PDA

View Full Version : Remington VHE

Herb Hewlett
12-06-2011, 03:33 PM
Remington VHE 239836 Chokes -.032 &.032, Remington on bottom of receiver,all matching #s, On brlls its marked Parker bros makers Meriden,Ct. USA Vulcan steel, Is this normal for Remington Parkers,in other words did they just use up Parker Bros. brlls ? What info. do the punch cards give if any,like choke conscriction,where it was shipped,when it was shipped,ect Thanks,Herb

Bruce Day
12-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Yes
No
No
No

Grade, gauge, barrel length, stock config, options only

Bill Murphy
12-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Bruce's snappy and very impolite answer does not tell you that the person or business the gun may have been sold to may very well be mentioned on the IBM card. The date of shipping is also often mentioned. Yes, the Meriden marked barrels are correct for your gun. Most Remington Parkers were made in Meriden. Only the last few were actually made in Ilion. To be honest, I don't know when the IBM cards were initiated, so I don't know whether your gun's provenance will come from the stock books or the IBM cards. Either way, if there is no information, you will get your check back. I just checked, and your gun it beyond the stock book entries, so any information will come from IBM cards or possibly some incidental research material available to us.

Bruce Day
12-06-2011, 07:05 PM
I gave exactly the answers to the questions posed. I have a similar SN gun, only in the IBM cards, and that is exactly what they tell me, nothing more, nothing less.

Mr Murphy, please feel free to contact the webmaster if you feel that the answer was impolite.

Bruce Day, not a Parker expert in any way.

Bill Murphy
12-06-2011, 07:30 PM
A one card example doesn't determine what will be found on the hundreds of other IBM cards. The poster may very well find more information than you suggest. I don't need the webmaster's permission to tell you that you are no service to those who enter this site for information. You have been called out on your poor attitude by several members. If it weren't for the wonderful pictures you post, we would be even more critical of the first impressions you give to prospective new members.

Eric Eis
12-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Bill remember my VHE 28ga skeet gun, Remington gun that even included the man who bought it that you reaserched for me.

Gary Carmichael Sr
12-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Now now boys, remember Santa Claus is coming to town,aaaand he knows if you been good or bad! so be good for goodness sakes!

Bill Murphy
12-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Eric, we also discovered D. Lee Braun's 28 gauge skeet gun from IBM cards, as well as Annie Laurie Crawford's DHE two barrel set. Other interesting IBM cards are pictured in The Parker Story. I recommend that Mr. Hewlett take a shot at a PGCA letter to see whether his gun is identified by customer as many are through the IBM card entries. Most IBM cards I have examined at least have a date entered.

Christopher Lien
12-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Bill,
On the IBM card information you mentioned above, what were the serial number ranges of Eric's gun and the others, were they all numerically close, or were they randomly scattered in the later Remington/Parker time period?...

Best, Chris

Bill Murphy
12-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Chris, only Mark knows at which serial number the IBM cards start, unless it is mentioned in The Parker Story. When we found the cards in the Remington Archives, they were a bit mixed up. We did get them in order to copy them, but I don't remember the serial number range. I think they go to the very beginning of Remington ownership of Parker Brothers. There is quite a bit of overlap of Stock Book records (last entry 238,934) and the first IBM cards (236,000 range or earlier). There may be IBM cards for much earlier guns that may have still been in stock. The latest IBM cards are probably the last numbers in the Serialization Book, (241,788). I hope Mark posts to give us the information.

Christopher Lien
12-07-2011, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the insight Bill, The stock book records overlap helps narrow the window during the transition between Parker/Remington... I've often wondered if there was a specific reason why some IBM cards contained very little information, while others seem to have much more detail. Perhaps it had to do with a particular time period, or maybe it was dealers like Kerr's Sporting Goods placing special orders for high profile customers that resulted in more details applied to the cards?... I'm also interested to see if Mark has a theory or knows why some IBM cards had more information than others?...

Best, CSL

Bill Murphy
12-07-2011, 09:14 PM
I have IBM card copies as early as February of 1935. I assume there are IBM cards with 1934 dates, but don't know for sure.

calvin humburg
12-08-2011, 08:11 AM
I agree with Gary. I'm sure a few of my posts were taken wrong. Bruce is quite knowledgeable and enjoyable to visit with. Sometimes I just need to say "enough allready" actually I would never say that, got it from a movie. B more like $%^ &&&*( ))(*& or you'll b walkin round with my size 11 in your #$%:rotf: best ch