broadening. Instead of pheasant hunting all the time, we devote one afternoon to tour the Anne Hathaway cottage in Wessington Springs, the closest town.

In the evenings, we attend the opera at the Springs opera house.

John is joining us from the east, and we want to show off that we have culture too.- I'm sure John D. appreciates the evenings' festivities- the Opera House sounds intriguing- sorry to have to ask, but who was Anne Hathaway?

As far as the billboard for the SD "Larger Roosters" sort of reminds me of the restaurant/bar in Ocean City MD (where one of my married sisters lives)- named after the famous "Foghorn Leghorn" Chicken--whose catch phrase "Aah say Boy, Aah say-dat weasel gonna getcha"!! I guess culture is where you find it- good luck with those "Big Roosters"--:bigbye:

John Dunkle
11-06-2009, 03:07 PM
...In the evenings, we attend the opera at the Springs opera house.... John is joining us from the east, and we want to show off that we have culture too.Dear Mr. Tour Director and Epiphanous One....

Please know I do not do operas. Whilst my wife has wanted me to take her to an opera for years - I cringe at the thought of men jumping around in tights and I, too, cringe at thinking about women in tutu's screeching out songs in Italian... And yes, I do believe I do have culture. Fortunately for you - I believe it's contagious.... :)

However - today - I did purchase a portable camera for recording this trip in the annals of PGCA history...

Yer' Buddy,

John

John Dunkle
11-06-2009, 03:15 PM
....sorry to have to ask, but who was Anne Hathaway?I believe she played Mary Ann on Gilligan's Island...?

Just a guess....

:D

John

Dean Romig
11-06-2009, 03:22 PM
However - today - I did purchase a portable camera for recording this trip in the annuals of PGCA history...
John

As in 'pocket size? rather than that enormous professional camera you've been seen with?

That big camera does nasty, embarassing things to innocent photographic subjects :shock:

Bruce Day
11-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Francis, Anne Hathaway was the wife of William Shakespeare who wrote something like West Side Story ( that's all you need to know for now). Anyway, her cottage is right there in Wessington Springs up on the hill. She may have pursued a later career as Mary Ann but I cannot confirm that.

John, Doc Van is quite the singer and does a lot of church choir singing but I've not known him to wear tights. You can ask though. By the way, Doc is bringing his 16ga G grade top lever hammer gun with 32" damascus barrels. I'll bring a 20 ga/32" DHE for fun.

I understand there is an expected migration through of the following critter, so better be ready:

John Dunkle
11-06-2009, 03:31 PM
As in 'pocket size? rather than that enormous professional camera you've been seen with? That big camera does nasty, embarassing things to innocent photographic subjects :shock: Why Dean - I'm somewhat surprised at your reply..?? I have absolutely no idea what you are referring to..???!!!

BTW - yep - the new camera has a bunch of new features - including TAKING MOVIES WITH SOUND!!..!!! Yea Baby!! I'm certain I might find a creative venue for that feature.......

;)

John

Dean Romig
11-06-2009, 03:41 PM
Yeah John - wondeful blackmail tools, those "talkies"

John Dunkle
11-06-2009, 03:43 PM
John, Anne Hathaway was the wife of William Shakespear (<-sic) who wrote something like West Side Story ( that's all you need to know for now).... Bruce...

William Shakespeare never wrote "West Side Story". Everyone knows he wrote Gone with the Wind, Educating Your Wit, Romero & Julliard (sp?), Hamblet, As You Licked It, The Merchant of Venison, and other stuff.. My favorite quotes:

King Lear
"Nothing will come of nothing." - (Act I, Scene I).

King Henry the Sixth, Part II
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers". - (Act IV, Scene II)

Coriolanus
"Nature teaches beasts to know their friends". - (Act II, Scene I)

And so on....

John

John Dunkle
11-06-2009, 03:49 PM
....By the way, Doc is bringing his 16ga G grade top lever hammer gun with 32" damascus barrels. I'll bring a 20 ga/32" DHE for fun.....Ahhh - I see you edited your post to include some Parker content - perfect!!

In reply and my Parker content....

Mind terribly much if I shoot those Parkers?

Thankyouverymuch.....

;)

John

Bruce Day
11-06-2009, 03:57 PM
John, I remember reading all those in the classic comics when I took courses for my master's at the University of North Dakota. I somehow missed those for my BS and JD degrees, and I thank you for refreshing my recollection. Note that I said Shakespeare wrote "something like West Side Story". I did not say he wrote West Side Story but I do know that he wrote Broke With the Wind.

Absolutely John. We'll bring a lot of fun guns to shoot. Long barreled small bores, small bore Bernards, a 24" DHE 20ga which is very fast, tight choked long range 12's, hammer guns, maybe a lifter or two, 10ga upland guns, lots of interesting guns.

John Dunkle
11-06-2009, 04:24 PM
..... my BS in JD degree..... Ed Zachery - JD

....a 24" DHE 20ga ..... OHHH - OHHHH - OOOOHHHH (raising my hand!!! Raising my hand to be noticed..!!) I want that one!! Yea, baby....

I'm still debating bringing my 20GA DH out..??

JD (<-no BS in JD degree)

John Dunkle
11-06-2009, 04:28 PM
And oh - I should note.. This Forum is about Parkers.....

This thread - while having little to do about Parkers....

Is still an educational journey about something. Exactly "about what" - is left to the readers imagination...

Thank gosh it is Friday...

;)

JD

scott kittredge
11-06-2009, 05:21 PM
john, i think you are talking about my 20 dh show gun::rolleyes: scott

John Dunkle
11-06-2009, 06:00 PM
john, i think you are talking about my 20 dh show gun::rolleyes: scott
Ummm..??? Scott??? (hang on - I'm checking my gun safe....).....

OK - I'm back.... Sorry for the delay....

Ummm..??? Scott???

I haven't sold you my 20 DH show gun... You are - however - in my will as having "right of 20th refusal" on that DH....??

I hope this helps - but quite sure it doesn't...???

;)

Hey - how is the shoulder healing up??

John

scott kittredge
11-06-2009, 06:35 PM
john , 20 th in line !? i have been out with the gun now for 3 weeks .i have gone crow,duck,goose, and deer hunting and have had good luck with all of them !! still healing but should be ready for the 2nd half of waterfowel season on the 25 of nov. thanks for asking and good luck with the rest of the season !! hope to see you at the jan. 1st shoot at MWSA . scott

Dave Suponski
11-06-2009, 07:33 PM
Not to hyjack this thread,,But I gotta ask ya Scott. Are you going to do the New Years Day Shoot again?? Hows that shoulder doin?

Francis Morin
11-06-2009, 07:52 PM
John, I'm with you in spades on the "Not wanting to see men in tights playing leapfrog across the stage floor- while women are singing in Italian and wearing TuTu's-- Huum- possibly a cultural take on the old "Nehru Jackets" or years ago- women wearing costumes designed by Bishop Desmond TuTu-- makes me recall the Chinese philosopher's words: "May you live in interesting times"--

Not SD today (6/Nov- my Birthday) but close to it at our Kent Co. hunting club- overcast skies, some moisture- started out with my partner and his two Labs- father and son- Junior out for some OJT- Our club manager gets some very cagy and strong flying birds- not the same as the wild ones you are headed for with Colonel Day and crew, but great cover mix- I used the 12 GHE and shot it very well (for an old guy anyway) and enjoyed the morning- some of the pheasants didn't however-

Anyway, sounds like you will be exposed to some great Midwestern culture and hospitality-hope you all get into some good bird cover, enjoy the day, the dog work, and even the "Opera"-- Possibly a report on that will be forthcoming after your safe return home--:bigbye:

james van blaricum
11-06-2009, 11:15 PM
Gentlemen: Having studied and seen many opera's, I don't recall leaping men in tights and women in Tutu"s singing Italian Opera or opera of any kind. I think you have the opera mixed up with Ballet. As an after thought, maybe a Ballet written with the dancers
singing and hopping all over the stage branishing a Parker CHE shooting mock pheasants would be a blast. Off this Sunday to see the Makado by Gilbert and Sulliv an.
s

g

Francis Morin
11-07-2009, 09:44 AM
Gentlemen: Having studied and seen many opera's, I don't recall leaping men in tights and women in Tutu"s singing Italian Opera or opera of any kind. I think you have the opera mixed up with Ballet. As an after thought, maybe a Ballet written with the dancers
singing and hopping all over the stage branishing a Parker CHE shooting mock pheasants would be a blast. Off this Sunday to see the Makado by Gilbert and Sulliv an.

Thanks to Bruce and friends for the Anne Hathaway clarification- also some of the "re-issued" Shakespeare titles- Opera or Ballet, having some culture of an evening in SD during "Big Rooster" season can't be all that bad. After carrying such a fine assortment of Parkers in various gauges, grades and barrel configurations, plus the ammo exchange in the course of a fine day afield after John Ringneck(s), I know my body and mind would be taxed a tad just keeping things sorted out, so off to the Opera House we shall go. I had heard the line about "Killing the lawyers tonight" somewhere, believe Don Henley alluded to that in his song "Get Over It"-- something like "Old Billy was right, first thing we do is kill all the lawyers, kill 'em tonight"-but NOT Bruce Day of course-- Also glad James spelled it properly as "mock pheasants" who should be properly grateful to have met their "mock demise" vis a vis a fine CHE Parker- first class exit indeed. Had James spelled it "mock peasants" instead, I might have thought he had been watching old Mel Brooks' "History of the World" the scene with King Louis (you pick the numbers here, you've seen one King Louis, you have seen them all for my $) with a loader and a pair of hammerlock doubles, calling out "Pull" and a peasant gets airborne from a catapault- His Majesty fires off both barrels, the peasant falls, and the great line ensues: "It's good to be King"!!:rolleyes:
s

g[/QUOTE]

Bruce Day
11-07-2009, 11:52 AM
My mind is taxed too just keeping things read.

The Shakespeare phrase "kill all the lawyers" was uttered by Falstaff, an overweight buffoon in the play who ate too much, drank too much and frequently said inappropriate things as part of his role of comic relief. He played the everyman likeble fool comic role, hung out in the local tavern, and was popularly described as a "lying tub of lard". His name is a play on words describing his impotence after drinking too much.

I'm sure his kind died out generations ago.

Bill Bolyard
11-07-2009, 03:57 PM
My mind is taxed too just keeping things read.

The Shakespeare phrase "kill all the lawyers" was uttered by Falstaff, an overweight buffoon in the play who ate too much, drank too much and frequently said inappropriate things as part of his role of comic relief. He played the everyman likeble fool comic role, hung out in the local tavern, and was popularly described as a "lying tub of lard". His name is a play on words describing his impotence after drinking too much.

I'm sure his kind died out generations ago.

Bruce,

The Chinese must of paid attention to Shakespeare, Didn't they kill all the lawyers? :duck: