PDA

View Full Version : Silvers Pad

Derrick Stewart
09-28-2009, 09:25 AM
Who else other than CSMC (in the US)sells the Silvers pad? I thought it was Jeffs Outfitters but he doesn't list them on his website.

Can someone also tell me the thickness of this pad?

Derrick

Jay Gardner
09-28-2009, 10:40 AM
I bought one from CSMC earlier this year and had it installed by Brad Bachelder in GR Michigan (who also sells them). My pad is 7/8" thick at the center of the butt.

Hope that helps,

J

Derrick Stewart
09-28-2009, 10:44 AM
Jay,

Yes it does.

Gregory Miller
09-28-2009, 02:04 PM
I thought they were available in a couple of thicknesses. I got mine through Mitch Shultz at Gunsmithing Limited in Fairfield, CT who installed the pad.

After this picture was taken I used a little sandpaper to take around 1/8" out of the pad to get a better fit for my LOP.

John Dunkle
09-28-2009, 03:15 PM
Actually - I have a new Silvers 1.5" pad that I bought a couple of years ago for an 0 frame, but it wouldn't fit... Soooo - here is the deal...

I will send this to anyone *for free* provided they:

- Are a PGCA Member (not just a Member of this Forum);
- Have at least 10 posts on this forum;
- Have a project gun they can use it on (no parts hoarders ;) )...

I think I paid about $50 + shipping for it? But, if you meet all the conditions above and can use it - be the first to post in this thread - and PM me your snail mail address and I'll send to on to you...

(Picture below)..

John

Derrick Stewart
09-28-2009, 03:25 PM
John,
Check your PM

John Dunkle
09-28-2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks Derrick!!

Sorry folks - guess you have to be fast around "these parts"... ;)

Derrick - I'm thrilled it can help you out with your Parker!

:cheers:

John

Derrick Stewart
09-28-2009, 03:45 PM
PM Sent

John Dunkle
09-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Pm replied to ;)

Best to you!

John

Jay Gardner
09-28-2009, 09:12 PM
I thought they were available in a couple of thicknesses. I got mine through Mitch Shultz at Gunsmithing Limited in Fairfield, CT who installed the pad.

After this picture was taken I used a little sandpaper to take around 1/8" out of the pad to get a better fit for my LOP.

That's a damn fine stick of walnut under the pad. Care to share the details behind that gun?

JDG

Dean Romig
09-28-2009, 10:20 PM
In Greg's absence, I'll answer what I know about it.
That's a C-grade stock on Greg's VHE as you can see from the checkering and appears to be a Remington job judging by the fact that it is American Black Walnut and the serial number is stamped under the trigger guard. But I do not know if he has a letter attesting to this.

Gregory Miller
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
A Meriden/Remington VH with Grade 4 wood and checkering. The numbers all match, and under the tang it is stamped with a 4as one would expect if it had been a CH. All that exists for records is Book 82, from which we know that it was completed on December 28, 1935, as a VH12, 26" barrels, Mod/Full, DT, PG, and that it was shipped to Dakin Sporting Goods in Bangor, ME a few days after it was completed. Add to the odd column that it is a VH built in '35, Ser. No. 237xxx. The catalog said all the guns were VHE by then, but I guess if you could pay, you could play.

The gun has been seen by a number of members and it appears to be as the factory built it. As they say, never say never. The wood was in tough shape when I got it, and the pad had been replaced. I have attached a picture of the forend tip with the VH metal on the fancy wood with fine checkering. Next to it on the left is what one would expect on Grade wood with the fancier tip (on my PH16). And, another shot of the opposite side of the stock and the forend.

I bought this one to shoot and do so regularly. A pretty old gun. I wish I knew more.

Dave Fuller
09-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Here's a PH with a Silvers pad and a not-too-shabby piece of wood.