PDA

View Full Version : Parker of the Month - November Contest

John Dunkle
11-03-2009, 07:38 AM
After a terrific turnout for the October Parker of the Month - all who are registered to the Parker Forums are encouraged to participate in the "November Parker of the Month" contest! Until November 25th, please post your pictures in this thread (and only this thread!). I will close this thread on or about November 25th - and post a new POLL so folks can vote on their favorite "Parker of the Month". At the end of the poll - the winning picture will be shown here:

http://parkerguns.org and be reserved for the month of December Calendar.

The Ground rules are simple.....

Please post up to FIVE of YOUR (sorry - they MUST BE YOUR PHOTOS!) pictures in this thread.

We encourage you to enter even if you only have one photo that you like, as folks will be looking for "that Parker Quailty" that defines "Why we do this", so that one photo could be a winning photo. Those my be of a Parker, hunting scene with a Parker, still-life or even an action shot.

Members may comment on the photo entries in the photo contest thread and leave nice comments about other images in the thread if you feel the urge to do so. BUT - please do not post any photos in this thread that are not intended to be entries. Pictures NOT posted as entries will be deleted from the thread.....

Editing rule: Altered Images—Photographs manipulated for artistic purposes by applying digital and/or traditional special effects (i.e. hand coloring, toning, bleaching, collage and photo composites, etc.) are accepted. In short - "show us what you got" - BUT - the Parker Shotgun must remain "as is" (sorry, you can't make your Trojan an "A-1" with photoshop, if you know what I mean )

Occasionally, some member(s) or organization(s) may donate prizes for the monthly contest. These will be announced in the appropriate month's thread (as above). If you know a business that would like to participate - please have them contact me directly.

All votes and prize winners will be final - SO WAIT UNTIL THE VOTING THREAD to "express your opinion "I'll vote for that" ""

By entering, participants grant permission for their winning photos to be used as an main photo on the PGCA Website, Calendar (with attribution - of course) and maybe other areas of the PGCA site....

Good luck and let's have some fun with this..!

That is all...

John

Harry Collins
11-03-2009, 08:49 AM
Taken earlier this year....

Dave Fuller
11-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Repro (I know that'll hurt my chances) with Grouse and Woodcock

Larry Frey
11-03-2009, 01:04 PM
Repro (I know that'll hurt my chances) with Grouse and Woodcock

Dave,
I wouldn't feel that way (about using a Repo) at all. Last months contest winning photo was not the highest grade or even the nicest condition gun. I think it was just an outstanding photo. I think your photo is outstanding also and if there are none better you may have a winner.

Dave Suponski
11-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Its only a Trojan but...

Russ Jackson
11-03-2009, 06:17 PM
I will post this but after Daves ,I can see I will have to come up with a better Pic. Dave that is really a nice shot !

Dave Suponski
11-03-2009, 06:23 PM
Russ,I don,t know if you were complementing to me or Dave Fuller.Cause Mr. Fuller has a nice shot also. Russ,That is one nice Parker! I think we are in for some great photos here. :corn:

Destry L. Hoffard
11-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Damn Collins!!!! That's a grand pintail for this early in the season.

Destry

Russ Jackson
11-03-2009, 06:47 PM
Dave S., Actually I was complementing your Pic. but you are correct all of the pics. are very nice ,I guess I am partial to the moss covered rocks ,puts me in mind of our area here in the Mts. of Pa. By the way that is a nice looking Trojan ,My first post for last months Photo was also a Trojan ,16 Bore ,my first Parker ,I still try to get the old gun out for at least one hunt per season,the games safe when I take it, unless I am shooting spreader loads with it ! Thank you for the complement on the Hammer gun ,it is a D Grade 10 Ga. with 32 " barrels, #3 Frame and the barrel weight is 6#, Total weight 10 # 6 Oz. ,Alot of gun to carry in five foot high switch Grass !

Destry L. Hoffard
11-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I've posted this one before, but it's one of my favorites that I ever took, plus seeing as how it's duck season and all........

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b398/MarketHunter/ParkerCanvasback-1.jpg

Harry Collins
11-03-2009, 09:44 PM
Destry,

That is a beautiful picture. You know Roger is going to fuss about the "hat"....

I took the Pintail in Arkansas last January and I would have had a double, but of course I didn't want "Tar" to get arrested...

Harry

Destry L. Hoffard
11-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Ahhh earlier this year as in much earlier. That makes a lot more sense with that kinda plumage. I've only ever killed a couple in my life that would come even close to that. Watched Dad shoot one that might rival it years ago, it's on the wall in his office to this day.

Destry

John Dallas
11-04-2009, 10:25 AM
If we're posting pictures of "Tar", here's my old girl, Tar. Over 1300 retrieves and 50 visits to Detroit's Children's Hospital as a Therapy Dog. Of couse she prefers the "Retreiving Therapy" better

Harry Collins
11-04-2009, 01:27 PM
John,

Great picture of a great looking dog. I took my picture off because of the guides awful choice of shotguns in the background.

Harry

John Dunkle
11-05-2009, 06:56 PM
So far, these entries for this month are OUTSTANDING!!! Let's keep them coming, OK???

And I might actually add one in the competition.. ;) Or not.. :eek:

John

ken wight
11-05-2009, 10:22 PM
First hunt with my new gun , Ser# 120709 Grade D 12 Ga.
Please note, limits for two are displayed

Ben Yarian
11-07-2009, 10:01 PM
My first ever limit of grouse.

Kurt Densmore
11-11-2009, 09:29 PM
...seeing as I have been striking out on ring-necks this season....Grade 3, 12 gauge, 1 frame, 28" bbls, This bird was shot on stateland and was the second flush of the morning. I flushed two on stateland this morning but don't want to go into details....:banghead:

Kurt Densmore
11-11-2009, 09:45 PM
I got lucky this morning and shot a grouse in southern michigan...I think I have flushed this bird two other times without getting a shot. Nice big bird, I may get it mounted, it is pretty much a trophy down here...Oh, GH 20 with 26" parker special steel bbls

Dean Romig
11-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Hey Kurt - Nice pictures, nice birds and nice guns too. Get that big brown phase bird stuffed. I made the mistake a couple of weeks ago of shooting one much like that one (a big, brown cock bird) and never even thought to have it mounted... duh!

Russ Jackson
11-11-2009, 10:00 PM
Kurt; Nice looking Pheasant and a beautiful D grade Hammer gun ,I have one in 10 Ga. engraving appears identical but on a # 3 Frame ,,,32 " Barrels , Heavy !! I'll bet yours is areal pleasure to carry ,Nice Picture !

Dave Suponski
11-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Look at the wood on that GH..:eek: Oh my God...Simply stunning. Nice pictures Kurt.

Russ Jackson
11-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Well ,while we are doing pheasants ,I guess I 'll throw another one into the hat !This is from a hunt earlier in the week on State Game lands ,here in Pa. The gun is my 20 ,Ga, PH with twist 28 " barrels.

Dean Romig
11-11-2009, 10:25 PM
Yup, American Black Walnut crotchwood - nice!

Patrick Lien
11-12-2009, 03:09 PM
DH and Rooster.

Patrick

Dean Romig
11-12-2009, 05:21 PM
Great pictures Patrick!

Patrick Lien
11-13-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks Dean,
My son and I bagged this guy last weekend. This was the first bird for the DH since I acquired it but I doubt that is was new experience for the gun. The gun was completed in 1897 and has outstanding shooting dimensions for a gun of that era.
My son is almost 12 and shooting a 101 20 gauge, but he is putting a hard eye on my Parkers after he saw what this old gun did.
I hunt very little these days as work and family take priority, but when I do make time to go with my son it an experience that I cannot explain. So tomorrow this son is going home to hunt with his dad for a week.

Patrick

Dean Romig
11-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Sharing it with family is the best, especially fathers and sons.
Titanic barrels were introduced in 1897 - you may have one of the first.

Dave Suponski
11-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Pat,Great photo.Real nice old DH. Time spent with your son outdoors is priceless but I am sure you already know this. Hey,when you get home please tell your Dad I said hi..And that I will give him a call.

Kent Nickerson
11-13-2009, 10:32 AM
Well, someone has to be the anchorman....my little VH 20 bore and some of her subjects...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/bluetoon/20bore-1.jpg

Asa Kelley
11-14-2009, 07:10 PM
This set of 28 inch Trojan barrels was so bad on the outside that my gunsmith did not want to re-do . He rechoked it to skt 1 skt 2 and it shoots great. The bores and thickness were fine but the outside looked like it had been stored in a saltwater marsh. I bought the barrel and foreend on Ebay for I believe less that $90.00 and had the barrels fitted to my 30" Trojan. The foreend shows a lot of wear. The older barrels with ext. were fitted to a 1929 gun without ext. and my gunsmith fitted them without a hitch. He just ground off the extension and did what he normally does.

John Dunkle
11-17-2009, 06:15 PM
Bump - stick to top of the Forum...

We need MORE PICS!!! Keep 'em coming - these are terrific!!!

;)

John

Russ Jackson
11-17-2009, 06:27 PM
OK ,John, First Woodcock ,hunt of the 2009_ 2010 season ,A brace of birds taken with my D Grade 28 Ga. And old Chip !

John Dunkle
11-17-2009, 06:29 PM
OH YEA...!!! I'd vote for the pic of your pup - but - I am biased..!! :)

Great pics!!!!! Thanks for sharing them!!

John

Russ Jackson
11-17-2009, 06:40 PM
John , Thank you for the nice comments on the pics. The " Pup " is going to be nine years old in the spring ,and his Mom is going to be Fifteen ! :)

Dave Suponski
11-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Great Pic's Russ! Thanks

Kurt Densmore
11-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Kurt; Nice looking Pheasant and a beautiful D grade Hammer gun ,I have one in 10 Ga. engraving appears identical but on a # 3 Frame ,,,32 " Barrels , Heavy !! I'll bet yours is areal pleasure to carry ,Nice Picture !

Thanks Russ,
It is nice to carry........but, I am willing to bet that your D grade 28 gauge is at least 3/4 lb lighter. Nice pics with the old girl and the woodcock.....

Kurt

Russ Jackson
11-18-2009, 07:35 AM
Kurt The 28 weighs in right at 6 lb. even, it is an O Frame gun, and the unfinished Barrel weight on my 10 Ga. Hammer gun is 6 lb. ! And the gun itself ,if my memory is correct is right around 11 lb.,makes for quite a day carrying the old girl loaded ,hammers cocked and barrels open ,through chest high soaking wet switch grass for pheasants !! That is what I did on our Pa. pheasant opener ,it rained in sheets all day ,but I was determined to get a bird or two with that gun ! Buddy My butt was whipped by the afternoon , I came in and told my wife and daughter at dinner that evening ,those old timers sure were alot tougher guys than what I am !

Harry Collins
11-18-2009, 10:23 AM
There are two pictures already posted that I have not been able to make my mind up on which to vote for. I thought I would throw another one into the fray...an 1881 12 gauge Lifter with Twist barrels.

John Dunkle
11-18-2009, 06:07 PM
:sigh:

Someday Harry - someday - I'll have a Parker Hammer.. ;)

Great picture!!!!

John

John Dunkle
11-24-2009, 10:57 AM
Last bump before I close this in a few days for voting... The entries this month have been simply outstanding - so my thanks to all of you who posted!

John

Brian Dillard
11-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Son's first turkey, sorry forgot the Parker!

Larry Frey
11-25-2009, 06:05 PM
That’s terrific Brian, you must be very proud. I did all those firsts with my son and now have been doing it all over again with my grandson. There’s nothing better than spending time in the woods with young hunters.

Dean Romig
11-25-2009, 08:10 PM
Who can blame you for forgetting to include the Parker in the photo at a moment like that? Great memories is what it's all about.

Robert Rambler
11-28-2009, 02:26 PM
1903 16GA DH IC/M 26in Titanic