PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Rich Merrill
01-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Greetings, all.
My Parker is #207996, 12 ga, A Vulcan Steel, V grade (grade 0 from what I have read) and a 1 frame. On the site I read that it was made in 1925.

My grandfather gave it to me back in the mid 60's. (I actually carried it broken down in a canvas case under my seat on a plane back home to Florida. Amazing thought now-a-days.) I believe my grandfather was the original owner. I even have three brown paper tags that came with the gun. They have "directions" and two cut-away views showing lube points (Signet Oil recommended). And one has the test fire info: 30 inch target at 40 yards, Left barrel 250 pellets and Right barrel 150 pellets. (suspiciously round numbers?) I'll have to scan and upload these tags later.

Interestiing stuff: My grandfather was born and grew up in Lyman, Maine, near Wells. Family homestead was on the corner of Alfred Rd and Day Rd. Nothing left but a cemetery. He gave me the gun because I was the first grandson and I was born in Meriden, CT.

When I got out of college I lived in Texas and did a lot of duck and dove hunting. And shot skeet and trap. I used my Parker often, never suspecting that it was such an important gun. UNTIL one of the guys at the skeet range offered me a matched pair (12 and 20 ga) Remington high grade, 1100's for it. No deal, too much sentimental value. Later I learned that it may be worth more than that. I moved back north in the 70's and have only fired it occasionally since then. Took my grandson shooting last summer but that is about it. I clean it every year. Now I'm retired on the Eastern Shore of Maryland with lots of shooting opportunities. Should I be shooting it?

I'll be posting photos and some more questions later.

E Robert Fabian
01-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Shoot away Rich, lots of members here run thousands of rounds threw theirs.
I was just up on Day Rd. a couple weeks ago... a couple of real beautiful old colonials on that road.
Cheers Bob

Rich Merrill
01-04-2012, 06:03 PM
The house closest to the SE corner was the Roberts house. Between that house and the corner was the Merrill house. It burned in the '47 fires. My great grandfather married a Roberts girl. My grandfather was born and raised there. His father is buried in the little cemetery across the street. He died in a sawdust avalanche at a sawmill near Alfred, when my grandfather was very young. I saw the cemetery for the first time back in Sept.

Daryl Corona
01-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Rich,
Welcome to the PGCA website. Where on the Eastern Shore do you live? There are lots of good clubs to shoot within an hour of the Bay Bridge. I live outside of Balto. so if there is anything I can help you with don't hesitate to PM me on this site. Go ahead and shoot the old girl and have fun. I'm on the shore quite a bit so maybe we could link up and shoot some clays.
Regards,
Daryl

Rich Merrill
01-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Easton. I used to shoot 20 or so, out of 25 at skeet. When I took the grandson out last summer, I was lucky to get 10 (or less). I'll need to sharpen up before I even shoot in public again.

Dean Romig
01-04-2012, 07:47 PM
Rich, some friendly advice to you... Take "Double Lab" Daryl up on his offer - you'll never meet a nicer guy in this organization.

Dave Suponski
01-04-2012, 08:35 PM
Yup, I agree with that. He is just the guy to hook up with......:)

Daryl Corona
01-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Aw, Gee willikers guys, stop it I'm blushing.

Rich Merrill
01-09-2012, 06:42 PM
Well, I finally took some pictures. I think I know what some of the numbers and marks mean, but I'd be interested to get some professional interpretations. I thought it was a #1 frame but I measured 1-1/8" centerline to centerline of the firing pins. Is that a #2 ???
The weight (3-10) , Is that 3lbs 10 oz for the barrels? All the serial numbers that I could find match up. None of the screws seem to be buggered up. The only real flaw I could find is in the stock at the butt plate. A chip in the plate and two little chips in the stock. I actually own a replacement butt plate, but it would require some significant fitting and woodwork to install. Comments?

When the weather clears up, I'll go outside and attempt a pastoral photo of the gun, like Labowner and Doublelab. I guess I've gotta get a dog?

charlie cleveland
01-09-2012, 06:54 PM
nice gun.... charlie

Jeff Kuss
01-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Rich,
I believe that your gun is a 1 1/2 frame. If you look on the barrel lug you can see the 1 for the 1/2. I have seen this alot on guns around your serial number. I believe that the stamp was worn and didn't stamp the whole number. I have a couple of guns stamped like that. There are several gunsmiths out there that will fix your butt plate with black accu glass. They can also fix the wood if you want it fixed. My advise is to enjoy shooting it.
Jeff

calvin humburg
01-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Rich, What a neet VH with a stright grip. How about a picture of the whole gun. Having the hang tags is really neet. I would like to see them. You should send off for a letter.

Rich Merrill
01-10-2012, 07:19 AM
I saw one post about a "letter". What's the deal? Where do you write?

calvin humburg
01-10-2012, 07:25 AM
Rich, Go to home page click on research letter. There is a discount on the cost if your a member. It will tell where it was shipped to and the info. on the gun. The year shipped. You put in your serial # and it will tell you if there is information on it available.

Rich Merrill
01-10-2012, 08:12 AM
Aha, I tried and they came up empty. Part of the group of lost redcords, I guess.

Rich Merrill
01-10-2012, 11:03 AM
A couple more photos. The original tags. Somewhat oily.
I thought the original string was a neat touch.

I would love to have seen a price tag.

Bruce Day
01-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Parker stocks are serial numbered to the gun and are important for originality. The chips can be repaired by a competant gunsmith .

Bill Murphy
01-10-2012, 11:50 AM
Great gun. Straight grip is quite scarce and the tags are a wonderful added touch. I would repair the buttplate before I would try to fit a reproduction.

Bill Murphy
01-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Have you investigated the Talbot Rod and Gun Club?

Rich Merrill
04-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Thanks all.

David Hamilton
04-17-2012, 03:00 PM
It is great to see a gun that has been cared for by competent owners. The 1 1/2 frame 12g a is a great weight , at least for me. I shoot my 1 1/2 better that my two frame guns because of the weight distribution and I fuss I'm getting a bit weaker as I (hopefully) age slowly. Certainly I am slower. David