PDA

View Full Version : DHE "live Bird" safety delete

Jared Valeski
01-27-2012, 02:40 PM
Saw this one on GB with a flat surfaced top tang and an obvious shadow from a safety slot being filled in. Is it at all possible that a letter would be so specific as to state it was returned for removal of safety, filling of slot and engraving the area? Or could it have been removed before it was originally shipped as in a gun that was already completed but was altered before shipment to fill a specific order? Or is it simply a gun someone made into a no safety?
JJV
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270570372

Dave Suponski
01-27-2012, 02:53 PM
Jared, That top tang looks very right to me. I am working on an article for a future Parker Pages on this very subject among other things. A letter could very well explain the safety issue.

Jared Valeski
01-27-2012, 02:58 PM
I own two safety delete Parkers. One DHE 30" and one VH 32" Both letter as they are including no safety. Both top tangs are radiused and not flat as most safety guns are. It certainly could be the picture, but the top tang looks flat and the shadow of the slot is sure visable. The engraving over the filled slot looks good but I have seen restorations of this area in the past that look better than this. If it letters, I would be OK with it. Interesting gun with what looks like non standard DH engraving. I especially like the Setter on the bottom surface.

Chris Travinski
01-27-2012, 06:21 PM
Jared, It looks correct to me, the guns with the safety delete feature did have the safety slot with a filler piece in it. The engraving is unique, I regret not buying it before because the previous seller had it listed for $3200. It was originally a straight grip stock, you can't see in these photos but the long tang has been cut short for the pistol grip stock.

Jared Valeski
01-27-2012, 06:36 PM
Both of my pre 1905 no safety guns that letter for such, have rounded top tangs and no evidence of having a slot for the safety . Is the flat tang and slot remnants something that appeared on the later era safety delete guns?
JJV

Chris Travinski
01-27-2012, 07:50 PM
My DHE letters without safety, the tang is filed round but you can definately see the edges of a safety slot like in the gun on GI.

Jared Valeski
01-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Chris, what year was your no safety gun made? I did not know they made them like yours and the one pictured on GB. I will try to add some pictures of my top tang tomarrow.

Chris Travinski
01-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Made in 1909, I'll try to get a close up of mine too.

Austin W Hogan
01-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Parker frames were routinely punched for the safety. The slot was filled when "No Safety" was specified on the order.

Best, Austin

Chris Travinski
01-28-2012, 01:44 PM
Jared, Here's a picture of the tang on my DHE. It looks flat, but is definately finished round and you can't see the edges of the filler piece in the picture but there there.

Chris_Caile
01-28-2012, 04:05 PM
I'm not sure if someone removed the safety, the letter I received had no mention of deleted safety.

Chris Travinski
01-28-2012, 04:34 PM
Chris, It looks like the safety is broken off. The sliding button is missing but the piece in the slot is still there. It's an easy fix if you know how to get the stock off, and you should be able to find one pretty easily.

Jared Valeski
01-29-2012, 12:15 PM
Here's some shots of No. 132544 DHE. The top tang is rounded and not flat and there are no signs of a slot. I am not brave enough to remove the stock, but I would like to see a pictures of a rounded tang no safety gun from the bottom of the tang.
JJV

Chris_Caile
01-29-2012, 07:36 PM
Chris, It looks like the safety is broken off. The sliding button is missing but the piece in the slot is still there. It's an easy fix if you know how to get the stock off, and you should be able to find one pretty easily.

I don't the gun in front of me yet. What I am told is that there is an engraved piece of metal in the slot. I will be looking for the safety pieces to have on hand to put it back to original.

Chris Travinski
01-29-2012, 07:42 PM
Chris, Broken or not it's an easy fix, don't let it be a deal breaker.

Jared, Your gun is very similar to mine, my serial number is 152604.