PDA

View Full Version : help with removing barrels

dianeflynn
05-31-2012, 08:06 PM
hello need advice on removing barrels, trying to remove to see any marks and take better pictures. 1874 underlifter hammer gun. i don't know how the forend is removed. i think there is a latch or lever, but don't know.

thank you, diane

Dean Romig
05-31-2012, 09:00 PM
If it has the keyed forend you need to start the key sliding by pushing on the narrower end with a pointed plastic tool like the pointed end of a hair comb. Once you start it you will be able to grasp the wider end between your fingers and pull it all the way until it stops. Now the forend will just about fall off. Now grasp the barrels firmly at the same time you depress the underlifter and the barrels will easily seperate from the action.

If your underlifter has a Deely & Edge latch simply put your finger in the hole and pull the lever down (away from the barrels) and the forend will come right off.

Hope this helps.

Dave Suponski
05-31-2012, 09:01 PM
Diane, The early lifter guns should have a sliding pin located in the forend wood. Holding the gun pinted away from you the pin will push out to the left.

dianeflynn
06-02-2012, 09:29 PM
thanks to both of you, the hair comb work, it was really easy we got some good pictures that i will post with lst post. thanks again.