PDA

View Full Version : humidity ?

Paul Harm
10-05-2009, 03:55 PM
What should the humidity be in a gun room ? Mine was at 70% and I was getting rust problems. I'm keeping it between 40 - 50% now. Is that low enough ? Paul

Brian Dillard
10-05-2009, 06:24 PM
I live in Colorado...humidity runs about 20% out here...no rust problems.

Kurt Densmore
10-06-2009, 09:49 PM
What should the humidity be in a gun room ? Mine was at 70% and I was getting rust problems. I'm keeping it between 40 - 50% now. Is that low enough ? Paul

Hey Paul, where have you been hiding out...?? I wouldn't know, but I do now that I need to get a thermometer and a hydrometer in there. It also serves as the beer fermenting and carbonating room....:shock:

John Dallas
10-06-2009, 09:53 PM
My basement is often damp, but I use a Goldenrod in my safe, and have never had any problems.

Paul Harm
10-08-2009, 09:00 PM
John, I had a Goldenrod and a 100 watt light- 70% humitidy. Now I run a dehumitifier. It seems ok at about 45% but the dehumitifer running keeps the temp at about 105 - a little hot. So I let it get to 50%, plug it in and when it gets to 40 I unplug it.
Kurt, how you doing ? Been keeping busy at the club - we built a covered/ inclosed 5-stand and a " pigion ring " . Along with our " duck towers " for the fall, we're having fun. You'll have to come out and shoot. Bring the "usual suspects" along. Paul

Mike Wilkerson
10-08-2009, 09:25 PM
I've read a lot about humidity in basements and safes. Has anyone ever tried using a vacuum food storage system in a safe or other long term storage? Size wise it should work for handguns and ammunition. I don't know if it would be able to pull a vacuum on a long gun though.

Mike

Destry L. Hoffard
10-09-2009, 03:58 AM
Paul,

I hope we're not talking about "relative humidity" here. Wait, I probably shouldn't tell that joke on the forum.....

DLH

Dave Miles
10-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Paul,

I hope we're not talking about "relative humidity" here. Wait, I probably shouldn't tell that joke on the forum.....

DLH

Oh, come on Destry. We can handle it. :rolleyes:

C Roger Giles
10-09-2009, 02:21 PM
Dave if Destry's stories about humidity will be rather steamy if he tells the storys I've heard him tell of his past, also probably present too.

Roger

Francis Morin
10-10-2009, 10:43 PM
Paul's humidity questions are good- I have both a Goldenrod and the circular canister with the treated crystals in my Browning Gun Safe- about once a year you put the canister in a 350 degree oven for a few hours, the pink color returns and you are "good to go"--A few other ideas in passing- I have my safe set on treated 4 x 4's- to keep if off the poured cement basement floor, cement is porous to some degree, depending on the mix, and hydroscopic in nature, like a sponge--I also have a dehumidifier and it runs on automatic, with the drain hose going into the sump pump. I also have two overhead 4 foot dual flourescent lights in the "Gun Room-Man cave" and they are on 24/7- not as much heat as incandescent, but some--

Now Paul-I have shot twice at your Club- the newer 5-stand building (I shot there in July) is great but I didn't see the pigeon ring then. Is this new since the last MI Side-By-Side event your club hosted? The only place I have shot "Club Birds" as far as pigeons are concerned in MI is up at Chuck Connell's club in Marion. Is your club going to have live bird shoots, or is this another great clays event? Could you possibly post some pictures of both the new five stand building and the pigeon ring? Thanks--

Yes, I have heard a "relative humidty" joke or two- something along the lines of an amorous mother-in-law, a surprise return early by your wife and a suddenly damp forehead, :shock:

Roger[/QUOTE]

Paul Harm
10-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Francis, I'm not very good at posting pictures. The pigion ring is clay birds. I e-mailed Marshall Williams [ he writes the ALOOF column in Shotgun Sports ] a few times about the live birds he's shot to get an idea of ring size and how far to stand from the machine. It's a " work in progress " , so to speak. Anyways, we enjoy it, guess that's all that counts. I'm not worth the shells I shoot when it comes to that game. Paul