PDA

View Full Version : South Texas "grouse" with a Parker

Forrest Smith
10-31-2009, 01:10 PM
I got this guy on opening morning of our grouse season, with a Parker. I bet there haven't been many Chachalacas brought to bag with old reliable. This one is going on the wall.

Forrest

Richard Flanders
10-31-2009, 03:46 PM
That's a new one on me...

E Robert Fabian
10-31-2009, 03:50 PM
Forest, good looking bird congrats. I don't think I've ever seen one. Are they a uncommon species?

Forrest Smith
11-01-2009, 06:22 AM
They're not particularly uncommon, but they are particularly hard to hunt. They live in some really thick, thorny patches. They seldom fly except when flushed and when they do it is short juants through openings in the cover, or hopping-flying along horizontal mesquite branches. I've hunted them for years down here and they're a real challenge. Opening day for them is the same as for quail, and dove season is open still as well, so you can have a nice mixed bag hunt.

Dean Romig
11-01-2009, 10:06 PM
How are they as table fare?

Forrest Smith
11-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Dean,

I must admit, as table fare they diverge some from your "real" grouse. Mostly dark meat, and almost a sweet, but strong gamey flavor to them. I'd much rather have Mr. Bobwhite over to dinner if I had my choosing. I understand they were hunted and sold in markets in the old days. The limit now is 5, but I've never met anyone who's killed more than 1 at a time, and even that is uncommon.

Dean Romig
11-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Sounds interesting. I'd try one for sure. maybe if it were soaked a few hours in buttermilk it would lose most of the gaminess.

james van blaricum
11-01-2009, 11:01 PM
stuff them with rattle snake meat and cook them on charcoal.

Destry L. Hoffard
11-02-2009, 01:44 PM
You've got my envy here. Most of the boys know of my fondness for the strange in wingshooting, I can really appreciate such a bird. I'd rather shoot something like that than a Boone and Crockett whitetail.

Destry