PDA

View Full Version : Rambling

john hickerson
11-03-2009, 05:05 PM
Monday my partner Phill and I are going over to the Eastern Shore after Woodcock and Quail. Not early as we used to so it will be about ten thirty. It only takes us forty five minutes and neither of us can hunt as hard as we used to. I had my eighty third birthday this September. Still can play tennis four days a week however I think I can run better than I can walk.
We will have my four year old setter and PHil has a young and an old one. Plan on using my sixteen O frame V.H.. In it right barrel choked .00665 I will use low pressure reloads 3/4 oz. No 8 with a spreader and 7 1/2 in the left which is .013. It weighs 6 1/4 lb, a half pound lighter than my twenty.
We will hunt the edges along soybeans wooded creeks. Hope some Woodcock are down this early so wish us luck.
Missed going to the annual meeting and seeing all you guys. I try to advoid driving after dark.
My duck boat is in the water down at Back Bay. I only hunted once in the early season. Left the house just after dawn and was set out by eight thirty.
Only saw one bunch of ducks which flared off. I think it was my sun glases. Stayed there until noon, unloaded my gun,put every thing in the boat behind the blind, gave the boat a shove and looked up to see a pair of mallards sitting twenty yards off at the edge of the decoys. They were surprised to see me after a while they took off.
Duck season starts the 17 th. After tweny years we finally have grass, lots of it. Itwas even hard to pick up the decoys.

HICK

Destry L. Hoffard
11-03-2009, 05:39 PM
Glad to know you're getting out Hick, keep us posted as to how your season goes.

Destry

Kevin McCormack
11-03-2009, 05:57 PM
Hick;

Tennis four days a week and keeping up with a 4-yr. old Setter working the edge of a bean field? Whatever you're on, I want some of it!

I put my two rail skiffs up on the screened porch under-rafters this afternoon; not much of a season, only got out once and I think we were way too early. Also a lot less rice in the meadow we usually hunt; I hope they weren't there yet as opposed to having abandoned it due to lack of food. It's always a challenge to find a new one these days.

After that I cleaned the fallen leaves and acorns that had blown under my duck skiff's cover and winched her back onto the trailer (I use the same trailer with racks I made for the railskiffs). Looking at the bags of decoys then over at my aging Lab pacing in her kennel gave me quite a rush. I was up in NY in the grouse woods for the MD early duck opener but by all accounts so far it was great. I am hoping the DU and DNR boys are right about this having the potential to be the best duck season on the Delmarva in 25 years. These are the days!

David Hamilton
11-03-2009, 09:01 PM
I don't need to stay up any longer to know that the Republicans have swept the state of Virginia! I'm taking a deep breath and will sleep in peace tonight.
Davidhttp://parkerguns.org/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Bill Murphy
11-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Let's see. Yup, yup, yup, and yup. Especially the last yup.

Dean Romig
11-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Hick, It's good to hear from you. I see your name occasionally at the bottom of all this, indicating you're reading the threads from time to time and I'm glad you dropped a note as to what you've been up to. Hope you do well on the quail and woodcock! How do you like your woodcock prepared? I like mine sauteed extra rare in butter and a tiny dash of salt.

Keep in touch,

Dean

john hickerson
11-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Kevin,
I breast out the meat. Put some butter in a skilit and sautee lightly. place breasts on toast, add milk to the pan making a gravy and pour it over the breasts. I hope I get to try it out again.

HIck

Bill Murphy
11-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Hello, Hick. Good luck with your bird season. We hope you pay us a visit at the Southern next spring. Bill Murphy

Destry L. Hoffard
11-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Hick,

I missed the Southern this past spring, if you promise me you'll come I'll be there too. Maybe we can keep from getting thrown out of that restaurant again.

Destry