PDA

View Full Version : Hinged Trigger

E Robert Fabian
10-24-2009, 06:39 AM
I'm interested in opinions why someone would order a hinged trigger. The only reason I can come up with is it allows one to get a gloved finger in between the two triggers. My CH has them on it and they work very well, they seem to be a bit crisper on the trigger pull. The CH is a 12 ga. 30" F F flat top rib with round knob pistol grip 1901 I think.
Thanks Bob

Danny McHugh
10-24-2009, 06:47 AM
I think it is because you have less of a chance to get your finger wacked by the fwd trigger when you use the rear@

E Robert Fabian
10-24-2009, 07:11 AM
I have had that brought up before but have never heard of anyone getting hit with the forward trigger.

Larry Frey
10-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Robert,
The explanation that Danny gives is the same as the authors of TPS. Page 136 of volume one indicates that in 1926 Parker advertised the articulating front trigger as available on grades AH and above but that the records show a few guns as low as DH were made with this feature. It is also noted that to replace the standard trigger with the articulated trigger was a simple matter and some guns may have been change by the factory at the customer’s request. TPS considers this a very rare item so you are very lucky to have this option on your Parker.

E Robert Fabian
10-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Thanks Larry, I'll check out TPS.

Bruce Day
10-27-2009, 01:08 PM
Yours is the only C I have seen with a hinged front trigger. They are more commonly on A's and higher, but none are common. Enjoy.

My right index finger has never been stung on recoil by the front trigger, but I hear sometimes of people complaining about it and saying they prefer a single trigger. My guess is that it happens to some people with large diameter fingers.

Richard Flanders
10-27-2009, 01:23 PM
I've never been whacked by a front trigger but do like more room for the back trigger when shooting in winter with an insulated glove. Never a problem in summer with an uninsulated glove.

Dean Romig
10-27-2009, 01:44 PM
My guess is that it happens to some people with large diameter fingers.

- or an inadequate grip on the wrist of the stock.

We went around and around on this subject over on the Shooting Sportsman forum about a week ago. The thread was on the Trojan 16 Ga.

Dave Fuller
10-27-2009, 04:23 PM
I know its blasphemy to some but I prefer the single trigger precisely because my index finger gets cut up on some double trigger (especially the repro.s). My fingers are not especially fat (like my torso is). I don't seem to have the problem with a straight stock, however.

E Robert Fabian
10-27-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks Bruce, The gun has the full checkered rounded pistol grip which needs freshening and needs a pad, old one falling apart. I like the dimension and I've taken it out and harvested a few ducks and whacked a couple of Crows while it's in a well worn state.

Dean Romig
10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Another rare feature of Bob's CH is the checked or etched trigger faces. This trigger treatment was usually only ordered by competition shooters. Judging by the hinged and etched triggers, I'd say the shooter who ordered that gun knew his game well.

Bob, will you show us more of your CH? Do you have a Research Letter on it yet?
Dean

Bruce Day
10-28-2009, 06:54 AM
All the hinged front triggers that I've seen (not a lot) had checkered triggers front and rear, so I've assumed this was standard for a hinged trigger set.

To Larry Frey below: Damn. I'm told the memory is the second thing to go.

Larry Frey
10-28-2009, 07:34 AM
All the hinged front triggers that I've seen (not a lot) had checkered triggers front and rear, so I've assumed this was standard for a hinged trigger set.

Bruce,
Your memory is getting as bad as mine.;) Below is a picture of my 20 gage you posted a couple of weeks ago. The triggers on this gun have no engraving on them.

Dean Romig
10-28-2009, 07:52 AM
Larry, to me those triggers look to be etched but not checked, but it takes a very hard look . . . maybe it's not so much the memory as it is the eyes :shock:

Larry Frey
10-28-2009, 10:25 AM
Dean,
Maybe this pic is a little clearer. I can guarantee you the triggers are not etched.

Dean Romig
10-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Hey, wait a minute - that looks like Wilbur's Parker . . . I guess the owner of that fine Parker should know what the triggers look like, eh Larry? Did you get it back already?

Larry Frey
10-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Yes, in a beautiful new Huey case.

Dean Romig
10-28-2009, 11:17 AM
'bout time you got an appropriate case for that deserving Parker.

(I know, it's easy to spend somebody else's money)

Seriously, congratulations! I'm looking forward to seeing it close-up.
Bruce posted pictures last week so we knew it was close.

Bruce Day
10-28-2009, 11:50 AM
A Huey case is fit so exactingly that when you drop the stock into its space, you can feel the air being pushed out. Larry's case, with the brown cape buffalo leather, is elegant.

E Robert Fabian
10-28-2009, 08:47 PM
I do have a letter on it, a G. H. Pumpelly bought it in 01. The order and the many returns don't mention the hinged triggers but do specify a lite trigger pull, 30" flat top rib, 2 3/4 chambers, Lyman sights, Silvers pad, 2 1/4 DAH, 7 lbs. 14 oz. ordered light at muzzle. Mr Pumpelly was liked by PB they discounted his gun from $155.00 to $90.00.

Triggers are knurled or checkered
According to order books it was returned 4 times in 9 yrs.
Gorgeous gun Larry.

Dean Romig
10-28-2009, 08:54 PM
A Parker gun discounted is an investment. Obviously Mr. Pumpelly was a shooter of note and was in contact with other serious shooters who would probably, on his recommendation, order a Parker - hence the discount.

Larry Frey
10-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Bob,
Does your gun have a safety? If so does the letter mention it to be non-automatic? Like Dean says with a discount like that and the dimensions of your gun it would be reasonable to think it was sold to a pretty serious pigeon shooter.

E Robert Fabian
10-28-2009, 09:16 PM
The gun was sent back to have safety removed. I had one reinstalled because it was evident that gun was made with one.

Posted pics. on last post
I'm looking to get wood refinished and new pad, maybe after hunting season.

Dave Suponski
10-28-2009, 09:30 PM
I think the knurled triggers were most often seen on trap guns regardless of grade.My VHE 12ga.32"single trigger vent rib trap gun has a factory knurled trigger.

Dean Romig
10-28-2009, 10:03 PM
"knurled" now that's a pretty word . . . is it Polish?

Dave Suponski
10-29-2009, 07:52 AM
OK fine.....Checkered...Happy now?....:rolleyes:

Destry L. Hoffard
10-29-2009, 07:19 PM
It had a factory removed safety that lettered as such and you had it put back on? Being a fan of pigeon type guns I'd consider that a sin before the Almighty. Robert Robert.....

DLH

E Robert Fabian
10-29-2009, 07:47 PM
Destry, it was shipped with a safety, then sent back to have it removed. Looked like it needed a safety.
I wouldn't think of changing it if it came that way.
Still have the insert.