PDA

View Full Version : Please tell me something about this gun

Jeffrey Cruz
09-29-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm new the the site and I'm awaiting a letter, but otherwise please assist me.

Frame size is 1 on barrell lug.

There is no grade on the watertable.

SN 45680. SN is stamped on barrell, trigger guard, and handguard.

Weight says 3(12). [what does that mean BTW]. I cannot tell the grade.

Barrell is 30".

I do believe it is a 12 gauge.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post pics later. I took pics last night but they wont upload. I suspect because the pics are 2.37 mb each, and the site says you upload much less on jpeg.

Harry Collins
09-29-2009, 10:25 AM
You are the proud owner of an 1885 grade "0" 12 gauge with 30" Plain Twist barrels. 3 12 is the unfinished weight of the barrels.

Is this a family Parker?

Harry

Robin Lewis
09-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Have you gone to www.parkerguns.org and "clicked" on Parker Identification on the left hand side of the page? Try that, it may answer your questions.

Jeffrey Cruz
09-29-2009, 11:06 AM
You are the proud owner of an 1885 grade "0" 12 gauge with 30" Plain Twist barrels. 3 12 is the unfinished weight of the barrels.

Is this a family Parker?

Harry
---------------------------------
It is not a family parker but it will be.:rotf:

I collect guns of all sorts but over the past few years I've collected antique guns. THis one was from a chain sports store which had it in it's glass cage for over a year. The price dropped, and dropped, then I made my move. I can't wait to post pics so you all can tell me more.

Does 3 12 mean 3 pounds 12 ounces?

How can you tell that it's a zero grade?

Jeffrey Cruz
09-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Here are the pics

http://s1010.photobucket.com/albums/af221/jeffsquire66/

Harry Collins
09-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Jeffrey,

That is a very good looking Parker. Loveingly used with honest wear. Yes, 3 pounds 14 oz and "Parker Gun Identification and Serialization" book tells grade, type of barrels, their length, stock configuration, and any extras it left the factory factory with such as extra barrels, single trigger, beavertail forend, etc.

Harry

Jeffrey Cruz
09-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the commentary, Harry. Can you or anyone tell me does this shotgun have some sort of title. For example, on the Parkergun.org site, guns are designated PH, DH, VH AA!. . .DOes this shotgun carry such a designation? Or is it known only as a "0" grade 12 GA?

Carl Brandt
09-29-2009, 04:59 PM
Jeffrey,

No special designator like the later guns... "0 grade, top lever hammergun" or "grade 0, fish-tail top lever hammergun" It's more of a description because there were so many variations.

By the way that's a very nice gun. Later serial no for a smooth top rib and fairly early for a fish-tail top lever. Take some more photos of the top of the frame showing the lever and maby someone will comment on where this gun stands for the particular variations.

Carl.

Jeffrey Cruz
09-30-2009, 01:32 PM
Jeffrey,

No special designator like the later guns... "0 grade, top lever hammergun" or "grade 0, fish-tail top lever hammergun" It's more of a description because there were so many variations.

By the way that's a very nice gun. Later serial no for a smooth top rib and fairly early for a fish-tail top lever. Take some more photos of the top of the frame showing the lever and maby someone will comment on where this gun stands for the particular variations.

Carl.

I tried to put in as many angles as possible. I'm open for any comments about what this is, designation and such.