PDA

View Full Version : DHE 16 revisited

Harold Lee Pickens
01-26-2012, 04:37 PM
On a post from Dec 8-9, 2011 i had posted pictures and discussion about my DHE 16 which has a straight grip, but the factory letter matches all dimensions, except the letter states a pistol grip. On your recomendations, we removed the trigger guard, and yes the serial # was stamped in the stock under the guard. The guard also was stamped on the back(as well as engraved on the front) , with no evidence of a weld or later conversion to a straight grip. I have attached the letter. Jerry Andrews, who removed the guard agrees that the checkering on the side panels, although well done, did not appear to be Parker factory. It is a very nice gun as you can see and I am trying to decide whether to start hunting with it.

Christopher Lien
01-26-2012, 05:49 PM
On a post from Dec 8-9, 2011 i had posted pictures and discussion about my DHE 16 which has a straight grip, It is a very nice gun as you can see and I am trying to decide whether to start hunting with it.
-----------------------------

Harold,
Looks like a fun little Gamebird gun that would be great for close work over the dog... Not sure what's holding you back, take it out, shoot it, and enjoy it... Locking it up in a steel dark tomb for another 20 years would be a terrible injustice... IMHO

Best, CSL

Destry L. Hoffard
01-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Why wouldn't you hunt with it? If it's that much of a decision, what some of my Parkers suffer through in a season would make you shudder I'd imagine......

DLH

Richard Flanders
01-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Hunt it! I've been using my inherited VHE20 for 38 yrs and it still looks about like it did when I first received it.

Dave Suponski
01-26-2012, 07:24 PM
Careful Rich....You're dating yourself.....:rotf:

Harold Lee Pickens
01-27-2012, 09:32 AM
I probably will hunt that gun next year in the UP. I do hunt grouse very hard in rough terrain in SE Ohio and WV. As a competitve marathon runner and diehard tennis player, I cover alot of ground. To date, I have broken the stocks on a FoxC 16 witha SW stock, my VH 16 twice, and found the only strand of barbed wire i have ever seen in a clearcut in the UP and broke my VH 2o. Still, these guns were meant to be hunted and are not collectors items. I am curious to hear what you all think about the discrepancy between the factory letter and what has now been shown to be an original straight grip( except for the checkered side panels.

Bill Murphy
01-27-2012, 09:39 AM
We would need to see pictures to answer that question. There are many entries in the order books that don't agree with the final specification of the gun.

Harold Lee Pickens
01-27-2012, 09:50 AM
Bill, I did post those pictures on Dec 8-9, on my original thread. Ican post them again if you want. You did reply then that you didnt think the checkered panels were original and I agree. We did look longand hard at it to see if it was done to hide a repair, but if it was, it was very well done.

Harold Lee Pickens
01-27-2012, 11:15 AM
DHE 16 pictures

Brian Dudley
01-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Doesn't the S/N engraving look a bit high on that guard tang?

Destry L. Hoffard
01-27-2012, 12:18 PM
Wow! And I thought I was hard on my guns.

I'm with Brian, that serial on the tang looks odd. I've got a few straight grip guns and all mine have it pretty well centered.

Destry