PDA

View Full Version : Parker GHE Question

KCordell
10-10-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi,

I am new to the forum and met some of the Parker Gun Collectors while attending the Vintagers Cup. Great display and overall an excellent group of individuals - - - Thanks!!

I saw what appeared to be a GHE #176743 in a gunshop while on travel (still there I hope). It looked in fairly decent condition but someone appeared to have made some "modifications" to the stock (appears to be strait) and forend (beavertail??) and perhaps blued the damascus barrel. Would there be a way to determine what the original configuration was?

George Lander
10-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Mr. Cordell: The best way to tell is to order a letter from PGCA. If it is in the serialization book it will tell you the grade, extras, type of stock, gauge & barrel length. Also the year made. A letter will tell you more.

Best Regards, George

KCordell
10-10-2009, 11:22 PM
I was thinking about that but since I don't own it (yet) getting the letter would not be worth the investment. I do though have two new Parker acquisitions, thanks to a good friend, hunting buddy and forum member, that I will be getting letters for.

Per the serialization book, is it available on the web? The original configuration is all I am really after.

Chuck Bishop
10-11-2009, 07:15 AM
This particular gun is not in the Serialization Book and yes, you should be able to find the Serialization Book on the web.

If it's a damascus barrel, the rib inscription should say damascus and there should be a capital D on the right barrel flat. A true Parker beavertail forend should have the reinforcing screw visable on the end of the forend and the forend lug should be the one piece long type running full length from the lug back to where the barrels hit the flats. Measure the barrel length, they should, in most cases, be exact to the inch and should, again in most cases, have a small blank space at the end of the rib matting just before the rib ends. Hope this info helps you.

KCordell
10-12-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the information above guys...much appreciated.

Hmmm... I guess I only have two options:
1. Buy it and then worry about the details later.
2. Order the letter and wait and then hope it is still there when I get the letter.

Ok, I have to ponder this quickly.

Thanks all for your help.

KC

Destry L. Hoffard
10-12-2009, 04:37 PM
A damascus ejector gun would be pretty rare, I think I've seen maybe one.

DLH

Dan Houghton
10-12-2009, 06:57 PM
191653 is a damascus GHE on a 1 frame. They are out there...

Richard Flanders
10-12-2009, 11:10 PM
Destry: I have a #1-frame damascus GHE12.... thanks to Dave Miles of course.

Dean Romig
10-13-2009, 05:48 AM
I have an 0-frame 16 Damascus GHE, 79355. It went back to Meriden in 1913 for ejectors.

KCordell
10-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Thanks everyone.

Can you help me with pricing? This one has a english stock and beavertail forend (i think the forend was replaced). Case hardening is ~80%, barrels unpitted and shiney with no dents or marks. Damascus pattern shows use but not overly.

Sorry to ask this but I dont want to overpay.

Ross Berck
10-13-2009, 09:41 AM
sounds like a 1000-1500 gun to me. Modified stock and aftermarket beavertail hurts the value some .

I also have a GHE damascus and a DHE damascus

KCordell
10-13-2009, 09:56 AM
sounds like a 1000-1500 gun to me. Modified stock and aftermarket beavertail hurts the value some .

I also have a GHE damascus and a DHE damascus

I do not think the stock was modified. It is an original strait stock. Only the forend .

George Lander
10-13-2009, 04:48 PM
$1,200-$1,800 would be about right if the ejectors work properly.

Best Regards, George