PDA

View Full Version : Stock wood care and maintenance

Jack Cronkhite
09-26-2009, 11:17 PM
If one encounters a reasonably good condition original finish stock and cannot resist using it in the field, what products are recommended to maintain the finish, given a century or more of survival?

Jack

Drew Hause
09-27-2009, 06:29 PM
Several products and links are shown here Jack http://www.lcsmith.org/faq/cleangun2.html
I've been impressed with the Howard Feed-N-Wax on the wood, and RenWax on the metal surfaces, but good ol' Johnson's works on both :)

Jack Cronkhite
09-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Drew: Thanks for the link. A wealth of info there. If it works for "Elsie" it has to work for "Charlie". I have never waxed metal but will give that a go. I have been soaking 108603 in Gunk rad cleaner. That gun was beyond redemption for most. I bought it for a couple hundred just for the barrels but decided to attempt a restoration. Absolutely everything was extremely rusted to the point of seized main springs. I think it was Richard Flanders who suggested Gunk and I have been quite amazed. I immersed the action in Gunk and left on holidays (couple months) and returned to an action that has dropped its rust and became blue once more (there was no CC left except in protected areas and the Gunk did not obliterate that little bit.) I became a fan of Gunk.

My pheasant season begins in four days:) I just got 104355 and it is my best (of four) VH Parkers. I will break it in on opening day and hope to add photos to the "Hunting with Parkers" forum.

Cheers,
Jack