Dean Romig
10-28-2009, 09:42 PM
A few more.

Dean Romig
10-28-2009, 09:53 PM
Only a few days left...

Don Kaas
10-29-2009, 01:45 PM
Maybe the PGCA can use a replica of Frank Woolner's custom cut down Winchester Model 59 as a raffle gun...I can't help but think of Frank everytime I cast for a striper or blue...one of my childhood outdoor magazine heros sort of like a Northeastern Jack O'Connor...

Bill Murphy
10-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Did Lynn Bogue Hunt have a home, offices, or studio in The Bronx? I have a Parker order copy for a "Lynn Hunt, Bronx, New York" in my files. Was this Lynn Bogue Hunt? It is hard to sift through google entries for LBH because there are so many pages. Help.

Dean Romig
10-29-2009, 09:50 PM
He lived in Chicago and had a studio there but he's buried in the Bronx with his parents. I wonder if he is a 'junior'? Was his father's name Lynn also?

Don Kaas
10-30-2009, 08:38 AM
I have a book on LBH at home. If I recall, he was from Albion, NY near Buffalo and after living in Detroit for awhile moved to New York City to work for F&S and lived in the area for most of his life. He was a frequent guest of his buddy, Van Campen Heilner at the PGC.

Drew Hause
10-30-2009, 09:29 AM
More Hunt http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20309752

and woodcock http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20286828

Archibald Thorburn (1860-1935)
"A Labor of Love"

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1373/6511424/20286828/329520661.jpg

Bill Murphy
10-30-2009, 02:13 PM
November 12, 1931. Credit Lynn Hunt, Bronx, NY. SAAH, Grade 7, 12-32 to balance order for new gun. $314.25. Serial number 234,562.

Francis Morin
10-30-2009, 02:27 PM
:Lynn Bogue Hunt, Edmund Osthaus, Milton Pleissner, Chet Reneson, William Bishop, Roland Clark. One might infer from Mr. Murphy's fine research re the Parker in 1931 ordered by LBH at over $300 that the Big Crash of 1929 didn't hit everyone with the same sledge-hammer blow. Grade 7- that would be a AAHE- any more details besides the sn from Mr. Murphy's research- ordered for hunting grouse, or a duck gun perhaps??

This past June, visiting one of my sisters out East (Dover DE) we went to the RCA Victor museum- wonder about Mr. Middleton- CEO back then and his Invincible 16- took delivery sometime in September 1929- apparently stored:nono: it unfired in the case in a closet- I don't know what the open bird seasons were in NJ and DE back in 1929, but I know this- if I had bought s special order Parker (or Fox or Ithaca or LC Smith) as soon as I had it in my hands, I'd want to shoot it, if even just on clays--:nono:???

Dean Romig
10-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Generally speaking a SAAH (SBT) wasn't used for hunting but was used exclusively for clays without question.

Dean Romig
10-30-2009, 03:04 PM
Surprising he didn't do his own engraving. He made some beautiful jewelry - my mother had a very nice band bracelet, silver and gold and engraved as well made and signed by Lynn Bogue Hunt. Wish she still had it but being an antique dealer, it went for a handsome profit.

Francis Morin
10-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Thanks Dean, I missed that in reading Mr. Murphy's post and detailed reply. So another added dimension to Mr. Hunt's shooting life. By the way, in the post-Vintagers and PGCA event wrap-up, I believe Art Wheaton or another BOD member was looking ahead to next's event and a theme- I suggested to him perhaps the Parker Trap and Skeet Guns- Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Parker SBT existed first, then as Remington was a "booster" for Skeet, the Parker Skeet guns came out in the 1930's. Not sure about the Parker Double trap guns with the ventilated ribs- but I'd like to see more about the Clays and Live Bird guns Parker made--over and beyond the first class article by Jeff Kuss in the recent edition of Parker Pages!!

Dean Romig
10-30-2009, 03:32 PM
I wonder if LBH's SAAH was shipped to A&F... anything about that Bill?

Destry L. Hoffard
10-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Dean,

I've got my doubts that Hunt actually made that jewelry himself, I believe a jewelry company just used his designs. I've got a necktie marked Lynn Bogue Hunt but I don't believe he was a weaver so I'm assuming it's the same kinda deal.

I've seen several pieces of LBH jewelry over the years. If he made it himself he was pretty prolific.

Destry

Dean Romig
10-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the Parker SBT existed first, then as Remington was a "booster" for Skeet, the Parker Skeet guns came out in the 1930's. Not sure about the Parker Double trap guns with the ventilated ribs-

I think you've got it about right Francis.

Dean Romig
10-30-2009, 03:58 PM
No Destry, it is a documented fact that he made some jewelry. His name isn't stamped into the piece, his signature is engraved.

Bill Murphy
10-31-2009, 08:32 AM
Neat question, Dean. Yes, the gun was sold new at Abercrombie and Fitch. Anyone care to pay for a letter from Griffin and Howe Research to find out whether LBH bought it new and how much he paid? Maybe he traded his work for the gun. The ledger books would tell the tale.

Dean Romig
11-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Tempting . . .

Francis Morin
11-01-2009, 09:45 PM
[QUOTE=Dean Romig;6534]Tempting . How much does G&H charge for such research on guns they sold? Lynn Bogue Hunt- if he bought or bartered for a high grade SBT in 1931- does the ATA have any record of his shooting registered targets? Did he have a home club of record?

The shotguns of well known sporting artists might be a great topic for a well researched article in Parker Pages. I have a Chet Reneson artist's proof of "Sly Brook Natives" and have spoken with him in the past- believe he has a custom M21 in 20 gauge, but also, older "working guns" from his early days, Savage M99's and Model 12's- believe Art Carter did a article on him years ago in SC magazine--

Edmund Osthaus- I have a framed Litho of his painting of "Sport's Peerless Pride" had several Remington double guns and was an avid wingshooter. He did quite of bit of commissioned work in his Florida studio before his untimely death in 1929- and hunted dove and quail there I believe.

Not sure about Ogden M. Pleissner- I have the Peter Berg book about his career and wingshooting is mentioned a bit, but I don't know about his choice in firearms-:cool:

Dave Suponski
11-01-2009, 10:17 PM
Francis,I met and shot sporting clays with Chet Reneson and his Son this past summer. He is a true gentleman and a fine shot I may add.

Dean Romig
11-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Griffin & Howe's Research Department, headed by Robert Beach, charges a very reasonable $50 for the letter and associated research documentation and will necessarily charge extra for each additional page of documentation. I think I have stated their pricing policy correctly but if I'm wrong I hope Mr. Beach will set the record straight.

Destry L. Hoffard
11-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Dean,

He must have done a lot of it then, because once I got to thinking about it, I've seen 10-12 pieces myself and it's not something I ever really looked for. Everything from cuff links to ladies brooches. Maybe he did make a few pieces personally but I'd say that some was done by a jewelry company and his name affixed.

Destry

Destry L. Hoffard
11-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Here's a guy that actually has some of the brooches available for sale:

http://www.sportingspirit.com/index.html?trig=manuf&manuf=Hunt%2C%20Lynn%20Bogue&startatsb=131

And all this discussion has made me remember I have one of the pheasant ones myself. If anybody wants it for $125 I'm happy to sell. That's about half what this guy is asking and he's apparently sold several pieces at his prices. Mine is marked on the back Lynn Bogue Hunt - Sterling.

Destry

Don Kaas
11-02-2009, 05:00 PM
When you find some LBH canvasback pins, save them for us...

Destry L. Hoffard
11-02-2009, 05:07 PM
If it was any kind of a duck pin do you think I'd be offering it for sale? *wink*

Destry

Don Kaas
11-04-2009, 06:38 PM
I just paged through my copy of Kevin Shelly's bio of LBH, "A Sporting Life" (2003 Derrydale) and I can find no reference to any jewelry. BTW, in January, Bogardus and Kimble signatures will join LBH's signatures in the guestbook of the Sandy Island Gun Club as well as they already have at the PGC..the great ones always hang together like Mickey, Billy, Hank and Whitey at Toots Shor's ...:bowdown:

I had an email correspondence with Mr. Shelly and he states that he has seen some Hunt labeled jewelry and he thought it dated from the 1950s or even 1960s. This was when LBH and then his estate licensed a large number of items.

Bill Murphy
03-27-2011, 10:06 AM
Does anyone have any recent information on Lynn Bogue Hunt and his guns?

Bill Murphy
03-27-2011, 04:16 PM
According to Walt Snyder, Lynn Hunt, of Bronx, New York, the person I mentioned from a Parker order, is not "Lynn Bogue Hunt". Investigation continues.

Dean Romig
03-27-2011, 11:19 PM
To add more intrigue to the 'chase'.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=223490&gonew=1#UNREAD

Bill Murphy
03-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Walt had asked me to research Lynn Hunt for him. I early on assumed that this was LBH, but I was surprised to hear from Walt that this is not the case. Maybe we will get to see Lynn Hunt's SAA Parker if the owner will come forward. I suppose it is with "one of us", but whom?